What do you think?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherrydene soapy

Reaction score
:) D1A3BF22-82BB-4D0D-9A23-9337813D861F.jpeg Morning soap makers I have just put my oils into the forum Calculator and I really love how easy it is to use, will definitely be using this from now on ( sorry don’t know how to add a link) can you give me any advice on how I can change, if I need to. I would like a soap that lathers well, cleansing, conditions and is fairly hard. Thank you for your lovely support to someone who is such a newby x

Aha - so what you're saying is you want the perfect recipe? ;)

@DeeAnna has some good notes on soap 'hardness' and how that doesn't necessarily relate to longevity. A very interesting read for those that are interested.

Personally I would still try for a little more hardness in this soap than you have. Have you thought of adding maybe shea butter or cocoa butter at about 10% which would up the stearic a bit? And the rice bran oil (which i use a lot) is just tipping on the brink of perhaps too much linoleic acid, which can cause DOS. I usually use only 15% of RBO.

Just try it and see how you like it - make a 5oog batch so you don't waste too many oils if you don't like it.

I use 15 - 20% soy wax in my soap and it contributes greatly to hardness ( but that's because I don't the animal or palm fat in my recipes). It could be worth considering if you don't have a soy aversion.

Are all the liquid oils necessary? Lard is already high in oleic so it seems to make the liquids redundant. To get a hard bar, I shoot for the highest hardness factor . If u add all the liquid oil to ur recipie, it drops ur hardness factor. Perhaps just keep a lil AvO for luxury.

Id keep it simple with something closer to below.

upload_2019-2-11_6-43-16.jpeg upload_2019-2-11_6-44-28.jpeg

Recommend very sm test batches for all new recipes.

Thank you so much, will sit down and look at these and yes @KiwiMoose I would love the perfect bar :thumbs: (cant see that happening yet) practice makes prefect as the saying goes and I have a lot of practicing to do which excites me. :):):)

Aha - so what you're saying is you want the perfect recipe? ;)

@DeeAnna has some good notes on soap 'hardness' and how that doesn't necessarily relate to longevity. A very interesting read for those that are interested.

Personally I would still try for a little more hardness in this soap than you have. Have you thought of adding maybe shea butter or cocoa butter at about 10% which would up the stearic a bit? And the rice bran oil (which i use a lot) is just tipping on the brink of perhaps too much linoleic acid, which can cause DOS. I usually use only 15% of RBO.

Just try it and see how you like it - make a 5oog batch so you don't waste too many oils if you don't like it.

I use 15 - 20% soy wax in my soap and it contributes greatly to hardness ( but that's because I don't the animal or palm fat in my recipes). It could be worth considering if you don't have a soy aversion.
Thank you for your advice what Shea butter do you buy?Refined organic or unrefined?

Back