What fragrance makes you think of the ‘90’s?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaress

Reaction score
I’m working on soap with some nostalgic embeds and I thought this was a fun thought experiment :rolleyes:

What fragrance makes you think of the 80’s? The 90’s? The 2000’s?

80’s - I think video games just hitting their stride, summertime, awkward stripes everywhere, and the overly fruity sweet smell of Hi-C takes me right back there! I think Energy by Brambleberry is very close!

90’s - Denim... does anyone make a denim fragrance oil? :lol:

2000’s - All I can think about is Backstreet Boys Millennium... Aroma Therapy by Nurture. It smells like a modern, Stark, office building with a brand new computer.

I’m working on soap with some nostalgic embeds and I thought this was a fun thought experiment :rolleyes:

What fragrance makes you think of the 80’s? The 90’s? The 2000’s?

80’s - I think video games just hitting their stride, summertime, awkward stripes everywhere, and the overly fruity sweet smell of Hi-C takes me right back there! I think Energy by Brambleberry is very close!

90’s - Denim... does anyone make a denim fragrance oil? :lol:

2000’s - All I can think about is Backstreet Boys Millennium... Aroma Therapy by Nurture. It smells like a modern, Stark, office building with a brand new computer.
Ah Now if we want to go farther back to 60s and 70s. It would have to be patchouli!

This is probably going to be different for everybody, but it will be fun to see everyone's posts:

80's.....my coming of age years....'designer' perfumes like Georgio and Stetson and Lauren and Obsession were a big deal and really 'in', but I chose to wear more of a vintage perfume from the '40's which was having a bit of a resurgence at that time (as was vintage clothing)...White Shoulders....and I also loved to wear Hawaiian White Ginger by Avon- those were my go-scents back then. When I smell them to this day, they transport me right back to the 80's.....and so does Georgio, because my MIL used to douse herself in Georgio back in the '80's. lol

90's was the decade I discovered Poison by Dior and fell in love with it....and still White Shoulders, too (it smells like a mix of orange blossoms and honeysuckle to me my nose, both of which I just really love). I can totally see why you think of denim, though. The 70's also reminds me of denim, too....it was so prolific that at one point in the 70's I even covered my schoolbooks in denim one year instead of the usual brown paper bag covering. lol

2000's was the decade of vanilla for me.....Warm Vanilla Sugar, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Vaniglia del Madagascar, Vanilla Flower....vanilla, vanilla, vanilla! For whatever reason I just couldn't get enough of vanilla fragrances! Sometimes I would even dab on some of my vanilla extract. lol

IrishLass :)

I feel like I was constantly running into OPIUM bubbles in the 90s (you know, when someone wears so much, you feel like they carry a bubble around them - like PigPen's dust cloud, but OPIUM!)

and YES @IrishLass POISON bubbles too! and something wretched by Issae Miyaki that would make me feel like throwing up

I feel like the 90s were BIG fragrances!

2000's was the decade of vanilla for me.....Warm Vanilla Sugar, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Vaniglia del Madagascar, Vanilla Flower....vanilla, vanilla, vanilla! For whatever reason I just couldn't get enough of vanilla fragrances! Sometimes I would even dab on some of my vanilla extract. lol

OMG I forgot about the vanilla. Vanilla EVERYWHERE.

For me, nothing takes me back to the 80's quicker than the scent of Aqua Net - (not something you would want in a soap) but that smell, holds very powerful memories. As for perfumes, and the like, I would have to say 80's would be Soft Musk from Avon, 90's would have to be Cucumber Melon from B&BW, and the 2000's and beyond I don't think I ever really paid attention but I did always love the scent of Ciara cologne. I LOVED IT.

Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific and that may even go back to the 70's.

Oh yes! We used to use that all the time in the mid to late 70's! Vermont Country Store still sells it and I've been tempted to buy some for nostalgia sake, but I haven't done so yet.

60's English Leather

Old Spice is timeless. My Dad wore it for years. I used to buy it for him and still love it.

Cherry tobacco, anything that smells like cherry pipe tobacco, is a scent that takes me right back to my youth, at least 50-60 years. But I don't know what FO's actually smell like cherry pipe tobacco.

As far as the 60 & 70's, I'd have to agree with SYT, it's patchouli hands down.

Channel #5 - now is there an actual FO that smells like that? That was my Mom's fragrance and she wore it for decades, so it's hard to assign in to any decade. I still have some of her Channel #5. It still smells absolutely wonderful.

Channel #5 - now is there an actual FO that smells like that? That was my Mom's fragrance and she wore it for decades, so it's hard to assign in to any decade. I still have some of her Channel #5. It still smells absolutely wonderful.

Class & Sass from Nature’s Garden

I would have fallen for any guy in the 80s wearing Drakkar Noir.

Cherry scented tobacco! Holy cow @earlene ! That’s what my dad smoked in his pipe my whole childhood. Borkum Riff. Might make me freak out smelling that now.

Last edited:
60's English Leather

Cherry tobacco, anything that smells like cherry pipe tobacco, is a scent that takes me right back to my youth, at least 50-60 years. But I don't know what FO's actually smell like cherry pipe tobacco.

My Uncle smoked cherry pipe tobacco. SweetCakes sells a great cherry tobacco FO called Santa's Pipe that I love. WSP sells a 'Santa's Pipe' cherry tobacco FO, too, but since I haven't ever used theirs I cannot vouch for it. SweetCake's version I can vouch for and it is awesome. It does discolor to medium tan, but BCN's vanilla stabilizer keeps it white for up to 2 years.

Oooohhhh....

in the 80's I was a kid, and I remember my mom and all her friends either smelling like estee lauder perfumes or baby oil (backyard sunbathing).

90's were teenage years - cucumber melon anything or Coty Musk. Drakkar for the guys.

00's were adult/college years - beer. Just kidding... anything by Bath & Body Works though, I was a huge collector. (hoarder, I was a hoarder.) My favorites were the stronger musky scents, Dark Kiss, Amber (something or another).

I texted one of my younger sisters out of curiosity to see what she would say, she was about the same but her answers were shifted to the next decade. and she thought the 80's were more fruit flavored, blue raspberry sniffie marker scents. (She was born in '83). So with that in mind, you might want to consider the age of the person you are targeting for that decade. If they were younger, or older, will change the "bring back" memories for them.

I texted one of my younger sisters out of curiosity to see what she would say, she was about the same but her answers were shifted to the next decade. and she thought the 80's were more fruit flavored, blue raspberry sniffie marker scents. (She was born in '83). So with that in mind, you might want to consider the age of the person you are targeting for that decade. If they were younger, or older, will change the "bring back" memories for them.

I remember my sister being obsessed with the smelly markers! I’m doing a video game console theme for a local game shop, so a bit of a different take than everyone (including me!) so far. Although the Hi-C might be appropriate :D

Latest posts

Back