What do you use for your 'base note'?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaMoon

Reaction score
I realize that what I'm about to say is heresy, but I don't like sandalwood.

Which is a pity because I have most of a bottle of genuine sandalwood oil. It's fantastic for anchoring a scent, which is what a base note is supposed to do. I just don't like it. Maybe I don't like it because it hangs around forever! Which is what a base note is supposed to do!

What do people here use?

Sandalwood is one of my absolute favourite scents. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I'd wear it alone, as a perfume. So heady, so mmmmm..... yeah, I get lost in the scent.

Heresy? no...scent is a personal thing. What works for one doesn't for another.

A base note for what product? I would give anything to have real sandalwood. For soap I work with fo's because they usually stick better than eo's. I would not waste the sandalwood in soap. I just do not find anything that will anchor a fading eo or fo's including clays

It depends on what blend I am going for. If I want an earthy scent, maybe oakmoss absolute. If I want a floral scent, I might choose Ylang Ylang as a base note. Cedarwood is a good base note to use with orange essential oil.

Most of the woods, resins, and spices work as base notes. Frankincense is a favorite with me.

You don't need to have a "classic" base note as the bottom of a blend if you don't want. For example, Rose EO is often listed as a middle note, but it can function okay as a base note to deepen and round out a light floral blend.

Another suggestion is to use way less of the EO than you have been and see what you think. Rose EO is lovely when used with a very light hand -- at maybe 5% or 10% of the total scent blend -- but it can create an "old lady sour, cheap perfume" thing when used at higher concentrations.

A base note for what product? I would give anything to have real sandalwood. For soap I work with fo's because they usually stick better than eo's. I would not waste the sandalwood in soap. I just do not find anything that will anchor a fading eo or fo's including clays

Cold process soap.

It's occurred to me that perhaps what doesn't work on the skin might work in a soap....

I used to love sandalwood, which is why I bought a little bottle of EO. I think it's suspended in jojoba, but it's genuine sandalwood, and extremely persistent.

It depends on what blend I am going for. If I want an earthy scent, maybe oakmoss absolute. If I want a floral scent, I might choose Ylang Ylang as a base note. Cedarwood is a good base note to use with orange essential oil.

I adore ylang ylang & have a bottle on order, but I never thought of it as a base note.

Scent is completely personal - some people totally hate ylang ylang.

It's exactly like taste - I love cinnamon in some foods, and in others - nope!

Any ylang ylang I have tried accelerates severely and fortunately I dislike it immensely. I like patchouli and most of the cedarwoods.

Thanks for this info. If I'm not adding colors, doing swirls, etc., does it matter?

Just an FYI: If you want to duplicate a favorite perfume, there's a website called Base Notes -- you can get the top, middle, and base notes for almost any perfume. Type Diorissimo into the search box to see what comes up. They also have a forum you can peruse. Here's a link:
http://www.basenotes.net/

Just an FYI: If you want to duplicate a favorite perfume, there's a website called Base Notes -- you can get the top, middle, and base notes for almost any perfume. Type Diorissimo into the search box to see what comes up. They also have a forum you can peruse. Here's a link:
http://www.basenotes.net/

Thanks Zany - I know about that site. While it gives the ingredients of a perfume, I doubt I'd be able to duplicate the exact quality of Diorissimo. The perfumer, Roudnitsa, went through thousands of tests to get the smell of LoTV, which can't be the basis of an EO.

My 2nd favorite scent is Nivea cream.

Back