What do you use to mix your Lye and Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make full batches of lye solution for my regular recipe and store them in the Gladware containers with the screw top. They are #5 (polypropylene). I also make full batches of my butters and oils and also store in the large Gladware bowls. I place them in a hot water bath if they solidify depending on the time of year. I’m not good at math at all and it makes my head hurt so this has been the best solution for me. I got the idea from Amanda Aaron from Lovin Soap.

I freak out mixing enough lye solution for a 1kg batch of soap! How long does 220L of lye last? Once its mixed how long can you store it for?
I never stored it. that was for a standard batch. Can't remember exactly what the recipe was but we mixed up the lye and the oil in a speparate tank. oroginally, we mixed it all at once in the stainless tank. but that created a mad RUSH to get all 20 types of soap set, colored, scented and cast before the entire batch began to set up.

Later, we mixed oils in the stainless and lye in the nalgeneand measured out the amount of oil & lye for the 20 pound cast and made it with the drills. we usually had two drill set ups running at all times. even so, the process took about 5 hours but each batch was done individually and well.

I freak out mixing enough lye solution for a 1kg batch of soap! How long does 220L of lye last? Once its mixed how long can you store it for?
generally? about 6 hours before I made it into soap. I made soap and oil a batch at a time. I made 400 pounds of soap, broken into 20 20 pound molds each 20 pound mold was it's own variety or fragrance

I'd rephrase that -- Avoiding glass with strong alkalis (NaOH, in other words) is NOT a preference. It's an established, proven safety precaution that chemistry labs train their workers to respect and follow. Soap makers should too.

Problem is, many soapers who use glass for their lye solutions and soap batter have not gotten into trouble with this practice, sometimes for many years. Because of this, they don't accept the facts about why it's not a smart idea. They can't see the microscopic etching that weakens the glass, nor have they had a fumble footed moment and dropped a glass container to shatter on the floor. But just because they've been fortunate enough to not have problems is not sufficient justification to ignore the safety recommendation.

It's like safety belts in cars -- until you need your safety belt, there's no point to wearing it. A lot of people ride in cars for years without safety belts and don't suffer any consequences, so they don't see any reason to change their ways. Unfortunately, when they need the protection of that safety belt, it's far too late to buckle up and the consequences are severe.

Ditto the above for goggles. I don't think they are a preference item, either. Eyesight is precious, and you never know when that one time will be. If you've been lucky, great! I wouldn't keep pushing your luck, though. I know I'm a new soaper, yeah yeah, but you will find me in goggles during any activity where they are recommended/advised, including soaping.

Ditto the above for goggles. I don't think they are a preference item, either. Eyesight is precious, and you never know when that one time will be. If you've been lucky, great! I wouldn't keep pushing your luck, though. I know I'm a new soaper, yeah yeah, but you will find me in goggles during any activity where they are recommended/advised, including soaping.
class is a dangerous thinjg in chemistry. the RIGHT glass has its place when used the RIGHT way. but you must do your research.

I used plastic whenever possible. as mentioned food safe and non-reactive plastics.

as for your goggles. ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS, the splash only has to go the wrong way ONCE

Latest posts

Back