What do your soap dishes look like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martha

Reaction score
I’m not talking about dirty soaping dishes here.

Since I started making soap, I decided I needed nicer soap dishes to hold the pretty soaps. I saw that @KiwiMoose just made a beautiful one. Just wondering if others have felt the need to step up their soap dish game. Do you have a favorite style of dish?

Oh ugh. Newbie posting problems. Sorry about the multiple posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic jobbies from Target or the Dollar Store. o_O

I'm not saying that's my favorite style, but it's What My Soap Dishes Look Like. :D

Last edited:
I’m not talking about dirty soaping dishes here.

Since I started making soap, I decided I needed nicer soap dishes to hold the pretty soaps. I saw that @KiwiMoose just made a beautiful one. Just wondering if others have felt the need to step up their soap dish game. Do you have a favorite style of dish?
Thank you Martha. We have one of those ceramic painting places not far from us. You can go in and choose your 'greenware' which is all ready for painting. Once painted, you leave it here for them to glaze and fire, and collect in a week or two. They had nothing on the shelves so I specifically asked if they had any soap dishes with ridges in them - explaining that I wanted them for my homemade soap. luckily she said she had one left out the back so I painted that one up and they said if i wanted more they would happily throw some more in some molds for me and fire them up. They are not cheap though - $26 NZ dollars ( about $US16). They provide all the paints and everything, and the firing etc, so I can see how the cost comes in. But when you can go to the store and buy a nice ceramic one for $NZ 7 odd, it makes the price look pretty steep.

Plastic jobbies from Target or the Dollar Store. o_O

I'm not saying that's my favorite style, but it's What My Soap Dishes Look Like. :D

That’s basically what I had in the kitchen. I was using liquid soap in the bathroom, so I didn’t even have a soap dish. I splurged a bit and got a nice chrome one that has openings on the bottom for drainage.

Thank you Martha. We have one of those ceramic painting places not far from us. You can go in and choose your 'greenware' which is all ready for painting. Once painted, you leave it here for them to glaze and fire, and collect in a week or two. They had nothing on the shelves so I specifically asked if they had any soap dishes with ridges in them - explaining that I wanted them for my homemade soap. luckily she said she had one left out the back so I painted that one up and they said if i wanted more they would happily throw some more in some molds for me and fire them up. They are not cheap though - $26 NZ dollars ( about $US16). They provide all the paints and everything, and the firing etc, so I can see how the cost comes in. But when you can go to the store and buy a nice ceramic one for $NZ 7 odd, it makes the price look pretty steep.

We have a painted pot studio right on my block. I don’t think mine would come out as beautifully as yours though! Probably look. More like an elementary school project.

I like the clear plastic nubby ones from Dollar Tree. I can use just about anything as a soap dish with one of those on top. I have a Depression Glass saucer at the kitchen sink and a large seashell in the bathroom.
IMG_20190206_070906.jpeg

I like to use pretty saucers, crystal dishes, etc. I might start putting one of those Dollar Tree thingees in the bottom! Though I think a slice of loofah might work well also.

A soapy friend had a nice one made from cedar wood, doesn't rot or warp. It's a 1x4" piece of lumber, about 5" long, all the top edges and corners are rounded off. Has five vertical cuts 1/2 way thru the wood on top and 3 horizontal cuts 1/2 way thru the wood on the bottom, the cuts making an intersection with each other, which drains and gives airflow. Very nice, handmade, she got it at a craft fair "up north" and doesn't know the guys name/shop! I *want* one!

A soapy friend had a nice one made from cedar wood, doesn't rot or warp. It's a 1x4" piece of lumber, about 5" long, all the top edges and corners are rounded off. Has five vertical cuts 1/2 way thru the wood on top and 3 horizontal cuts 1/2 way thru the wood on the bottom, the cuts making an intersection with each other, which drains and gives airflow. Very nice, handmade, she got it at a craft fair "up north" and doesn't know the guys name/shop! I *want* one!
I have one of those too (you can get them on Etsy). They look really nice, but they do seem to discolor my not-completely-cured-yet soap as if the wood reacted with it somehow. I'll see if that problem persists with the fully cured soap.

I've taken to doing the same thing as Artemis (the clear plastic nubby ones placed on a nice dish). Before I took to doing that, I was making my own dishes out of a length of decorative wood trim from Lowe's that I'd saw into 4" lengths, sand down smooth, and then seal with waterproof deck sealer. This is what they look like:
IMG_5237SmallCroppedDish640.jpg

Although the wood ones work perfectly fine in keeping my soap high and dry, my soap tends to stick like glue to the slats when in between uses, which isn't so bad when the soap is newer and thick (they un-stick quite easily), but once the soap is used beyond a certain thinness, it gets harder and harder to unstick my soap and have it still remain in one piece. That doesn't happen with the plastic nubby ones. With those I can use my soap down to mere tiny slivers without it ever breaking. I'm weird- I like seeing how small of a sliver my soap can be reduced to in one piece and still get a good hand-washing out of it. lol

IrishLass :)

Although the wood ones work perfectly fine in keeping my soap high and dry, my soap tends to stick like glue to the slats when in between uses, which isn't so bad when the soap is newer and thick (they un-stick quite easily), but once the soap is used beyond a certain thinness, it gets harder and harder to unstick my soap and have it still remain in one piece.

I was looking at the wooden ones. I like the minimal design. I think many of them are Japanese. Good to know about the sticking though. That really stinks. Here's a photo of the chrome one I got for my bathroom. I think the slats are small enough that the soap isn't sticking too much. I guess I will find out when this bar gets even thinner.

IMG_3626.JPG

I ordered one for the kitchen, but when it arrived it had this ugly logo on the front of it. Crooked I might add. So I complained and they refunded me. Now I can try to see if I can scrape, blowtorch or whatever it takes to remove it.
IMG_3625.jpg

I use these that i ended up having to buy hundreds of to be able to get a good price. I sold some here in the classifieds at Christmas and on facebook and kept a few hundred for myself. I was always wanting something or my round soaps as they are always a pain to wrap, so most of my soap comes with a dish. Especially at special holidays. They are stone and are a very nice quality.

Attachments

• Square soap dish 4.jpg
    Square soap dish 4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Round soap dish.jpg
    Round soap dish.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Round soap dish w soap.JPG
    Round soap dish w soap.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 10
Oh hell! Does that mean I have to start making my own Handcrafted soap dishes??!!

I use these that i ended up having to buy hundreds of to be able to get a good price. I sold some here in the classifieds at Christmas and on facebook and kept a few hundred for myself. I was always wanting something or my round soaps as they are always a pain to wrap, so most of my soap comes with a dish. Especially at special holidays. They are stone and are a very nice quality.

Those are really pretty. Do you find your soap glopping up at the bottom, or do those rings provide enough lift to keep them out of the water?

I've taken to doing the same thing as Artemis (the clear plastic nubby ones placed on a nice dish). Before I took to doing that, I was making my own dishes out of a length of decorative wood trim from Lowe's that I'd saw into 4" lengths, sand down smooth, and then seal with waterproof deck sealer. This is what they look like:
SO SMART! <looks around at what moulding in the house she could possibly detach...>

Latest posts

Back