What do you do when you can't soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I have a lot of hobbies, soaping is only one. And which I choose to do for the evening is often determined by where my head is at. If I can focus tightly (not always easy) I do art. If I'm fidgety and can't seem to focus at all, I crochet. If my body hurts too much to sit still for long whiles, I cook or bake. Etc.

Tonight - . Too tired to do much physical but not sleepy yet. Sorta want to do something intricate. So I'm sitting here creating the heddle loops I'll need once I get this makeshift loom warped. I want to work on a tapestry.

What do you do when you're not soaping?

And so the weaving begins (insomnia sucks, but it sure does make for interesting projects)

Basic loom made from a wooden wine box and push pins
String heddles made from chopsticks
Bobbins made from clothes pins split in half
And sword/beater I'm using a ruler

It ain't fancy, but it'll do LOL

Wine box with warp pins every 1/8th inch, staggered for easier warping, with cardstock spacers at top and bottom uploadfromtaptalk1448619421696.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448619576452.jpg
Warped and thread heddles in place uploadfromtaptalk1448619531939.jpg
My chopstick heddles LOL uploadfromtaptalk1448619561906.jpg
Starting to weave (I'm using cotton crochet thread for warp and weft, though I may play with some other fibers I have laying around) uploadfromtaptalk1448619705347.jpg

I think the loom itself is beautiful! I love tools/machines, especially hand made ones. You did a really beautiful job constructing that. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I always have a lot of things on my list, some creative, some not so much. Currently, I'm still putting finishing touches on things related to the screened porch construction, like putting another coat of paint on the door, or another coat of stain on the floor, adding a spring to the screen door. Deciding whether to add another string of lights to the porch. Oh, and the dreaded jobs of organizing the garage and basement. So far, retirement's been really busy! I look forward to having nothing but time to soap, soap, soap! I'm with you on the insomnia thing...it sucks.

Navigator thanks :) I thought the wine box would be awkward but it's actually kinda cool because I can put my tools inside under the weaving and set the whole thing on a shelf. And I just realized that the wooden lid still slides into its slot, which means I can mount a drawing on it that will sit right behind my warp threads, so I can follow the pattern. I'm kinda liking my homemade box loom LOL

Your porch project sounds like a lot of fun, even if it is tons of work. I wish j had the means to retire. I'd spend my time working on my art projects. Ah well, for now, I'll enjoy when I can :)

Wow I love the loom. How cool is that! I love re-purposing things and you have done that for sure. I've spent quite a while pouring over your photos and seeing how you did it all. My mom was a weaver and tried to teach me, but I wasn't ready at the time. Now that I am ready, she is no longer around. :(

I've spent a lot of time sewing and quilting in the past. Right now I'm in slow recovery from an ulnar nerve compression. It is much better. I now can type a little (using 8 fingers); and I can make soap but only 1 batch a day so I don't overdo it. But I'm not ready for any sewing or handwork. So I have turned into the couch potato I used to detest. But during this time I am watching lots of refurbishing and recycling shows and mentally storing away ideas I'd like to try. Right now I'm in the midst of a season of Salvage Dawgs.

Do keep us informed of your progress. I'd love to see the finished product(s).

Ugh! Insomnia sucks! Great job on the loom. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you create.

I, too, have several hobbies. Weekends are my soap making time. During the week, I mostly knit and occasionally paint (water colours) or work on my blog(s) or I surf the web looking for inspiration, whether it be for soaping, cooking, drawing/painting... whatever.

On my needles right now are a cardigan for my husband (back's done, working on the front) and a tiny vest for my newest grandson.

And if I'm completely uninspired or uninterested in anything, I'll settle in with a bottle of wine and watch whatever my husband decides to stream.

Wow, Gigi- your makeshift loom looks and sounds like a really cool contraption! I hope you'll show us pics of what you end up making on it!

Lately when I'm not soaping, I've been working on compiling a family cookbook so our collective family recipes can be handed down to the future generations without them ever having to wonder how great-great aunt so-and-so used to make those awesome whatchamacallits. lol

IrishLass :)

Wow! That loom is really cool!

Hobbies? We live in the country and my neck is kinda red. I'll keep it on the PC side though.
We watch the wildlife which we also give snacks. We do keep them all wild so they scatter when they see us.

When the weather is on the warmer side ( 14F this AM (-10C) ) we have outdoor fun with the river that's in the back yard.
Right now it's woodstove time and plotting my next soapy project.:twisted:

Wow I love the loom. How cool is that! I love re-purposing things and you have done that for sure. I've spent quite a while pouring over your photos and seeing how you did it all. My mom was a weaver and tried to teach me, but I wasn't ready at the time. Now that I am ready, she is no longer around. :(

I've spent a lot of time sewing and quilting in the past. Right now I'm in slow recovery from an ulnar nerve compression. It is much better. I now can type a little (using 8 fingers); and I can make soap but only 1 batch a day so I don't overdo it. But I'm not ready for any sewing or handwork. So I have turned into the couch potato I used to detest. But during this time I am watching lots of refurbishing and recycling shows and mentally storing away ideas I'd like to try. Right now I'm in the midst of a season of Salvage Dawgs.

