What fragrance makes you think of the ‘90’s?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably going to be different for everybody, but it will be fun to see everyone's posts:

80's.....my coming of age years....'designer' perfumes like Georgio and Stetson and Lauren and Obsession were a big deal and really 'in', but I chose to wear more of a vintage perfume from the '40's which was having a bit of a resurgence at that time (as was vintage clothing)...White Shoulders....and I also loved to wear Hawaiian White Ginger by Avon- those were my go-scents back then. When I smell them to this day, they transport me right back to the 80's.....and so does Georgio, because my MIL used to douse herself in Georgio back in the '80's. lol

90's was the decade I discovered Poison by Dior and fell in love with it....and still White Shoulders, too (it smells like a mix of orange blossoms and honeysuckle to me my nose, both of which I just really love). I can totally see why you think of denim, though. The 70's also reminds me of denim, too....it was so prolific that at one point in the 70's I even covered my schoolbooks in denim one year instead of the usual brown paper bag covering. lol

2000's was the decade of vanilla for me.....Warm Vanilla Sugar, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Vaniglia del Madagascar, Vanilla Flower....vanilla, vanilla, vanilla! For whatever reason I just couldn't get enough of vanilla fragrances! Sometimes I would even dab on some of my vanilla extract. lol

IrishLass :)
I used to also wear Hawaiian White Ginger! That was my favorite back in the early 80’s.

For me - it was Polo by Ralph Lauren. I LOVED it. Now I can’t stand the smell of it! Curious how things change.
I had a boyfriend back in the mid 80's that would wear this. I loved it, and now I can't understand why. LOL

It has nothing to with us not being together, we are still friends to this day, but that scent now, to me, is just not all that great. Or at least, not as great as I remember. Maybe it's changed. Or maybe I have.
Probably both!

00's were adult/college years - beer. Just kidding... anything by Bath & Body Works though, I was a huge collector. (hoarder, I was a hoarder.) My favorites were the stronger musky scents, Dark Kiss, Amber (something or another).
I just discovered Dark Kiss about 5 years ago, and LOVE it. I was sad they discontinued it, but they brought it back for a limited time and when they did I got the body spray/perfume. I am wearing that scent right now as I type this. LOL

I’m working on soap with some nostalgic embeds and I thought this was a fun thought experiment :rolleyes:

What fragrance makes you think of the 80’s? The 90’s? The 2000’s?

80’s - I think video games just hitting their stride, summertime, awkward stripes everywhere, and the overly fruity sweet smell of Hi-C takes me right back there! I think Energy by Brambleberry is very close!

90’s - Denim... does anyone make a denim fragrance oil? :lol:

2000’s - All I can think about is Backstreet Boys Millennium... Aroma Therapy by Nurture. It smells like a modern, Stark, office building with a brand new computer.

Iv just got some lemon sherbet fo and had cola cube fo for a while both take me back to the 90s back when i was in school granted late 90s for me but still the 90s. There was an old school sweet shop that sold sweets from the big plastic tubs that you would buy a quarter not sure what it was a quarter of but thats what i used to ask for lol

80s i was barely a baby so not clue but being a motorsport enthusiast i would go with something french maybe garlic. Just kidding but seriously though something relating to monte carlo that was a very prestigious race back in the 80s rally scene. Oh does anyone do a Castrol R fo lol iv actually been asked for that but not found anything. Or even 2 stroke scent lol.

2000s erm i would have to say cannabis because i used to smoke it back in mid 2000s

80’s for me would be scratch n’ sniff stickers, Me. Sketch markers and the strawberry shortcake dolls.

90’s god awful exclamation perfume, then the Body Shops fizzy peach or anything vanilla

Oh yes! We used to use that all the time in the mid to late 70's! Vermont Country Store still sells it and I've been tempted to buy some for nostalgia sake, but I haven't done so yet.

