What goes in the fridge?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lianasouza

Reaction score
Summer is coming... so I'm thinking about moving some of my ingredients from the cabinet to the fridge. It's an extra fridge where we keep dry goods, such as flours and beans, to prevent annoying flies from attacking them.

Here are some of my questions, I would really apreciate if you guys could comment on some of them:

1) Should I refrigerate only liquid oils or also hard oils and butters?

2) I have read that essential oils are better if refrigerated. Is it the same with fragrance oils?

3) Do ROE and vitamin E belong in the fridge?

4) How long can I keep an open bottle of distilled water before tossing it? Perhaps it should also live in the fridge.

Thank you for any extra tips you are willing to share!

Last edited:
First off, I appreciate how caring you are to your ingredients. They (hopefully) will be thankful and reward you with long-lasting products!

Now some selective, subjective opinions/experiences on selected of your points:

1) From a mere usability point of view, hard oils/butters might be better kept unrefrigerated (easier dosage). Bricks of cold tallow or shea or cocoa butter are a pain to work with. As an exception, lard is best stored cool. Coconut: you might or might not prefer scooping or pouring it.

I'd distinguish liquid oils: High-oleic oils like olive, HO sunflower, and also canola, rice bran, peanut, sesame and the likes don't need to be cooled (or might even flocculate/jellify/solidify at low temperature). High-linoleic/high-IV oils (HL safflower, walnut, hemp, flaxseed, poppy) are imperative in the fridge. Castor oil thickens up to a sticky goo, don't refrigerate it.

3) I've diluted a small amount of ROE 1+7 into HO sunflower oil as a stock solution (it is just too concentrated/hard to dose otherwise, and tends to sediment, but I am reluctant to shake/stir it up frequently), and dare store it unrefrigerated for frequent use. The ROE concentrate resides in the freezer.

It all depends as well on how much space you have in your fridge. When in doubt/when you have space left, put things in. It won't hurt (unless condensing humidity is a huge problem).
Under no circumstances put lye in the fridge.

Back