What Do You Do With Unsolicited Bad Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM soaps don't have to end up tan. I used to suck at milk soaping until I started using the 'split method', which allows me to make GM soaps that are only slightly off-white (ivory), even when fully gelled.

With the split method, my lye and milk never come into contact with each other until after I pour the lye solution into my oils. Basically, I use a 50% lye/water solution (the lye amount for my batch is mixed with an equal amount of water), and then I use fresh, refrigerated Meyenberg GM (i.e., not the canned stuff) as the rest of the water amount for my batch. I stick-blend the milk into my oils either right before or just after adding in the 50% lye solution. This will make about a 30% milk soap or so, depending on the overall lye concentration for my batch.

In order to make a 100% GM soap via the split method, I fortify my fresh milk quotient with enough GM powder to bring it to the proper concentration for a 100% milk soap. Then I stick-blend it into my oils as above- either before or just after I've added in my lye solution.

It's so easy and it works like a charm. I'll no longer do it any other way.

IrishLass :)

Coconut milk soaps are pretty easy IMO. I should have specified dairy milk. Mind tends to smell like baby vomit, no matter what I do. But that could be my nose - I've sniffed GM soap at craft fairs and I often catch that sour milk / baby vomit smell.

We discussed the vomit smell some time ago in this thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=55281

I haven't gotten the vomit smell thankfully, but I do get that "old cheese" smell. It does go away eventually.

Comparing it to Hershey's was maybe a little bit of an exaggeration. More like Cadbury's Dairy Milk bars. Definitely burned.

Hmmm how to say this.... Cadbury Dairy milk is awesome where's Hershey's both smells and tastes like vomit mixed in with something pretending to be chocolate.

Sorry. Actually no not sorry. Hahahaha :p

Hmmm how to say this.... Cadbury Dairy milk is awesome where's Hershey's both smells and tastes like vomit mixed in with something pretending to be chocolate.

Sorry. Actually no not sorry. Hahahaha :p

Y'all have to get different chocolate over there. I would describe the Cadbury's exactly how you described Hershey's. I am not saying that Hershey's is the best chocolate available, just that the Cadbury's smells off here. I won't buy any of their chocolate.

Latest posts

Back