What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, so pink!
I think it's very hard to follow these recipes when people only write 'em in percents instead of grams ( ;^ 3^)
You need to decide what size batch you want to make and run it through a soap calculator and get the appropriate amount of lye. We don't supply recipes with measurements as there is too much room for error.

Were you trying to make a salt bar? They are generally much higher in coconut oil with a high superfat. I didn't care for butter in my salt bars, but others like it. Depending on your superfat, your bar could be just fine although I don't know if I would call it a salt bar. Give it a good cure time before you judge it. I've posted this comparison of two salt bar batches at different ages. https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cure-time-doubters-a-visual.62723/
I was making a salt bar of sorts...it was all the salt I had on hand ( other than table salt). I superfatted 15%. It dried super hard and I had to cut it after 3 hours of cure time for fear of cracking. It’s hard as a rock right now but I haven’t tested it. I’ll wait at least a month to try and lather with it. And by 6 months we will see how it does!

So - not a true salt bar I know. But a good first try. Great visual for the lather test! Thanks for sharing!

Dawni, how much fuller's earth did you add? I have some and would like to try it in soap. Thanks!
It varies depending on my mood lol but I've used anywhere between 1-4 teaspoons per 500g. Clay in general is usually written as 1tsp per pound btw but be careful coz it tends to thicken up my batter if I use a lot.

I've made a few so far, hated the first one and don't like the second but don't hate it.

I might try the recipe posted earlier. But I'm just not feeling the salt soap love

A while back, another member advised me to wait a year to try the soap (100% salt, that is, 1:1 salt: oil) and I'd like it better --she was right. Two years is even better.

Wow, so pink!
I think it's very hard to follow these recipes when people only write 'em in percents instead of grams ( ;^ 3^)
In reality, it's easier. I peruse a lot of soap recipes online and when they don't provide percentages, you're obligated to make the size of recipe they made (i.e. 5 lbs of oils or 1 lb of oils). You can't simply halve or double a recipe; you need to run it through a soap calc first, to make sure you don't have too much or too little lye (and that's just for sizing). When it's written with percentages, you can, along with a soap calculator, size the recipe to whatever size YOU want to make. I've found some interesting recipes that I've changed to percentages for my own use.

In reality, it's easier. I peruse a lot of soap recipes online and when they don't provide percentages, you're obligated to make the size of recipe they made (i.e. 5 lbs of oils or 1 lb of oils). You can't simply halve or double a recipe; you need to run it through a soap calc first, to make sure you don't have too much or too little lye (and that's just for sizing). When it's written with percentages, you can, along with a soap calculator, size the recipe to whatever size YOU want to make. I've found some interesting recipes that I've changed to percentages for my own use.
Or do the complicated math to reduce the amount for each oil to get how much you need for a smaller or bigger batch, and still you'll have to run it through a calculator anyway to get your liquid and lye amounts correct lol.

So it's easier when they give percentages for me.

Don't know if you are aware of it but WSP has a percentage calculator that you can enter the amounts and it will convert to percentages for you. I've used it many times for other B&B things so that I can make smaller/larger batches and make other adjustments.
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Percentage_Calculator.aspx

No - it's some random liquid soap dye I purchased from a supplier here. It's red, but I just used a tad. I think I used a little bit of coral as well - just to get an 'accurate' pink grapefruit shade.
I hope you kept notes on how much a “tad” and “a little bit” was so you can repeat it. :) It’s a really lovely colour.

Of course she did! :D:):rolleyes:

I'm sure KiwiMoose uses these scientifically designed measuring spoons --

61flD9-jg4L._SX522_.jpg

Never mind me -- I'm just being silly! :D:):rolleyes:

A while back, another member advised me to wait a year to try the soap (100% salt, that is, 1:1 salt: oil) and I'd like it better --she was right. Two years is even better.

Yeah they've had over a year cure and I still dont like them

Not sure how much salt you are using but try around 35%. I started out with 100% and they weren't the greatest of bars, 50% was much better but still not quite right. Adding in a high oleic oil really changes the feel too.

I'll definitely try that. Pretty sure I used 100% salt

Back