What effect does humidity have on curing soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saratk

Reaction score
I made several batches of soap in May just in time for hot & humid June, July & Aug to come along while curing and cause all of my soaps to sweat. All of my soaps cure (& are stored) in an office in my home that is not air conditioned. In Aug, when I went to try the soaps I had made in May, I hated every single one, even those using recipes I've loved before. Despite having a 6% superfat for the regular bars and a 20% superfat for the all-coconut oil bar - all of them left behind that squeaky clean feeling where it feels like the skin has been completely stripped of moisture. Again, I've made all these recipes before and none of them had that effect previously. Could being cured in a room that's hot and humid create some sort of negative effect? Does sweating drain moisture from a bar?
Any input would be appreciated!

When I make soap in the summer and it is hot (we don‘t have air conditioning where I live), it seems to get humid and slow down cure time. I found two answers. One is a dehumidified and the second is a fan to circulate air. I found they cure a bit faster, and last longer than soaps without the dehumidifier and fan.

I find the timing of this post so ironic. This morning, i drew some hot water in the garden tub, planning on giving my self a foot soak and pedicure after showering (tub and shower are separate). On the ledge of my tub is a dish and bowl of random soaps. Some of which are recently made. After my shower, I noticed that the newer soaps (CP) were all sweaty!!! Our house is air conditioned but the humidity from the hot water in the tub definitely had an effect on the soaps.
I love the idea about the dehumidifier. My husband bought me a huge one several years ago. I've only used it for food but I love the idea of sticking my soaps in there to hasten the drying/curing time!!!

I find the timing of this post so ironic. This morning, i drew some hot water in the garden tub, planning on giving my self a foot soak and pedicure after showering (tub and shower are separate). On the ledge of my tub is a dish and bowl of random soaps. Some of which are recently made. After my shower, I noticed that the newer soaps (CP) were all sweaty!!! Our house is air conditioned but the humidity from the hot water in the tub definitely had an effect on the soaps.
I love the idea about the dehumidifier. My husband bought me a huge one several years ago. I've only used it for food but I love the idea of sticking my soaps in there to hasten the drying/curing time!!!

You are thinking dehydrator. They are talking dehumidifier which removes the humidity from the air. [emoji3]

A dehydrators dry foods and I wouldn’t put my soap in one. People have tried and it causes the soap to either melt or warp. There is nothing to hasten curing other than time.

The soap making process naturally creates glycerin, which is a humectant, meaning that it will draw moisture out of the air. It makes sense that in high humidity your soap will be sweaty. I imagine that this will affect the cure. As for the change in the feel of your soap, I suspect that is more of a change in your skin due to the environment (humid weather) than a change to the soap itself. There are a few soapers here who have a summer recipe and a winter recipe.

You are thinking dehydrator. They are talking dehumidifier which removes the humidity from the air. [emoji3]

A dehydrators dry foods and I wouldn’t put my soap in one. People have tried and it causes the soap to either melt or warp. There is nothing to hasten curing other than time.

I have always accused my self as being a "skimmer" when reading. This just validates it!!! LOL!!!

The dehumidifier doesn’t cure soap faster than the 4-6 weeks, but rather when there is humidity, it lets it cure in 4-6 weeks and not 8-10. Sorry for the confusion.

Back