What happened 😲

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
B1F9725D-90F9-4EAC-868A-A22B1121B39D.jpeg

I used olive oil drained from anise powder, ground sifted anise powder, lavender and peppermint eo. I used pork lard as I realized I didn’t have enough coconut oil (8 oz co). It was nice out of the mold and minute by minute it’s getting pinker 🧐 For colorant charcoal powder for bottom 2 layers and I am trying to make my green indigo turn blue(1 tsp in hot water with pinch of salt) which is the weird 3rd layer. I’ve read dos doesn’t show up for a while but these were instant.

Attachments

• E071F0C1-6628-437D-BDDE-2F93C1090DF1.jpeg
    E071F0C1-6628-437D-BDDE-2F93C1090DF1.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 11
Are you sure it's DOS? Spots don't look 'orange', they look more like an additive that didn't get dispersed thoroughly.

I don't understand. You think you have DOS? Where? I don't see it.

If none of the spots were intended but you used infused oils with a powdered spice, it is entirely likely some specks of spice where not sufficiently filtered out of the oil.

Also, how did you ad the indigo? As a power? It could also be producing spots.

If I understand you correctly, your question is related to the "weird third layer", which to me appears to be the one second from the top. Is that correct? Or is the layer in question with the suspected DOS a different layer? Or are you concerned about spots throughout?

In which case (if the latter), I agree with what TheGecko is suggesting - inadequately dispersed colorant. I find it very difficult to use a powdered plant product as a colorant without getting some spots of that material.

I don't understand. You think you have DOS? Where? I don't see it.

If none of the spots were intended but you used infused oils with a powdered spice, it is entirely likely some specks of spice where not sufficiently filtered out of the oil.

Also, how did you ad the indigo? As a power? It could also be producing spots.

If I understand you correctly, your question is related to the "weird third layer", which to me appears to be the one second from the top. Is that correct? Or is the layer in question with the suspected DOS a different layer? Or are you concerned about spots throughout?

In which case (if the latter), I agree with what TheGecko is suggesting - inadequately dispersed colorant. I find it very difficult to use a powdered plant product as a colorant without getting some spots of that material.
It is the spots I’m concerned about.I didn’t think it was dos since it appeared so fast. Looking closely I am thinking it’s the anise seed powder. Pretty colour if it was a bit more solid.
Is it still sellable?
As for the indigo I used 1 tsp with about 2 tbsp hot water and a pinch of salt and let it air for 20 or so minutes to try make it blue.

It looks like you are based in Alberta, Canada. My understanding is that you may not sell soaps in Canada without getting specific governmental approvals.

Also, I'm not trying to be harsh, but based on the questions you are asking, you don't appear ready to sell your soaps. You should know soapmaking inside and out, including how to spot real DOS, before you would ever consider selling.

Finally, when you used lard instead of CO, did you run the new recipe through the soap calculator? Hopefully you do know that you cannot just substitute one oil for another without putting it through the calculator to double-check the lye amount.

It looks like you are based in Alberta, Canada. My understanding is that you may not sell soaps in Canada without getting specific governmental approvals.

Also, I'm not trying to be harsh, but based on the questions you are asking, you don't appear ready to sell your soaps. You should know soapmaking inside and out, including how to spot real DOS, before you would ever consider selling.

Finally, when you used lard instead of CO, did you run the new recipe through the soap calculator? Hopefully you do know that you cannot just substitute one oil for another without putting it through the calculator to double-check the lye amount.
No harshness taken, appreciate the advice as I have just started making soap since making some for Christmas gifts and now am totally addicted. I have sold quite a few already to friends but don’t plan on anything like stores or even Farmers markets. Just want to make enough to keep supplies paid for, extra is a welcome bonus😁
And yes I do check lye calls. A few just to be sure. It appears I really miswrote my comments as I did say they were instant and dos doesn’t show until later. Really do appreciate any advice because there is a lot to learn😃

Back