What do you use to color your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Sorry for all the newbie questions - I swear I've been doing my research although it seems everyone does things a little differently and I'm not quite sure what the "best" way to do a lot of things are...

My latest wonder is.... what do you use to colour your soaps?

I've seen that some people use spices, and there are a lot of different types of coloring out there (powders, etc.) that others use.

Does anyone have a favorite, and why do you like it best? I want to stock up on some colors but have so many choices that I don't know what to go with!

Thanks!

I use micas and then natural powders such as alkenet root, maddar root, nettle leaf etc. I know others use different stuff too....oxides, liquid dyes etc. I think it is whatever works for you,

Color for soaps

I use the liquid dyes. I have not messed with the micas yet - I just got some but have not had a chance to give them a try. I like the liquid - a little goes a long way.

I've used oxides, ultramarines, and micas. I've also tried the liquid and the are the easiest to use (you just put them into the soap, no dissolving before hand and worrying about flecks of color). They all work great, it's just what you prefer.

I have used organic food coloring that I got from the health food stoe. Did not work at all. Next time I will try some of my son's melt n pour dye. I wonder if that will work. It is a liquid.

Back