What do you do when you can't soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gigi, nice loom! I would love to see your fabric too. :)

Speaking of homemade tools, I built a small backyard forge this past summer and have been trying to learn basic blacksmithing, starting with forging nails. Lucky for me, there is an awesome metal supplier right down the street from my house. Got 10' of steel rod the other day for $1.25; it's strangely more affordable than soaping!

Thanks folks :) i haven't done weaving in forever and I enjoy it. I forgot how important tension is though, so my little weaving went wonky really quick LOL. Was going to keep going, wonky or not, until my goofy cat decided to attack the loom while I was working on it. She pounced down smack dab in the middle, determined to kill the evil yarn, and snapped half the warp threads in one pounce. And, as if that's not bad enough, she then sat right in the middle of the mess she made, pretty as a picture, and meowed at me, like "what? I wanted to weave too. I didn't do nothing."

Dumb cat LOL. Had to restring the whole thing when I got home from work (since I couldn't sleep). Gonna try again to lay down so I can get at least a little sleep before work.

Great to see these wonderful hobbies!

I like to take an hour out and watch a British crime series episode. But since I can't sit still I started hand-sewing little dog jackets for our two littles who get cold. Made from sleeves and legs of thrift shop fleece clothes. Family and friends saw and wanted, so made a bunch of trial ones for them. Now I have other requests, broke out the sewing machine unused for 20 years, and plan to sell along with my soaps and B&B stuff in a small boutique that sells everything I can make.

File_000.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Gigi- your makeshift loom looks and sounds like a really cool contraption! I hope you'll show us pics of what you end up making on it!

Lately when I'm not soaping, I've been working on compiling a family cookbook so our collective family recipes can be handed down to the future generations without them ever having to wonder how great-great aunt so-and-so used to make those awesome whatchamacallits. lol

IrishLass :)

I made a family cookbook for my nephew and his wife when they got married and decided then that each of my nieces/nephews would receive this as our gift to them when they get married. I really enjoyed doing it (even though it was stressful) and like knowing that while they may never make the recipes, they are in the book if they want to.

TY for the positive feedback on my cobbled together loom LOL. I can't wait to see what you all are working on :)

I am thinking that look could be modified to make a soap cutter [emoji2][emoji12][emoji41]

How pretty those are!

We bought our son a paper making kit and I still use it often to make paper that is a bit different. Nothing as fancy as lsg's creations but it makes nice paper. I was thinking of getting it out to wrap my soap for Christmas. Depends on time, of course. [emoji21]

We bought our son a paper making kit and I still use it often to make paper that is a bit different. Nothing as fancy as lsg's creations but it makes nice paper. I was thinking of getting it out to wrap my soap for Christmas. Depends on time, of course. [emoji21]

How does the paper hold up, PenelopeJane? I ask because I, too, have a paper-making kit that I bought a while ago, but I have yet to actually use it. Soap-making kinda got in the way. lol

It is very good! Surprisingly good. We used Christmas wrapping paper and it turned the paper pink. I like basically white paper then I add bits of coloured paper so it turns out speckled.

In a way it's like soap making because you can't predict the outcome you just have to try not to use too many dark colours unless you like grey!

Try and keep your paper thin, but well covered, so the final paper is easy to use and not cardboard.

You can write on it and everything. No matter what you use it turns out to be a "feel good" product.

Last edited:
Thanks, PenelopeJane! An idea is now running through my head to wrap my soap in homemade paper.:-o I'm going to start playing with it after Christmas.

Well, I'm boring, not like you guys.
I have little veggie patch that keeps me busy this time of the year. We currently have potatoes, tomatoes, onions, pumpkins...
Appart from that, I like being couch potato. I'm just about to start re watching X-files. :D

Soaping is just my newest hobby. Like quiltertoo, I'm quickly getting buried in soap. I stopped making quilts for the same reason, no one to give them too and have more now than we'll ever wear out. But I do still enjoy sewing all kinds of things. Knitting is my go-to craft, I've always got something on the needles as well as a take along project, usually socks. During the summer I'm either scuba diving or on my Harley. I love long bike trips, now if I could just figure out a way to strap on scuba tanks I could do both and the same trip!

Last edited:
Gigi your loom is awesome! :clap:

Thank you so much for sharing this. My poor college student daughter is addicted to weaving (took a textiles class as a requirement and fell in love) and this will help her to build a loom.

When I can't soap I write, sometimes I sew and I keep a tiny veggie garden on my balcony. I also have a serious soap supply wish-list habit. It's a problem.

Awesome loom, i often threaten my husband that either weaving or stained glass is going to be my next hobby.
I guess you could qualify me as a serial crafter, since i cycle through so many. I'm not sure if it's something to brag about or be ashamed of. Insomnia and chronic pain plays a big part for me as well. It's scary how much trouble you can get in when you have about 22 or so hours in a day.
I too don't sell soap, so like others here I have to pace myself. I fill my time with a lot of SMF, and dabble in body products, but also make cards and other paper crafts, jewelry, knit and am a nail artist. I've been known to write an occasional article and short story which I hope to one day illustrate myself (but that's a looong way off). I also sew/quilt and do machine embroidery. I made my wedding gown a few years ago, a Victorian bustle gown that is pretty much my pride and joy.

Awesome loom, i often threaten my husband that either weaving or stained glass is going to be my next hobby.
I guess you could qualify me as a serial crafter, since i cycle through so many. I'm not sure if it's something to brag about or be ashamed of. Insomnia and chronic pain plays a big part for me as well. It's scary how much trouble you can get in when you have about 22 or so hours in a day.
I too don't sell soap, so like others here I have to pace myself. I fill my time with a lot of SMF, and dabble in body products, but also make cards and other paper crafts, jewelry, knit and am a nail artist. I've been known to write an occasional article and short story which I hope to one day illustrate myself (but that's a looong way off). I also sew/quilt and do machine embroidery. I made my wedding gown a few years ago, a Victorian bustle gown that is pretty much my pride and joy.

TY :) I deal with ptsd related anxiety and insomnia a lot, and having something intricate and meticulous to work on helps a great deal to calm my brain down and relieve stress. You would think it would be stressful in itself, but it's the opposite. When I can't get my brain to stop squirming, I need something that demands real focus, or I'll just keep mentally fidgeting and chasing problems in my head. Weaving seems to work when the stress levels are through the roof and it's really bad.

You should post pics of the wedding dress, I would love to see it :)

Gigi - I too have PTSD related anxiety (2 car accidents in a month, a broken hip from another accident a month later and a bat colony in my house... I was a vegetable for 3 days. Its been crazy recovering from that. One of the reasons I started soaping was to give my brain something complicated (learning different acids and chemistry and just experimenting with different oils and percentages). My other hobbies include reading and writing but they don't help when I get stuck in my head, and yoga or running.

Latest posts

Back