What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this year I read about salt bars and became intrigued. I made about 5 - 6 small batches and proceeded to wait for the cure. I realized that, while I knew that some of you (or your family members) liked them, I didn't know why.

Now that I've used several, I know at least one reason why I like them ~ they're great at the bathroom sink as a hand soap. No squishy, sloppy mess! They are firm down to the last sliver.

So, I'm curious . . . why does anyone else like them?

I like the lather and they seem to rinse easier then a regular bar. In the summer, I always feel cleaner when I use salt bars.

They also have helped sooth my easily irritated skin and help clear up a fungal issue that pops up every once in awhile.

Of course I like how hard and nice they feel. They also seem to last quite a long time.

I fell in love with the lather, i just love how different it is from other soaps. Funny that you mention how firm the are, that is something i dont quite love about them since, once they are thin enough, if they fall, they break and you cant smush them together like softer soaps! But anyway, i also like how smooth they leve my skin. And people that i have given them to have told me the same. They all love them because of how soft their skin feels after.

@Alfa_Lazcares get some kind of sturdy, mesh type material and make a draw string baggy to put your soap slivers in. That way you can just use the bag like a wash cloth and not waste any soap.

You can google soap sock to get ideas.

Duh, i never thought of that. Great idea! What i’ve been doing is to just stick them to “normal” soaps once they get small enough, but that comes with the downside that they get combined with the non salt bars, loosing their full effect, but i’ll try this, thank you!

My husband loves salt bars - I can barely get him to wait for an 8 week cure - I am not a huge fan. Side note: Last week I did pop in a 2+ year old salt bar I made with 50/50 coconut milk and pumpkin puree and I have really been liking that, but it's still not an every day soap for me. Hubby likes them because they get lots of lather, and he doesn't feel greasy when he gets out of the shower. He has really oily skin and salt bars have just the right amount of strip to take his skin down to normal.

I use my salt bars to wash my face almost daily. I find it a beautiful, white, hard bar that's very gentle and lasts a long time.
You may have a convert here! I think I’m gonna try some. I bought some Maine Sea Salt last time I went up north so I will have to try it. It’s super fine...is that ok vs a coarser grind?

Interesting. I have tried making a salt bar before but weepy drippy way it gets before it cures got me worried. Haven’t tried it since that time - about 2years ago. Lol

Can someone please share their favorite salt bar recipe.? Pretty please..... will like to try another batch. Thank you

Here's a recipe I got from another forum member

80% CO
20% Avocado Oil
SF 17%
35% salt (so if you have 1000g total oil, add 350g salt, do not subtract from your total oils)

I like pickling & canning salt or regular table salt. I tried a batch with extra fine pink himalayan salt, but it was too scratchy to be used directly on skin. The only time my salt bars have been weepy was when I used dendritic salt - I think it was too fine of a salt and dissolved in humidity. I've also read that dead sea salt will be weepy.

@JasmineTea I'm gonna hijack your thread with a follow up question, hope that's ok...

For those who have tried both.. What's the difference between a salt bar and a brine (saltwater) soap for you? I mean in terms of using it, not making it..

You may have a convert here! I think I’m gonna try some. I bought some Maine Sea Salt last time I went up north so I will have to try it. It’s super fine...is that ok vs a coarser grind?
You want a fine grain salt. I've used from 50% to 80% salt of oil weight. Lately, I've been liking 50%.

Interesting. I have tried making a salt bar before but weepy drippy way it gets before it cures got me worried. Haven’t tried it since that time - about 2years ago. Lol

Can someone please share their favorite salt bar recipe.? Pretty please..... will like to try another batch. Thank you
I use a similar recipe to amd. 80-85% coconut oil, 15-20% oil of choice (I also like avocado oil). Sometimes 5% castor, but I don't really notice much of a difference with that. I use 50-80% salt of the oil weight. I let my bars cure 6 months. SF 18-20%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of bars from one of the members here, and I find they make my sink feel clean and soft. I'm a convert to them.

@JasmineTea I'm gonna hijack your thread with a follow up question, hope that's ok...

For those who have tried both.. What's the difference between a salt bar and a brine (saltwater) soap for you? I mean in terms of using it, not making it..

I find the soleseife less drying / stripping. The lather is also "less" - but I do have butters in my soleseife recipe so that maybe killing the lather with the salt. I did increase the CO to help with lather, but I'm really hesitant to go over 28% CO. I'm tempted to add an ounce or two of milk to the recipe to see if that makes the lather creamy.

I find the soleseife less drying / stripping. The lather is also "less" - but I do have butters in my soleseife recipe so that maybe killing the lather with the salt. I did increase the CO to help with lather, but I'm really hesitant to go over 28% CO. I'm tempted to add an ounce or two of milk to the recipe to see if that makes the lather creamy.
I tried adding cocoa butter to a batch of salt bars. There was a noticeable difference in the lather. I won't be doing that again. Milk might help, or some honey. How do you feel about adding sugar? I've yet to make a soleseife soap - I'll be moving that onto the 2019 try-it list.

Don’t want to hijack the thread...

Oops...I think! I JUST made a batch of soap and used 10% cocoa butter. I did use 35% coconut,35% olive oil, 10% palm, 5% castor, 5% Shea butter. Will the butters affect the lather too much? I used 35% sea salt as that was all I had.

Latest posts

Back