What flowers can I use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepsiandjac

Reaction score
Hiya, I haven’t made soap for a while due to Ill health ,and the fact I’ve got enough soap to last me 20 years lol,but as winter is approaching ,instead of leaving all the flowers in my garden going to waste and dying I thought I would dry any that can be used in cp soap.
Does anyone know what flowers I can use, or if there’s a list of plants and flowers anywhere.
Thanks Julie

You can really pretty much infuse oils with any dried flowers, if you like, although what you get out of the oil infusion other than a hint of 'label appeal' is a toss-up. Not many attributes survive lye without some alteration. Color doesn't even survive lye well, except for a couple of rare cases. BUT, that doesn't stop me from infusing oils with rose petals, because either the power of suggestion (my own mind) or imagination or I'm simply stubborn, it feels like the soap made with rose-petal infused oils is pretty nice. Really, I do believe it's all in my mind, but I do it anyway.

What flowers do you have? :)

There's several hits if you Google "flowers in soap" but the popular ones for both infusions and decorating seem to be lavender, calendula, chamomile and rose.

You can use any dried flowers to decorate your tops if that's your thing (not mine though lol).

Or make potpourri. Or wax sachets.

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/

Try this gal’s site: The Nerdy Farmewife.”
Thank you, I will have a look now.

You can really pretty much infuse oils with any dried flowers, if you like, although what you get out of the oil infusion other than a hint of 'label appeal' is a toss-up. Not many attributes survive lye without some alteration. Color doesn't even survive lye well, except for a couple of rare cases. BUT, that doesn't stop me from infusing oils with rose petals, because either the power of suggestion (my own mind) or imagination or I'm simply stubborn, it feels like the soap made with rose-petal infused oils is pretty nice. Really, I do believe it's all in my mind, but I do it anyway.
I love roses too, so I will definitely be making some rose soap.
How long do you infuse the oil for ?

What flowers do you have? :)

There's several hits if you Google "flowers in soap" but the popular ones for both infusions and decorating seem to be lavender, calendula, chamomile and rose.

You can use any dried flowers to decorate your tops if that's your thing (not mine though lol).

Or make potpourri. Or wax sachets.
I’ve got loads of calendula, and a bit of lavender left.
I’ve got a massive hibiscus plant, geraniums, coreopsis, godetias, petunias, pansies, begonias,roses, nasturtiums, and a few I can’t remember what they are lol.
I’ve also got loads of,hollyhocks,evening primroses,Californian poppies and Livingstons daisies which haven’t flowered yet for some reason.
I usually freeze most of the flowers to feed my tortoises through the winter,but I’ve still got loads in freezer from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
First I dry the rose petals completely (no moisture as that will cause mold growth in the oil).

Then I cover the dried rose petals with oil (your choice which oil you use, I like Almond oil, but have used other oils, too).

For heat infusion, 1-4 hours. For just sitting on the shelf and not using heat, about a month.

Thank you, I will have a look now.

I love roses too, so I will definitely be making some rose soap.
How long do you infuse the oil for ?

I’ve got a massive hibiscus plant, geraniums, coreopsis, godetias, petunias, pansies, begonias,roses, nasturtiums, and a few I can’t remember what they are lol.
I’ve also got loads of,hollyhocks,evening primroses,Californian poppies and Livingstons daisies which haven’t flowered yet for some reason.
I usually freeze most of the flowers to feed my tortoises through the winter,but I’ve still got loads in freezer from last year.

Wow. Your garden sounds beautiful! Would love to see photos. :)

Oooh must be a pretty garden!

Your calendula and lavender is a sure thing. I always have a big bottle of each infusing although they're not very cost effective for me now that I don't have a garden.

If it were me I'd search on those others one by one lol. For example I had some apple flower tea leftover and infused them with leftover pomegranate flowers (also tea lol) because I read they were good. Could be minimal but why waste lol

I know pulped fresh hibiscus has long been used as shampoo here locally. It for sure makes bubbles. As a kid we dipped straws in the goo and blew bubbles hehehe. I've seen it powdered in soap too but haven't tried. I'm sure an infusion should also work. somewhat.

The geraniums should be good too... If they make an essential oil with em, an infusion should be nice, even if not as potent. Maybe it's the same for evening primrose too. Couldn't hurt.

At the very very least the infusions will look so pretty as displays lol

CB67D4CA-0377-41FD-A319-2D96E719BB88.jpeg 5F2B4653-05D5-4005-BC4D-F8C96C4BDFA8.jpeg C4BC0243-D9B2-487C-AE44-3379AD8CC2A9.jpeg 7C8DAE07-6D6E-4ADA-971B-B5AB95AE07C7.jpeg 54BED06C-B679-4417-B95C-E2FD109A0400.jpeg 450C194C-C42D-4E7F-9899-35D1A5C10F86.jpeg
Wow. Your garden sounds beautiful! Would love to see photos. :)
It starts off nice then tends to get a bit crowded lol,I have 12 tortoises! And most of it is grown for them,so I probably plant too much,

View attachment 41534 View attachment 41533 View attachment 41532 View attachment 41531 View attachment 41530 View attachment 41529
It starts off nice then tends to get a bit crowded lol,I have 12 tortoises! And most of it is grown for them,so I probably plant too much,

Omg 12 tortoises... . I had one turtle named Cedric the Entertainer... he only had a tank but lots of love. I’m sure your tortoises are very happy with their clean lush and colorful home :) your garden is very pretty! Good luck with using your flowers in soap!

Back