What got you into soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade

Reaction score
Just curious how everyone got involved in soap making. For me, i went to the fair with my aunt and saw a booth with the yummiest scented homemade soaps. After using the soap I knew I could never go back to regular store bought soap and set out to learn how to make it for myself.

My mom always made soap when we were growing up. I didn't start making my own soap until just a few years ago when my mom stopped making it due to health reasons.

I was actually at a yard sale where a lady was getting rid of all her soap making supplies. I'd never really considered it before, but i decided it might be a fun hobbie to pick up.

I quit my job after my daughter was born and once she was old enough that she didn't need my constant attention I felt like I needed a hobby. I tried out a few different things but the thing i really enjoyed and have been doing now for 3 years is soap making. I'm addicted.

My friend gave me some homemade soaps for christmas one year and i fell in love. I had her teach me how she made them and i've been hooked ever since.

I was reading a magazine at the dentists office that had an article about homemade skin care products and soap. I thought it sounded like something I could get in to so I checked out every book i could find in the library and went to work making soap.

A friend gave me a bar he brought back from London w/ him. I loved it & attempted to buy another bar when I used mine up. It was $8.00 for 1 bar :shock: . I was looking around the internet for a cheaper version & stumbled across a recipe... that was 5 years ago...

I'm just crafty. If there is the slightest possibility I can make it for myself i usually try. I just started searching on the internet and reading books and asking silly questions on forums until i sort of figured it out.

My family has a problem with dry skin. I decided to venture out and found the many ways to make soap. I'm too scared to try cp right now but I love making mp soaps. My skin looks and feels way better and I no longer itch! My daughter is the one with scaly problematic skin so my soaps have helped her a great deal.

jellyfish said:
I'm just crafty. If there is the slightest possibility I can make it for myself i usually try. I just started searching on the internet and reading books and asking silly questions on forums until i sort of figured it out.

Yep, that's me too!!

My mom started making them a few years ago and got me into it as well.

We just moved to a new city and my husband travels a lot. Until i meet more people in the area i felt like i needed something besides housework too occupy my time. I went to the library and started researching a bunch of things like pottery, candlemaking, etc. I finally decided to start with soap making. Already it's such an addiction. I feel like i might need to start working part time just to pay for all the supplies i want to buy.

Same as you! Bought some Ren Faire soap (for $5 a bar), loved it so much, I decided to make my own.

I used to collect soaps as a child, and then when i got pregnant and I realised all the chemicals that were found in shampoos and bubble baths etc I decided to have a go at making it!

I have started to do the soap because a climate in Siberia guess what. :D Usual soap strongly dries up a leather, deprives some its necessary fat which protects. My self-made soap leaves a thin protective film on a leather and to me no frost is terrible! It also protects and from our aggressive sun, I went in the summer with the open hands and any burns! Self-made soap - the best! To do it it is complex, process labour-consuming, but result! :mrgreen:

A neighbor gave me homemade soap as a christmas gift once. After using it I realized I could never go back to regular store bought soap. I started buying it at craft fairs and online, but thought it would be more cost-effective to start making it myself. I didn't realize how expensive all the supplies would end up being, but by that point i was hooked. :D

We were at my husband's cousins house in Ga. She had it sitting on a plate on the counter. I asked "What is this?" She said "It's soap, I made it." I asked "You made it?" I thought that was so cool so I started buying books and the rest is history. Every night I had soap bars dancing in my head instead of sugarplums.

well it's like this. i quit my "carreer" of 8 years training show horses to move with the better half to eastern montana. started ranching and I needed to buy a ranch horse. then she was lonely so I bought her a goat. then, surprise! one morning there was a kid! then somehow I aquired a handful more nannies. now i have a boatload of milk and needed to do something with it. so I just tried soapmaking for the first time and love it already... I can't wait to try again this weekend! .....now on to cheesemaking.... ;)

I had some extra time on my hands a few years ago when I had to move to a new city. I wanted to fill my time as well as get to know new people in my area so I signed up for a soap making class.

I'm not sure why i picked soap making, i guess it just sounded interesting.

I'm hooked now.

I was at a health expo and saw some home made soaps, pulled out the laptop and found some recipes. Thinking there was only one way to make soap, I stopped at Michaels, found M&P and the rest is history :)

Back