What Do You Think - First Batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Well, this week-end I decided to try my hand at soaping. I did the lye solution first. Then I melted my oils & sb. Everything cooled to rt. I poured my lye solution in the oils and sb. It turned quickly like thick tapioca. Into the mold for several hours where the soap got pretty warm. After a couple hours, still warm, I unmolded and cut.
Should I have waited for it to cool down before unmolding and cutting? I was afraid it would stick to the mold and I would have trouble cutting the soap after it cooled. I couldn't wait, so I even used (while warm). It actually has a good lather, but no fragrance, although I added FO. It has alot of slip to it. The soaps look very primitive, but is is my first attempt. I welcome any comments, and thanks in advance for your help.

Well first off, congratulations! :wink: You should always wait until the soap has totally cooled. Waiting 24 hours to 48 hours is the prime time frame for CP soap, most of the time. The exception is salt bars in a log or a slab mold with no dividers. I think you mat have experienced false trace, since it thickened so fast. Did you use a stick blender? If you get false trace, just continue to stir the batter and it will straighten out, most of the time. Your soap may be primitive looking this time, but hey, it is as good as any fancy swirled bar that is perfect. Good job. :wink:

Paul

Thank you Paul- for being so kind! I did use a sb and I sb it for awhile after it thickened. So... you say I should wait for 24-48 hours before unmolding and cutting? Why do you think it thickened up so quickly? Yes, it is soap, but definitely not anywhere near how good your salt bars are! I have a lloonnnggg way to go with this soap thing, but at least I took my first baby step. :)

I'm somewhat alarmed that you did not wait at all for the soap to cure before you used it... especially being your first attempt.

It is very important to take sodium hydroxide seriously, and I'm sure you double (and maybe triple) counted your sap numbers, but you could have been very hurt!

digitalmayhem said:
I'm somewhat alarmed that you did not wait at all for the soap to cure before you used it... especially being your first attempt.

It is very important to take sodium hydroxide seriously, and I'm sure you double (and maybe triple) counted your sap numbers, but you could have been very hurt!

Immediate hand washing is something I do with my end pieces all the time. I first give it the old zap test and then I go ahead and wash my hands only if I don't get zapped. However, fresh soap is still extremely harsh and drying. I made a 100% CO soap and tried it right away and I thought my hands were going to dry up and blow away, one month later, I don't want to shower with anything else!

I did the zap test beforehand. And yes, I no doubt should have waited but my curiosity got the best of me. I have researched long and hard before I made my first batch of soap and, although I'm not justifying it, I'm sure there are many others out there that have done the very same thing. Now my next batch of soap, I can wait for the complete curing process (I hope),
since I satisfied that initial curiosity pang.

gbtreasures said:
I did the zap test beforehand. And yes, I no doubt should have waited but my curiosity got the best of me. I have researched long and hard before I made my first batch of soap and, although I'm not justifying it, I'm sure there are many others out there that have done the very same thing. Now my next batch of soap, I can wait for the complete curing process (I hope),
since I satisfied that initial curiosity pang.

When soap is hot/warm, it's still going thru the main part of the saponification process. I do test scrap pieces, but only after the soap has completely cooled down. Plus, soap is easier to cut, when it's cool.

:D Congrats on your first batch! Soapmaking is very addictive!

the trick is to make sure to space your batches so you always have one that's just about ready. :wink: that way the temptation to try some can be fed and no one gets hurt.

Good suggestion - except I don't have another batch cooling. My wonderful hubby would be more than happy to tie me up until the soap is ready!

Latest posts

Back