What do you use to mix your Lye and Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the rubbermaid pitchers-nice and thick, and I get the oversized ones so I have plenty of room (saved my bacon when I made mountain dew soap and what a lye volcano!). Much cheaper than a doctor bill!

While that's true, I've been using Pyrex & borosilicate since 2003 and that still hasn't happened!
Maybe you have the pyrex that hasn't been reformulated. The newer pyrex glass is not like the kind you could get "back in the day". You've been lucky. I'm glad.
Personally, I would rather be safe than lucky, but as you said, to each their own.

My point about objecting to "Just use your imagination" is that those of us who have a zero fact base will not be able to imagine anything. The phrase itself is a substitute for giving facts in a neutral fashion.
Oh, I understand that, which is why I was trying to paint you a picture with words, so you could imagine it, that's all.
DianaMoon, you have been asking excellent questions, and we can tell you are learning from the answers, and are excited in your new venture, and we are excited with you.

Maybe you have the pyrex that hasn't been reformulated. The newer pyrex glass is not like the kind you could get "back in the day". You've been lucky. I'm glad.
Personally, I would rather be safe than lucky, but as you said, to each their own.

Oh, I understand that, which is why I was trying to paint you a picture with words, so you could imagine it, that's all.
DianaMoon, you have been asking excellent questions, and we can tell you are learning from the answers, and are excited in your new venture, and we are excited with you.

Thank you JCandle, I'm amazed at how much I've grown intellectually as a result of deciding to make soap, on a whim (sort of). I was very daunted by Soap Calc at first, but I forced myself.

Irish,, Shari and DeeAnna: Excellent information. Good to know. Thank you all and esp. Irish for the detailed accounts of horrific accidents. And this certainly is a good thread to store it all together in one place.

Sorry if I offended you, but, whether you are aware of it or not, there are times, like this, when you do come across as intimidating rather than helpful, JMHO and IME. And in my case, disrespectful, derisive, mocking, hurtful, etc. almost to the point of "bullying the new kid" during my short time on this forum, as not one, but a chorus of members would pile on, one after another, at the mere mention of my using Pyrex. Not kind.

Thought: Perhaps that's why we have so many Newbies parroting your position rather than experienced soapers willing to support mine. Experienced soapers treated that way seem to vanish, as I was ready to do also, until a very sweet member graciously PM'ed me and encouraged me to hang around.

There is no right or wrong on this subject; just a matter of opinion based on fact and/or experience in both camps. The other camp is what I'm presenting here. What's important, to my mind at least, is that we respect each other's preference and everyone's right to choose.

Just to be clear, as far as I know, I've just shared my preference as "this is what I use" and "why I prefer Pyrex" rather than "you shoulld do as I do because I know what's best for you." As Diane alluded to, Plastic is made of chemicals and oils, and perhaps it will react with the lye and give off toxic fumes that are harmful. Glass OTOH is "non-reactive. Use glass." She should be commended for making that correct and thoughtful observation. Plastic #2 and #5 does degrade over time, shouldn't be used if temperatures climb over 150°F, in my experience, or it can crumple and ruin your container or leach into and ruin your lye solution. Also, you can't see through opaque plastic to determine if you've stirred enough so the solution is clear or if there are any degraded particles floating around in there.

I've never suggested to anyone that they do as I do but rather I've tried to share that it is an option left to their own discretion. I understand and sympathize with all who have had a bad experience. It proves the point that soapers need to take care. I hope we can all agree that the emphasis should be on taking great care with lye -- the importance of wearing protection and being alert and mindful while handling it -- including not setting a hot container on a cold surface; adding lye to the water -- not the other way around; be prepared to act quickly if some splashes on you; no kids, pets, and other distractions while soaping; and so on.

Stepping off my soapbox now. :D Sorry to take so long. This just seemed to be the right time and right thread to say what needed to be said from the Minority of One on SMF. Thank goodness I'm not the only one in the soaping world outside of SMF. Deo Gratias.

Namaste

Last edited:
Irish,, Shari and DeeAnna: Excellent information. Good to know. Thank you all and esp. Irish for the detailed accounts of horrific accidents. And this certainly is a good thread to store it all together in one place.

