what happened or didn't happen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
So I've been working 60+ hours at work, and trying to get my family gift baskets all ready before next Saturday. Trying to get 5 different soaps all ready is A CHOIR. The baskets (all 8 of them) will have 5 soaps, homemade candy, and homemade dog biscuits in them. I should had started all this around Halloween instead of Thanksgiving. I noticed something new to me a few days ago and it has stayed with pretty much all my batches. Curious whats going on.

Sorry for the poor shot here but this bar has a darker center all the way around and wgat look like pits inside, but the surface is smooth.
20131204_195816_zpsd8f5579b.jpg

This is a better shot of the "pits". I kind of like the rustic look, but still curious as to what it is.
20131204_195834_zps544fa2b0.jpg

Then this was my VERY feeble attempt at a small swirl. The scent in this soap is ocean mist so it kind of looks like ocean waves!
20131204_195919_zps18ddb694.jpg

But any help on those first 2 would greatly be appreciated!

The first photo looks to me like partial gel, while the "pits" look like an organic material added to the soap which has reacted with the lye. If you post your recipe, soaping temp, etc. someone else may be able to help you further. Cheers!

I am not sure about the specs in the soap, as i am still learning. But based on what i have read with other's posts, it looks like the batches were lye heavy. As far as the dark circle in the center, i have had that happen a time or two. The only thing that i can think of is it happens when there are a lot of super moisturizing oils and essential oils in it. They basically settle to the center. But i don't think you have a thing to worry about, i have had batches do both, and they were safe to use. Hope this helps, and as always, there is someone else who can tell you a lot more than what i did!

I'd also say that the darker area is partial gel - same thing happened to my soap but it was a lot more noticeable. It's just where the core was hotter than the outer edges and so it reacted differently (gelled) while the outer parts didn't. It won't cause any issues, just looks a little odd. I don't see how any particular oils or EOs/FOs would stay 'settled' in the middle rather than the bottom to be honest, My Mountain.

As for the pits, I'll leave that for other people to answer as I am really not sure

The first picture definitely looks like a partial gel. It's kind of hard to see from the pic, but am I correct in seeing that the pitted areas are only inside the gelled area, and that outside of the ring everything is okay? If so, then heat is what's causing the pitting. Try keeping your soap ungelled and see if the problems don't go away.

Last edited:
My oatmeal, milk and honey soap did that too. It overheated in the center and caused some bubbling and pitting in the gelled circle. Anytime you see a slightly darker circle in the center of your cut bar it's caused by gelling and if the bubbling or pitting is only in that circle it's from over heating. There's nothing wrong with the soap, just doesn't look how you planned is all.

Thanks everyone! Most of my recipes are as follows:
116g lye
318g of frozen coconut milk (subed for h2o)
317g coconut oil
590g lard
2.5oz fragrance
My mold is a handmade wood box, wrapped in numerous towels. Would that keep the heat in to much?

I planned on giving these as family gifts next Saturday but telling them to wait till the first of the year to use them so they can continue to cure. I appreciate all the feedback.

People often have to do a great deal to avoid gel - freezing and refridgerating the soap. But then to ensure a full gel, a towel is not always enough - I had partial gel when I had a towel around the mold.

I expect I'll have many more partials until I get the knack of avoiding it or having it fully one way or the other, especially when I try new recipes.

Fortunately these are going to family so they will love them regardless of appearance. So much to learn, so little time I have to actually do it all.

I'd also say that the darker area is partial gel - same thing happened to my soap but it was a lot more noticeable. It's just where the core was hotter than the outer edges and so it reacted differently (gelled) while the outer parts didn't. It won't cause any issues, just looks a little odd. I don't see how any particular oils or EOs/FOs would stay 'settled' in the middle rather than the bottom to be honest, My Mountain.

As for the pits, I'll leave that for other people to answer as I am really not sure

Ah, See! i learned something new today! Thanks for correcting me! Now i know what gelling is! :)

Back