What do you do with all your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npsmama

Reaction score
It's a very addictive hobby...but soap doesn't wear that fast and there's only so much you can give to friends and family before they start to think you're trying to tell them something :lol: :lol:

So, assuming you don't do this for a business, what do you guys do with your little treasures? Do you have cupboards full of soap bars??

my friends and family has not purchase soap in just about 8 years now.

I use it, my kids, my neighboors.. and I also sell soap.

Its fun.. but additive :D

I like the idea of sharing soap with shelters for women, homeless shelters etc. I think for people who are displaced a nice bar of soap is a wonderfully special thing. Also, donating it in the event of disaster relief is a great idea. :D

fun soap for family and gifts. and demanding wholesale man that purchase many logs 4 times a year.

Every few months I take a basket full into work & put it on the table for everyone to help themselves. I'm about due to do that again.

The market here is saturated with soapmakers. I give a bag full to the food bank every month and everyone gets it for gifts. Like PrincessMommy said I make 1 lb batches, then I get a chance to try all the ideas that I get.

Laurie

Becky said:
Every few months I take a basket full into work & put it on the table for everyone to help themselves. I'm about due to do that again.
I think I'll have to get a job just so I can have access to more people to give my excess soap to. I like the idea of putting a container next to it and requesting donations.

Every now and then I get frustrated at all the accumulated junk around my house and I start throwing things away. I've only started soaping recently and this is the first time the urge to get rid of junk has struck me since I started. I think I'll pick some of my worst batches and dump them instead of rebatching them. I'd rather make some new, good soap than waste more effort making bad soap into average soap. I've already got plenty of average soap too.

Maybe one day I'll start selling some.

I've only been doing this for about a month and half, but have now got an overflowing rack of different batches. I've given 2 batches away already.

Making a couple of batches a weekend is going to add up, but I just can't stop. Nobody warned me it would be this addictive.

I think I might have to define my recipe and get certified to sell it, otherwise we'll be disappearing under a soap mountain.

Lane said:
All of my soaps go here:
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/shelter/default.asp

I even set up a donation drive though my web site. :)

Wow, Lane.... I just checked out that site.

I'm humbled by your generosity and selfless spirit.

Although I don't make much soap yet, & I don't have a business, once I understand how to make a decent soap, I think I will look into sending them some.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

To my shame, I never crossed my mind to donate my soap...but it's definitely the answer to my predicament.

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure how that would work.
I wonder if the shelters here would legally only be able to accept soap from a registered, certified soap-maker (which I am not and do not wish to be)?

Anyone from the UK with any knowledge?

Just thinking....I suppose I could always give my soaps to a charity shop...that way the soap would be doing some good to someone...

SoapyGal said:
Lane said:
All of my soaps go here:
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/shelter/default.asp

I even set up a donation drive though my web site. :)

Wow, Lane.... I just checked out that site.

I'm humbled by your generosity and selfless spirit.

Although I don't make much soap yet, & I don't have a business, once I understand how to make a decent soap, I think I will look into sending them some.

Thanks for opening my eyes.
Thank ya. :) This is how I run the drive through my site. I make two batches every month and donate them regardless of whether people get involved.
http://luxurylanesoap.com/DonationDriveNoShipChrg.html
I have GOT to update my numbers on my site AND get a full box off in the mail... :oops:

npsmama said:
It's a very addictive hobby...but soap doesn't wear that fast and there's only so much you can give to friends and family before they start to think you're trying to tell them something :lol: :lol:

So, assuming you don't do this for a business, what do you guys do with your little treasures? Do you have cupboards full of soap bars??

Hi npsmama!

I give mine to neighbors, especially those who are struggling, the elderly in my town. But the one I really enjoy...is giving them as "Thank You" gifts to my children's teachers, teacher aids, principles (they each go to a different school). I give them to the receptionists at their pediatric clinic, as well as my doctor's office. I give them to the ladies at my local cable company's office. My landlord, My park manager, the waitress/waiter that we see regularly when we eat out, The manager of the restaurant, the kids soccer-baseball-football coach, the girls dance instructor, the piano teacher, my pastor, the youth pastor, childcare/nursery director & aids, the church secretary, that deacon that is always there when you need him. Your options are virtually endless when you start giving them away like that!

And it is SOO rewarding! Especially if I have had a bad day or week. I make a point to give some away. And it always makes me feel better!

And I love the charity idea. I have thought of doing that, many times. But wanted to make sure my donations would actually get to those they were made for and not be discarded due to policy. Thanks for sharing yours with us! I will add the address to my bookmarks!

Thanks for bumping this thread, Black soap n candle lady...it got me thinking.

I just contacted a local outreach program and offered some to their food pantry....we'll see what they have to say. :)

The food bank idea is brillant!! I am going to call and check out our local one. Everyone who crosses my path gets soap! My kids are inundated. My husband goes through a bar about every five weeks...drives me crazy...why can't he try more than one at a time? I just mailed off more soap today to a friend. We have a local homeless shelter where folks can actually live for awhile until they get on their feet. They take in families and they have their own bathrooms. I bring two boxes of soap...ladies and gents...to them every couple of months. I like wrapping and decorating the soaps so I spend an afternoon with pretty paper and stickers and handmade labels and make them look special before I bring the soaps over to the shelter. I still have too much soap...so I think this food bank idea is a good one. :D
rita

Back