Sorry if I offended you, but, whether you are aware of it or not, you do come across as intimidating rather than helpful, JMHO and IME. And in my case, disrespectful, derisive, mocking, hurtful, etc. almost to the point of "bullying the new kid" during my short time on this forum, as not one, but a bevy of members would pile on, one after another, at the mere mention of my using Pyrex. Not kind.

Thought: Perhaps that's why we have so many Newbies parroting your position rather than experienced soapers willing to support mine. Experienced soapers treated that way seem to vanish, as I was ready to do also, until a very sweet member graciously PM'ed me and encouraged me to hang around.

There is no right or wrong on this subject; just a matter of opinion based on fact and/or experience in both camps. The other camp is what I'm presenting here. What's important, to my mind at least, is that we respect each other's preference and everyone's right to choose.

Just to be clear, as far as I know, I've just shared my preference as "this is what I use" and "why I prefer Pyrex" rather than "you shoulld do as I do because I know what's best for you." As Diane alluded to, Plastic is made of chemicals and oils, and perhaps it will react with the lye and give off toxic fumes that are harmful. Glass OTOH is "non-reactive. Use glass." She should be commended for making that correct and thoughtful observation. Plastic #2 and #5 does degrade over time, shouldn't be used if temperatures climb over 150°F, in my experience, or it can crumple and ruin your container or leach into and ruin your lye solution. Also, you can't see through opaque plastic to determine if you've stirred enough so the solution is clear or if there are any degraded particles floating around in there.

I've never suggested to anyone that they do as I do but rather I've tried to share that it is an option left to their own discretion. I understand and sympathize with all who have had a bad experience. It proves the point that soapers need to take care. I hope we can all agree that the emphasis should be on taking great care with lye -- the importance of wearing protection and being alert and mindful while handling it -- including not setting a hot container on a cold surface; adding lye to the water -- not the other way around; be prepared to act quickly if some splashes on you; no kids, pets, and other distractions while soaping; and so on.

Stepping off my soapbox now. :D Sorry to take so long. This just seemed to be the right time and right thread to say what needed to be said from the Minority of One on SMF. Thank goodness I'm not the only one in the soaping world outside of SMF. Deo Gratias.

Namaste

We should all feel free to ask away and to express how we do things. The only rule is: give a good reason why you do it the way you do.

Sorry if I offended you, but, whether you are aware of it or not, there are times, like this, when you do come across as intimidating rather than helpful, JMHO and IME. And in my case, disrespectful, derisive, mocking, hurtful, etc. almost to the point of "bullying the new kid" during my short time on this forum, as not one, but a chorus of members would pile on, one after another, at the mere mention of my using Pyrex. Not kind.
Zany, I don't know if you have had the chance yet to read the SMF Culture & Tone sticky in the Announcement and Rules section, but that will go a mile in helping to explain why certain subjects elicit certain responses on SMF (see especially item #4 in the sticky. It has always been the position of our forum to discourage the use of Pyrex in soapmaking for safety reasons). I'm sorry you have felt bullied, but I can assure you that it has been no ones intention to bully or be unkind. The link I provided will (hopefully) help to explain that.

IrishLass :)

Its been a while, and aching to make some soap, I've gotten myself a couple of thick rubbermaid pitchers, and won't be able to make soap until later this week. I've been reading the posts since my last post.

OMG I had no idea of some of the horrific accidents, and want to say, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your posts!

Namaste
Just wanted to let you know I've felt the same. It's why I rarely come here unless I want to add to the "What soapy thing have you done today?" Thread. I never ask for help because the last time I did I was censured and belittled. Pity.

Ughh! I wish I had read these posts before buying containers! I am a new soaper. After watching many, many videos and reading illustrated soap making books, I purchased glass and plastic containers from a reputable provider of soap making supplies. It never occurred to me that they might not be the safest containers to use, specifically the glass.

I am happy to have learned so much this morning and will be looking to replace my pyrex and large glass mixing container!

Look to chemical supply places. I had a Nalgene tank that held 200 gallons for my lye tank. but, of course, smaller containers for smaller amounts. look for Nalgene. when you are dealing with something as extreme as lye, you have to check the kind of plastic. stainless steel is always good but when using plastic you have to know what kind of plastic.

