what do you do when...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The item was $ 6.95/2 oz bottle. I got a 5$ coupon.
The other time a couple months ago was a 1oz bottle of preservative. It was something like 3.25 and a got around, oh, 1.50$ if I recall, in yet another coupon.

They prorated amount lost to amount reimbursed.

Not to mention, that $5 coupon wouldn't even cover the shipping/handling charge for your next order. Like Shunt said, there are just too many other suppliers that offer good prices, good shipping and good customer service. No need to deal with the headaches of this supplier.

Craig, makes a great point in describing customer service. Good customer service includes making the customer feel their problem was important. This supplier always makes it sound like it's no big deal.

That is not even close to satisfactory. You paid for the cost of a new, pristine item plus the shipping and you received a sullied one. The remaining product may be usable, but the transaction was for a full and complete bottle. You did not receive that so in essence the contract has been broken. The $5 coupon is an insult.

So sorry they wouldn't do better for you.

That is poor customer service! In their eyes they think they are doing right because they responded to you and "offered" a discount code, a discount that doesn't cover the cost of the product nor the shipping. I think I can guess which supplier you speak of and I too on my last order from them had a leaking bottle. I wasn't a huge loss, maybe a few ml. but it ruined the label and a label of another FO. They are always my last supplier to go to for something because of their shipping times and now the leaking FO. I didn't even bother with contacting them and from the response from them that you posted I am glad I didn't waste my time. It will only be a matter of time before their poor customer service catches up with them!

I have worked with lots of commercial suppliers, but not with the soap industry. I expect any item that arrives broken or leaking to be replaced or refunded immediately. Usually a photograph of the broken/leaky item would be sufficient evidence for them to sort this. Their solution to your problem is completely unacceptable and I would not purchase from them again if I were you.

There's a guy that Jstar recommended to me, Mikes Fragrance. He has some perfumers that he works with and swears he can pretty much match anything. I'm sending him two FO's to see how close he can get and how they hold up. Might be a thought for you. I'll try and remember to let you know how they turn out. Probably won't mail them out to him till Monday.

I've seen him mentioned. Yes, please update on the quality. I'm done. I'm well over 30, and feeling like I was spoken to like a small is irritating and aggravating...not to mention the crappy fix.

I'm 52. These days I don't get mad very easy, I just tell them how I feel and take my business elsewhere. But I hear what you're saying. It's just a condescending tone. I'll make myself a note to fill you in on the dupes of the dupes. :razz:

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a soap company in UK that sent a parcel out to me in Zambia. When I complained about the leaking bottle that had no stopper in it, they suggested that maybe customs had opened it and taken it out. Really!!!!
No refund cos they had posted it more than 7 days ago despite it being an international destination. All they asked for was the initials on the bottle so they would know who packed it and for training purposes, told them to spend more money on their in-house training. I am done with them, have found another supplier who is superb in comparison.

Not only did she speak to you like a small child, she totally removed herself {her company} from responsibility with this line:

"I'm so sorry that item leaked in transit!"

To me, that would have made me boiling mad. I have been in all areas of retail, shipping, etc.and especially CS, and THAT....just..ugh...no.

She should have refunded your money, or sent another bottle to replace the one that leaked and ate the difference {she can afford it :problem:}...shipping will not damage a product most times if its packed right.

I used to work in a tattoo supply company, and I made sure everything was sealed..I never got a report of anything leaking..ever. I was constantly researching different ways of packaging to make 'sure' it didn't..and I packed and shipped ALOT of ink.

Im sorry you got messed over on that deal, but she should be glad it wasn't 'me' that was on the receiving end of that deal...Im 50 and not easy to anger, but when I 'do' get pushed that far, I tend to let em have it.

You've lost a portion of the product you paid for..doesn't matter how much..it needs to be replaced...Normally if it was a small amount and they were nice about it, Id let it blow by, but the way they responded would've made me demand my portion lost..and shipped to me for free.:twisted:

Sorry..I just hate it when companies act like that....grrr..I'll be quiet now :lol:

What do you do when you make a purchase, and you receive said purchase leaking? Better question, what do you expect a supplier to do to rectify said situation?

Happened to me tonight, second time with same supplier. First time I had pics and they reimbursed me about $1.50 (or slightly less than) for my troubles of a little leaking of a preservative. Now it's a big leak of a fragrance oil. Not sure what a proper response is (or should I say, what I should expect from them in this situation).

That's some egregious customer service! As a soap seller, I wind up shipping liquid products and take precautions like individually bagging liquid soaps and lotions. If something leaks during shipping, I offer a replacement on me or a refund of that product. Hopefully the bag contains the leak, but if it didn't I would expect to be replacing the entire order or refunding. That's just good customer service and what I would expect from any other retailer. If something smells fishy/fraudy.....well if it's a small order I'll probably just eat the loss in the form of the benefit of the doubt and remember that customer in the future. Big orders from a new customer might call for some evidence of the extent of the damage so I can file the shipping insurance claim/make sure I'm not getting ripped off by a scam.

