Quantcast

What do you do with all the soap?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

RainyDayRose

Reaction score
I have been intrigued with soap (and candle) making for some time now. Finally decided to jump in and ordered a small number of supplies to get started.

I'm looking for a fun hobby that creates something useful where I can experiment and be creative. This does seem to fit what I want, with one big open question in my mind.

What does one do with all the soap? My family is small, as is my circle of friends, and a person can only use so much soap. I don't really want to sell it because that sounds like too much work and this is for fun. I would love some ideas on what to do with the output of my new hobby.

Thanks in advance!

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. When I first started and had acquired around 300 bars of soap I started giving them to family, friends, mailman, etc. I still had a lot of soap and wanted to keep making it so I donated it to family centers and homeless shelters. I have also donated to those overseas serving our country. It's an addictive hobby for sure.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You could try not making too much soap. Make a batch of about 1lb or so and don't make it so often that you can't easily gift it and use it.

Think of it like other hobbies - cake bakers, for example, don't bake so many cakes that they stand around going off, but they bake what they want to when it makes sense to do so.

A lot of people seem to make soap daily or at least multiple times a week and then say that they 'have' to sell because their hobby is costing too much money.

Good thing is, you can always post a recipe here and get some feedback before you make it, so you can cut a lot of the wasted time out of the experimentation!

commoncenz

Reaction score
I've got about 80 bars (down from over 250) sitting in boxes now. I just "re"-started making soap in March and kinda went crazy making batches. I have an agreement with the local battered women's center that I will donate soap when I feel that there is too much sitting around, and I've been donating since May. The staff and those being served seem to really appreciate it.

I think that even if I eventually start selling, I will continue to make soap for the shelter. It's fulfilling.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
You can also make laundry soap, and liquid soap. Those are fun. And keep a stock for holidays.

I give away soaps to everyone - my chiropractor, dentist, my plumber loves them! I have a bowl of soap at work. Soon Ill need to start donating - there's a womens shelter nearby that I will donate too when I get a box full.

Viore

Reaction score
I agree with TEG, make small batches. My family and circle of friends is also pretty small, and I make a 2lb batch of soap about every other week. The 7 bars I get from each batch then go out to friends and family (while I keep one bar for myself). Maybe you could also give some away at work? I work in a school, and at the end of the last school year I gave away 20 small squares of soap (a regular bar cut in half) and they all were so happy!

kumudini

Reaction score
I make a lot of soap when I do. But I keep giving it to all the friends who visit us. I have sent some for family. recently when I had to take a break for a couple of months during our house moving, and my husband wanted his favorite bar I found that I was already running out. So I guess I am really good at getting rid of extra soap.

RainyDayRose

Reaction score
Got it. Small batches, don't be shy about giving it away, save some for holidays, and donate to local shelters. Also, I like the idea of verifying recipes here to avoid wasting product.

That all sounds very workable. Thanks!

aprice522

Reaction score
Being new....I find it VERY hard to limit myself.

I feel I have to test everything because when they are finally ready to test out I want to be able to compare them to see what I like best
--oil choices
--additives (sugar, honey, oats, beer, milk, aloe, salt, clay, silk, colors, scents)

and then don't forget the
--Ooooh, I have got to try that design.

Yes, I have a very hard time limiting myself. My bars are almost ready to start checking out/testing out. I have sent a few home with my best friend the other day. I am using my shampoo soap. My 6 yr old keeps giving them as gifts anywhere she visits...."Mom, I want THIS soap to give to Grandma when I go to her house for the evening"

I have three kids, so teachers gifts...we have extended family, so gifting them. I love the idea of sending them in a care package to troops.

Right now I am really hurrying to find my few "solid" recipe bars so I can know what I want in them and actually make some pretties for the holiday season--truly properly cured.

ETA: My largest batch is only 700g at the most. I get 8 solid and 1 partial bar...

Last edited:

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I've got about 80 bars (down from over 250) sitting in boxes now. I just "re"-started making soap in March and kinda went crazy making batches. I have an agreement with the local battered women's center that I will donate soap when I feel that there is too much sitting around, and I've been donating since May. The staff and those being served seem to really appreciate it.

I think that even if I eventually start selling, I will continue to make soap for the shelter. It's fulfilling.
I really like this idea. I would love to do something similar once I have determined that I'm making safe to use soap. Thanks for the idea :)