What do you use to make a hanger swirl?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicalMysterySoap

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

So I've been wanting to attempt a hanger swirl with my hp soap and have been watching a lot of videos on how to do it. I notice that everyone uses a wire hanger of some sort. I was wondering if I can use anything else? I don't own any wire hangers (Mommy Dearest traumatized me lol :p), should I just go out and buy one or is there anything else I can use to make the hanger swirl?

Thanks in advance :)

I used a plastic hanger. It was a baby one, and I had to snap it to fit in my mold, which was a terrible idea because the snapped end obviously didn't push all the way down leaving me with half a swirled loaf, and half just striped ;-) it ended up being ok, but I don't recommend being dumb like me!! If I did it again I would just tape something hard on the snapped end to help it keep it's shape, hope that makes sense.

SOMEWHERE I saw someone use a wooden dowel that was partially cut then bent at the cut lines. I can't seem to find it right now. :-( I've never tried that though as I found an old wire hanger in the back of a closet. (thankfully I didn't see Mommy Dearest!) I suppose you could go to any hardware store and buy a length of heavy duty wire. I've also seen a soaping 101 video where she adds plastic straws to the wire to make the swirl wider. I'm sure there are others that have better suggestions than I do! :lol:

I used a plastic hanger. It was a baby one, and I had to snap it to fit in my mold, which was a terrible idea because the snapped end obviously didn't push all the way down leaving me with half a swirled loaf, and half just striped ;-) it ended up being ok, but I don't recommend being dumb like me!! If I did it again I would just tape something hard on the snapped end to help it keep it's shape, hope that makes sense.

Well I have plenty of plastic ones, good to know that I can try with those. Thanks everyone for your help :smile:

I just use wire bent into whatever shape i want. i have thick wire and thin wire depending on what im trying to achieve.

OMG, I have several of those, we use them to tie down stuff on our motorcycles, I am going to have to make more soap to give it a try now!

I bought one of those gear ties a couple weeks ago but haven't used it yet. It is long enough that I may be able to get two different swirls with it in the same pass.

I have used the gear tie and love it! Just make sure to get it straight and even all the way across the bottom.

Latest posts

Back