What do you use to stir your lye solution? Wood, silcone...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes! I never knew about the glass/Pyrex issue. I have a 4 qt, THICK pyrex beaker that I've been using for about a year now, but I guess I should consider using something else. Thank you for the warning, carebear!

I use stainless steel bowls that I bought just for soaping..but following the soap books I read I bought a wooden spoon. And it is looking rough on the edges so I can see what people are saying about splinters. Time to go buy either a stainless spoon or safe spatuala.

I use a SS slotted spoon and a glass measuring cup *one of the 6 cup kind*

I use a stainless steel spoon and a large glass measuring cup. I've been using that glass cup for four years now and it's looking strong with no cracks etc. If I switch, it will be to a stainless steel pitcher. I absolutely hate plastic and avoid it wherever I can.

I have a 1 gallon Rubbermaid plastic pitcher that I use for large batches and a small plastic Ikea pitcher (like Carebear's?) that I use for smaller batches. The small ones are also good for mixing colors.

All of my soaping utensils are either silicone/plastic spoons or spatulas or stainless steel whisks. I grab whatever is handy, usually a silicone spatula.

Back