Do keep us informed of your progress. I'd love to see the finished product(s).

Ruthie, how frustrating that must be. I'm glad you're making progress though. You'll be back at the crafty table in no time :)

As to the look, TY! :) I can easily do a diagram of how I built it. It really was easy to build. As to the wanting to learn, I highly recommend YouTube. I was taught weaving way back yonder when I was a teen by an art teacher. I played with it for a short while, then moved on, like most teens LOL. When I wanted to take it up again, I hit YouTube and found a ton of basic information to refresh my brain :)

Misschief oh fun! I like watercolors too, and I knit, just not very often LOL. Post pics of the vests, I'd love to see them :)

Lsg - I love paper craft too.I've not done many hand made cards, I focus on boxes more than anything. Do you have pics of you cards? Share a link

what kind of painting luebella?

oh IrishLass, the cookbook idea is outstanding. What a lovely project! I bet there's some awesome recipes in there. And I sure will post progress

Steve, I used to go out hiking with an ex boyfriend and it was always a lovely day. Do you photograph the wildlife ?:)

TY for the positive feedback on my cobbled together loom LOL. I can't wait to see what you all are working on :)

Hobbies? I don't have too much time for hobbies at the moment, unfortunately. My two year keeps me pretty darn busy. She's my main hobby, haha.
I used to draw and paint watercolors, and I love to bake when I have the time (toddler can at least help me out with baking). Making soap has been a real treat when I get a moment to myself.

Steve, I used to go out hiking with an ex boyfriend and it was always a lovely day. Do you photograph the wildlife ?:)

We have pictures of deer, wild turkeys and lots of other birds. Humming bird feeders go up in March and usually just hang for 6 weeks while we wait for them to get back. DW Jan hand feeds them!
Fox moves too fast to get pictures. The dirt around the hen house has been treated with cement and cayenne to discourage digging. Works like a magic! Guess one nose full of pepper is all they need.
Never even thought to get pictures of the red tail hawks. They let us know when we get too close to the nest!

Sometimes I forget how blessed I am to live where I do after spending 30 years out building roads.

Just click on the link above my signature line.

How pretty those are!

Hobbies? I don't have too much time for hobbies at the moment, unfortunately. My two year keeps me pretty darn busy. She's my main hobby, haha.
I used to draw and paint watercolors, and I love to bake when I have the time (toddler can at least help me out with baking). Making soap has been a real treat when I get a moment to myself.

Holy moly a toddler will sure keep ya busy for sure LOL

Ruthie, how frustrating that must be. I'm glad you're making progress though. You'll be back at the crafty table in no time :)

As to the look, TY! :) I can easily do a diagram of how I built it. It really was easy to build. As to the wanting to learn, I highly recommend YouTube. I was taught weaving way back yonder when I was a teen by an art teacher. I played with it for a short while, then moved on, like most teens LOL. When I wanted to take it up again, I hit YouTube and found a ton of basic information to refresh my brain :)

YouTube! Now why didn't I think of that? I use it all the time for all sorts of other projects. First one I checked out was a loom made from a picture frame. That might be better for me, cause I'm not sure I could find a box like yours. But thanks for the diagram offer.

I do need to count my blessings for what I am now able to do. At first I could not even hold a paper with my left hand so I could cut it with my right hand. So progress has been fairly quick.

YouTube! Now why didn't I think of that? I use it all the time for all sorts of other projects. First one I checked out was a loom made from a picture frame. That might be better for me, cause I'm not sure I could find a box like yours. But thanks for the diagram offer.

I do need to count my blessings for what I am now able to do. At first I could not even hold a paper with my left hand so I could cut it with my right hand. So progress has been fairly quick.

Oh I like the picture frame style too! I'm looking at thrift stores for a large enough one that I can use for a larger piece LOL. As for the box, if it's a really small project, I bet this box or its lid would work.
http://www.michaels.com/artminds-wood-box/10399984.html#q=Wood+box&start=12
It's 9x12, so would work for something small. If you want a larger box, like the wine box (14ishx24ish), check a local liquor store, or a fine wine bar. They may have them :)

Since soap making is a hobby and not a business I have to pace myself to keep from being buried in soap. So I have several hobbies. I make quilts and other quilted items. Most are donated to the country store at church. It's part of our Autumn Festival held every October. I also hand dye much of my fabric. I do that in the summer when I can work outside. I also make wine. I grow a lot of fruit and berries and use them to make my wines. Like soaping, the wines add up and I have to take a break from that now and then too. I have just heard of an outlet for some of my soap. There is a group that puts together bags of small personal care items for the homeless. They collect the small soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc. that are supplied when staying at hotels and motels. They add toothpaste and brush, deodorant and any other items that are donated. They like the small sizes so the bag of item is small enough for a pocket. I am going to make a batch of small size soaps every month to donate. Right now I am hand appliqueing some blocks with wool that I felted. Last but not least is reading. Give me a good book and will read all night long until I finish it.

Mary Lou

Back