What Happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Hello everyone. :( I don't know what happened to my one batch of bath bombs. Around the 4th or 5th day, I noticed little brown spots on them. I dug them out. :oops: Then, I got more of them! Looks like it could have been mold. I don't understand why. I didn't use water, only citric acid, baking soda, FO, epsom salt, and a little borax. I've used everything before but the borax, but don't think this contributed. Could it be the FO? It was Smores, and was supposed to be bomb compatible. I am determined to make these bombs until I"m satisfied with them. Please give your valued opinions.

I have had spots on my bombs before. I assumed it was mold & tossed them. Bombs are so finicky! Did they get hard or are they still soft? Was it humid the day you made them? You did not wrap them too soon did you? They MUST air dry at least a week to get good & dry or they will mold for sure if you bag or wrap them still moist.

Tab: They weren't even a week old! It has been in the 40's, even hit 60 degrees for a day. They were sitting and drying out on my dining room table, just like I have done with them before. What surprised me is that they were the dryest bombs that I have made overall, held shape well, and should have been pretty good bombs. The only thing I could figure is either the baking soda had moisture in it (?) or the FO was not suitable. :evil: Don't know. Do know one thing - I am DETERMINED to make those blasted things the way I want them to be! :x

Back