Look to chemical supply places. I had a Nalgene tank that held 200 gallons for my lye tank. but, of course, smaller containers for smaller amounts. look for Nalgene. when you are dealing with something as extreme as lye, you have to check the kind of plastic. stainless steel is always good but when using plastic you have to know what kind of plastic.
I freak out mixing enough lye solution for a 1kg batch of soap! How long does 220L of lye last? Once its mixed how long can you store it for?

I store my masterbatched lye in a laundry soap container that has been washed out really well. I mix 4 lbs lye with 4 lbs water at a time. Label bottle as ☠️.
That's a good suggestion. Does this mean you always use the same recipe? by that I mean you KNOW whatever you are making is uses x volume of 50% solution? Apologies if that's a really dumb question. I thought the ration of lye to water changes (or could) from recipe to recipe? Sigh. I have so much to learn.

@Jan Kates -- Yes, you're right that the amount of water can vary in proportion to the alkali (lye) from recipe to recipe. But think about it -- You add varying amounts of water when you make different recipes starting with solid NaOH, right? It's essentially the same idea when you use a 50% NaOH solution. The only difference is you add less water with the 50% solution than you do with the dry NaOH.

@Jan Kates -- Yes, you're right that the amount of water can vary in proportion to the alkali (lye) from recipe to recipe. But think about it -- You add varying amounts of water when you make different recipes starting with solid NaOH, right? It's essentially the same idea when you use a 50% NaOH solution. The only difference is you add less water with the 50% solution than you do with the dry NaOH.
ah ok. I think it will be a long tiome before I am confident enough to make adjustments to a recipe on the fly like that. Mental maths not being my strong point!

ah ok. I think it will be a long tiome before I am confident enough to make adjustments to a recipe on the fly like that. Mental maths not being my strong point!
You can do it, it is really simple. Let's say your recipe says you need 3 oz lye with 6.5 oz water. If you have a 50% lye solution, you measure out 6 oz, which will have 3 oz lye and 3 oz water in it (3+3=6). So your lye in your recipe is all accounted for, and now you only need to add another 3.5 oz water to have 6.5 oz water as per your recipe.
[[Disclaimer: well, I have never actually done this... but this is how I'd do it. Maybe there are simpler ways.]]

You can do it, it is really simple. Let's say your recipe says you need 3 oz lye with 6.5 oz water. If you have a 50% lye solution, you measure out 6 oz, which will have 3 oz lye and 3 oz water in it (3+3=6). So your lye in your recipe is all accounted for, and now you only need to add another 3.5 oz water to have 6.5 oz water as per your recipe.
[[Disclaimer: well, I have never actually done this... but this is how I'd do it. Maybe there are simpler ways.]]
LOL now I'm rocking in the corner of the room.
Actually I do understand that example.

Ughh! I wish I had read these posts before buying containers! I am a new soaper. After watching many, many videos and reading illustrated soap making books, I purchased glass and plastic containers from a reputable provider of soap making supplies. It never occurred to me that they might not be the safest containers to use, specifically the glass.

I am happy to have learned so much this morning and will be looking to replace my pyrex and large glass mixing container!
Keep reading. There are many who swear by Pyrex. I, too, am new to soaping and am learning that there is often more,than one preferred way to accomplish many things.

Keep reading. There are many who swear by Pyrex. I, too, am new to soaping and am learning that there is often more,than one preferred way to accomplish many things.

I'd rephrase that -- Avoiding glass with strong alkalis (NaOH, in other words) is NOT a preference. It's an established, proven safety precaution that chemistry labs train their workers to respect and follow. Soap makers should too.

Problem is, many soapers who use glass for their lye solutions and soap batter have not gotten into trouble with this practice, sometimes for many years. Because of this, they don't accept the facts about why it's not a smart idea. They can't see the microscopic etching that weakens the glass, nor have they had a fumble footed moment and dropped a glass container to shatter on the floor. But just because they've been fortunate enough to not have problems is not sufficient justification to ignore the safety recommendation.

It's like safety belts in cars -- until you need your safety belt, there's no point to wearing it. A lot of people ride in cars for years without safety belts and don't suffer any consequences, so they don't see any reason to change their ways. Unfortunately, when they need the protection of that safety belt, it's far too late to buckle up and the consequences are severe.

Last edited:
Back