What EO to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reporting in at the EO counter here!
I love 50/50 bergamot/cedarwood.
Also 50/30/20 bergamot, fir needle, cedarwood.
Also 1/2/2 black pepper, tea tree, cinnamon bark.
Also equal parts bergamot, eucalyptus, fir needle, rosemary, peppermint (in my top 2 favorites!).
Also 2/16, 3/16, 5/16, 5/16 rosemary, tea tree, bergamot, litsea cubeba.

Backing @Zing up on the 50/50 bergamot cedar. Probably my most favorite combination, and I found it on accident. Its nice to catch some zzzzzs with.

Black pepper is a neat smell. I haven't used it in a few years, but it does smell good, and not like you would think it should smell like. I'm actually going to make this my next purchase.

Wish they had Tonka Bean oil. The smell is intoxicating. I used to have a few tonka beans before they made them illegal.

Benzoin is a nice smell too. I am not really sure if it can be used in soap though. I'm sure somebody here could validate that. It's not really an essential oil although it is often sold alongside eos. Its a resin, but then so is frankincense. But benzoin is thick and sticky.

Guess. none of that was particularly helpful LOL. Just went down the rabbit hole...

Anyway, my guy-friend has asked for a few soaps and he always wants something made with essential oils and he asks for pine and orange.

I have recently made 2 soaps with benzoin and LOVE it!

With all respect to @Catscankim's friend, I caution about pine essential oil -- and this is only my personal preference. In theory it sounds like a good idea but it ends up smelling like Pinesol cleaner. I MUCH prefer fir needle essential oil.

I have recently made 2 soaps with benzoin and LOVE it!

With all respect to @Catscankim's friend, I caution about pine essential oil -- and this is only my personal preference. In theory it sounds like a good idea but it ends up smelling like Pinesol cleaner. I MUCH prefer fir needle essential oil.
Plus-one on the fir needle EO over pine EO. @Catscankim Your friend will think it is pine bc it smells more like what people are expecting when they ask for pine - I.e., a forest, not a freshly cleaned toilet.

I concur about fir! Fir smells like what you'd expect from pine (I once thought I had pine EO and it turned out to be fir).
I think I remember finding Highbrow by eocalc a very woodsy scent, like a woodshop. I once subbed fir for the cedar, which made it smell more "fresh" and less woodsy. It does accelerate the batter because of the clove eo!

Here is a blend that I love for men.

1 part frankincense EO
1 part myrrh EO
1 part patchouli EO
3 parts sandalwood FO

This sounds good. I was looking at Patchouli and Sandalwood. The frankincense and myrrh would be a good addition. Thank you

I concur about fir! Fir smells like what you'd expect from pine (I once thought I had pine EO and it turned out to be fir).
I think I remember finding Highbrow by eocalc a very woodsy scent, like a woodshop. I once subbed fir for the cedar, which made it smell more "fresh" and less woodsy. It does accelerate the batter because of the clove eo!
THANK YOU for this post! I thought I had viewed everything on eocalc but missed this one and it sounds awesome!

Reporting in at the EO counter here!
I love 50/50 bergamot/cedarwood.
Also 50/30/20 bergamot, fir needle, cedarwood.
Also 1/2/2 black pepper, tea tree, cinnamon bark.
Also equal parts bergamot, eucalyptus, fir needle, rosemary, peppermint (in my top 2 favorites!).
Also 2/16, 3/16, 5/16, 5/16 rosemary, tea tree, bergamot, litsea cubeba.

The other scent I was considering was the bergamot/cedar.

Where do you source your EO's?

Latest posts

Back