But gosh dang, I would NEVER insult a customer with a coupon towards a future purchase! Having made enough supply orders, I've been through mispacks and shipping damage with various suppliers. I always have an expectation in mind before I call the customer service number as to what solution will make me happy. I've only once had to threaten a charge back on a company and no longer shop with them (not the one you're dealing with).

Here is what I have learned when lodging a complaint: the first contact can be an offer--what can you do to make this right? But you can also say from the start, "Dear Company, see attached picture. Unfortunately, your shipping dept packed my FO improperly, and about 2 oz was lost in shipping. I'd like you to ship out replacement ounces. A coupon code for my trouble having to clean up the mess would also help our continuing relationship."

The company in question may just be incredibly perky. But the passive voice on the issue was wrong. I'd respond to the email, with a variation on the above, insisting on replacement.

You can also write a review on Yelp, for instance, which is more likely to get read by a company owner, who likely trusts her team rather than reviewing each decision.

Good luck!

...shipping will not damage a product most times if its packed right.

This is beyond true. In my day job I receive vials of liquid weekly from 5mL dropper vials to 10mL, 30mL, 50mL and 100mL multi-dose vials and I have never.. EVER received a broken one.

There is zero excuse for poor packaging on fragile items from a company that literally specializes in shipping vials of liquids! *

They will keep up the poor CS until we as consumers let them know, where it hurts, that we will not put up with it anymore. I have no problem cutting suppliers out of my life LOL

ETA: *Yes, accidents happen. However this sounds like it happens too frequently with this company.

Not trying to hijack but I have a question re Soaper's Choice - I only received only part of an order and have been leaving phone messages for Ilene and Mike for 2 weeks. I just sent them an e-mail since I've not gotten a return phone call. I love their pricing and their products so I'm hoping they are just very busy. Just a comment on your experiences resolving issues would be helpful. I hate o be out $68.00 in lanolin.

For what it is worth, here is what I do to get better resolution to problems: I call them on the phone(my voice carries more emotion than words on a screen). I speak to the customer service person that answers the phone. I make them spell their name, and tell them I am writing it down. I then explain what is going on. If I do not get an adequate resolution, I explain to that person that that is unacceptable, but I know this situation is not their fault, so I ask to speak to their supervisor. I repeat the whole process until I get to someone who can fix the issue, and is smart enough to realize that if I am writing down names, it is not going to be pretty if they don't fix the issue. And Heaven help the 4th person on the phone with me, because by then I am angry enough to discuss the inadequacies of their customer service, as well as the incompetence of whoever created the problem, and the poor planning on their part that makes me have to go up 3 levels from the first CS person who answered the phone. In detail.

I have yet to have this not work.

Then, if I have to deal with them on an ongoing basis(phone/internet company) I send a follow up letter(snail mail type) enumerating the conversations I had, including people's names to the vice president in charge of whatever department covers CS as well as the original problem. This ensures that the next time I have to call, I get a fast resolution as soon as they look up my account.

There is no excuse for bad CS. You pay all of their salaries. Too often the people in power have no idea what their subordinates are doing. I simply let them know.

Thanks for the email!

Oh No! I'm so sorry that item leaked in transit! How disappointing, for sure! Luckily, it looks like not much was lost. Whew! I'm going to go ahead and issue you a store coupon for your trouble. Just enter coupon code XXXXX at checkout and a discount of $5 will automatically apply.

Let me know if you have any further questions! =)

Unfortunately the tone of this response tells me exactly which company this is! And it is an awful response. It is condescending and passive-aggressive, and the chirpy tone makes it all the more infuriating. Ugh.

In trying to understand why they are like this, I am guessing that the owner has instructed CS to give away as little as possible while at the same time to be super-friendly and the result is that they are caught between a rock and a hard place and end up sounding like Basil Fawlty! (from Fawlty Towers). Having said that, there is one CS person there who I have found to be very helpful and genuinely friendly.

Last edited:
Susie - totally agree with you. Follow-up with Soaper's Choice - I received an e-mail from Eileen: She apologized; thought she had called me. Lanolin was back-order. It has arrived and they need to process it. She said it would be shipped on Friday. Very happy - now I know the best way to get in touch with them.

Okay, it's killing me that I don't know which company has such disreputable service and slow supply lines. Before I make the same mistake would somebody please message me which company this is? Thank you!

Okay, it's killing me that I don't know which company has such disreputable service and slow supply lines. Before I make the same mistake would somebody please message me which company this is? Thank you!

^This. I understand not wanting to besmirch someone's reputation. However, there are lots of us who do not run businesses that do not need the aggravation of dealing with a company that does this.(and people who do run businesses who don't need it either!) Please either PM me the name or post it here. It is not libel when it is the truth.

Back