I saw it there flipping through one of their catalogs. I thought about buying it as well as it really did smell good. It was a favorite. I purchased an FO from somewhere that claimed it was Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific but it didn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings so I haven't put it in anything.

My sniffer is a little different than most :)
60's and 70's... pot
80's... Ocean
90's... Ylang Ylang and Nag Champa (both gross!)
00's... Sage

I just discovered Dark Kiss about 5 years ago, and LOVE it. I was sad they discontinued it, but they brought it back for a limited time and when they did I got the body spray/perfume. I am wearing that scent right now as I type this. LOL
I tried the dupe from WSP, it was ok in bubble scoops but was not strong enough in soaps at 1oz ppo. I currently have NG's Chocolate Orchid which smells much closer to the original (I have a traveler body spray that I picked up from the reboot, but can't bring myself to use 'cuz once it's gone it's gone...) but I haven't used it yet. I'll keep you posted how that one turns out!

90’s god awful exclamation perfume,
OMG, thank you! I could see the bottle so clearly in my mind but could not think of the dang name. Exclamation by Coty was the "must have". Someone gave me a bottle for my birthday and I actually hated it on me. I used Skin Musk.
upload_2019-2-13_14-12-35.png

Chocolate Orchid is a dupe of Dark Kiss?
My apologies for high jacking the thread... NG doesn't advertise it as a dupe of Dark Kiss, but my daughter and I were picking out FO's for a round of bubble scoop making and she brought it to my attention. We compared it to the body spray, and it's really really close. I can't compare to Aztec, but NG is much closer to BBW on my nose.

My apologies for high jacking the thread... NG doesn't advertise it as a dupe of Dark Kiss, but my daughter and I were picking out FO's for a round of bubble scoop making and she brought it to my attention. We compared it to the body spray, and it's really really close. I can't compare to Aztec, but NG is much closer to BBW on my nose.
Thank you! That's good to know. I love that scent! :)

Natures garden has a denim fragrance. It soaps beautiful and smells just like new blue jeans. Is like a cotton fresh soap with a twist. I really like it.

Natures garden has a denim fragrance. It soaps beautiful and smells just like new blue jeans. Is like a cotton fresh soap with a twist. I really like it.
Oh my gosh! I’m going to get it. I don’t know what I’m doing to do with it though! :D

The 90s for me was Love's Baby Soft (that incredibly sweet baby powder scent just brings the nostalgia back), cherry blossom, and pear.

OMG The 70s and Clairol herbal essences shampoo with Farrah F. on the cover. I know Brambleberry has a dupe. There are probably several dupes out there.

My Uncle smoked cherry pipe tobacco. SweetCakes sells a great cherry tobacco FO called Santa's Pipe that I love. WSP sells a 'Santa's Pipe' cherry tobacco FO, too, but since I haven't ever used theirs I cannot vouch for it. SweetCake's version I can vouch for and it is awesome. It does discolor to medium tan, but BCN's vanilla stabilizer keeps it white for up to 2 years.

Thank you, IrishLass! I've been tempted to buy the stabilizer, but so far have not, so perhaps I'll order from SweetCakes & BCN & give them both a try.

Thank you, IrishLass! I've been tempted to buy the stabilizer, but so far have not, so perhaps I'll order from SweetCakes & BCN & give them both a try.
I haven't tried SweetCakes, but know that NG's, BrambleBerry's and WSP's do not work. Or at least not as well as BCN's. I've tried them all, and by far BCN's keeps the discoloration at bay for a significantly longer time than the others. I can't remember which 2 without looking at my notes, but 2 of them didn't even hold the discoloration at bay through the full cure.

I'll vouch for WSP (Crafters Choice) not working worth a darn. I didn't try BrambleBerry's (I think I had some confusion regarding whether it was suitable for CP or only MP). I have used BCN's once, and the soaps are just starting to brown at 6+ months, but it's super slow and definitely not as dark as a 9% Vanillan should be.

Latest posts

Back