What happened to my soap paste?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexlane

Reaction score
i made this castile (100% OO) KOH soap Paste a few weeks ago and made some great soap with it right after making the paste.
cut to today when i made to make more soap... i found this hiding in hte center of my soap paste....
20201029_094643.gif

They look like..... little eggs is all i can think... kinda gross. obviously they are not. but it still disturbs me. it also looks like the center "gelled" more than the outer and upper areas of the container, you can see the difference in color (not just my wierd plant light i forgot was on >.<) this is, admittedly, my second batch with this recipe and the first worked beautifully... but it had not been sitting as long either... there is no strange smell... if anything i feel the smell has improved... less olive-y >.>

so if any LS Makeing Masters have seen the likes, is it safe? my biggest concern. and what is it?! pure scientific curiosity.
thank you in advance! xD

RECIPE:

Last edited:
just resized the photo. think admin took it down. if thats not the reason im not sure.

I'd say it's just bits of soap higher in stearic and palmitic acids that have crystallized out from the surrounding soap that's probably higher in oleic acid. This is something like the "stearic spots" that show up sometimes in cold process bar soap. If so, it's just a cosmetic issue that might disappear with a good stir, and should definitely disappear when the soap is diluted.

Back