What do you do when your soap batch starts seizing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

It's a rhetorical question. :)

1.) You get the soap into the mold as quickly as possible.

2.) You get DH/DW to make you a nice strong Margarita.

3.) You get DH/DW to clean up your soaper mess while you sip it and go on the Internet and make a post like I'm making right now. :D

Being I'm single, I had to make my Margarita myself, but no problem because DW always makes them too damned weak anyway. ;)

Being I'm single, DW isn't cleaning up my mess right now, so I decided to just leave it until tomorrow. Anything could happen by then. Maybe I'll wake up dead, or maybe I'll drink too many Margaritas and wake up married. If so, DW can clean up the mess while she's making me a pot of coffee. :D

That's all from the 'Hound house this fine evening. Fire in the hole!!! ;)

I had another Margarita. The mess in the sink doesn't look all that much better. It's more like I don't feel as much judgmental that it looks bad. "Honey, does this skirt make me look fat." "Oh no honey, I love you just the way you are."

I love my sink just the way it is. Particularly if I don't have to clean it, or at least clean it right now... ;)

I've read that you can spray it with cold water to slow down the seize - but haven't tried it yet. Are you throwing the margarita on the soap?

;)

Hahahaha! :D

The good news is that when I woke up the next morning

1. I wasn't dead.

2. I wasn't married

3. Didn't have a hangover

and 4. I had a spurt of restless energy after dinner and cleaned up all the soaping mess and the next morning my kitchen was all sparkling clean!

Would you believe just clean without the sparkling? ;)

Well the EOs didn't integrate with the batch and started bleeding when I cut it so I rebatched it in a crock pot and everything came out okay and the soap is fine although one shade darker than I wanted it.

Not too bad though. :)

I'm not up for trying to spray it with cold water. At my present stage of inexperience I'd just ruin the whole batch.

but if you get DH to clean up the mess....or rather, tell him, as you are running out the door, "leave the last soap pot, i'll clean it up when i get back...." and he doesn't hear you....you'll end up with a huge funky spot on your countertop because he set the soap pot (which had some unsap soap batter on the bottom) on the counter while cleaning up the sink. but its hard to get tooo mad at him since the huge spot is next to the little spots that YOU put on the counter because you didn't put down plastic last time you measured lye....

additionally, you can just dump the margarita into the pot and call it a salt bar.... :lol:

WilsonFamilyPicnic said:
but its hard to get tooo mad at him since the huge spot is next to the little spots that YOU put on the counter because you didn't put down plastic last time you measured lye....

additionally, you can just dump the margarita into the pot and call it a salt bar.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: The salt bar.....now that's what I call a great save!

Digit

Put the Margarita down right now, mister, and get that pot of seizing soap on the stove pronto! (Just trying to make up for your unfortunate [or fortunate] lack of a nagging wife.) :lol:

Seriously, for future reference, you can just immediately HP that seizing sucker- providing that your soap pot is stove-top safe, that is. I always soap in a stainless steel pot just in case for that very reason. When I see a horrible seize coming on, I just immediately take my pot over to the stove and put it on low and stir (when it's possible to stir, that is ), until the soap melts to a nice malleable, gel-like consistency, and then I glop and mash it into my mold. I've only had to do this twice in almost 2 years of soaping, but it works great and my batches came out wonderful. HTH! :)

IrishLass

IrishLass said:
Put the Margarita down right now, mister, and get that pot of seizing soap on the stove pronto! (Just trying to make up for your unfortunate [or fortunate] lack of a nagging wife.) :lol:

Seriously, for future reference, you can just immediately HP that seizing sucker- providing that your soap pot is stove-top safe, that is. I always soap in a stainless steel pot just in case for that very reason. When I see a horrible seize coming on, I just immediately take my pot over to the stove and put it on low and stir (when it's possible to stir, that is ), until the soap melts to a nice malleable, gel-like consistency, and then I glop and mash it into my mold. I've only had to do this twice in almost 2 years of soaping, but it works great and my batches came out wonderful. HTH! :)

IrishLass

see now I wouldnt even of thought of that but ill remember it for the future! I was going to say have another margarita but this time put a little Tequila FLOATER on it mmmm spice makes everything nice and with a little bit of that F'it in your system...the kitchen WILL look sparkling clean anyways!!! lol (or maybe thats just from the blurred vision!?)

Back