What do you color your soap with

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
What do you use to color your soaps with and why? After reading about Mica dust inhalation it has Me a bit nervous to keep using it. I may just continue while using a respirator because it seems natural colorants aren't as vibrant and don't last as long. What do u like to use? Thanks!

I almost exclusively use micas along with TD, because I love all the different and vibrant colors available.

I haven't been concerned with particles since I always try to keep things from going airborne. I'm lazy and hate to clean-up my messes; it's easier not to make them. I always premix my colorants in oil, water, or glycerin... gently stirring first and then mixing with a minifrother. If I do it right, nothing poofs up. When I watch videos and see plumes of colorants, it's normally when folks dump dry micas on top of their batter.

I like micas best but oxides/ultramarines are nice too. Micas just come in so many vibrant colors and they are easy to use, I can't imagine making colorful soaps without them.
For oxides, I like TD and black, both make great solid colors. My favorite ultramarines are blue and lavender. I do use natural colors once in awhile, especially if I want a more subtle color. My least favorite are clays, I can never get the color I want and I hate how clay makes my skin feel.

That's a good point about not making a mess. I'm a hyoerchondriac so I've been obsessing over this even tho I know it's not that big of a deal unless I make. Clouds of dust and breath it in :p. The color choices are amazing!

Can you mix an ultramarine oxide with a little water then with a liquid colour to get the colour you want or will they separate?

My ultramarine oxide colour had a darker vein going through it. Did I use too much or not mix it enough?

I've gotten VERY vibrant orange-yellow tones from annatto, paprika, turmeric, tomato paste, carrot puree... VERY vibrant greens from organic indigo, and from blending wheat grass, barley grass, and chlorophyll. I usually infuse the powders in olive or sweet almond oil, but infusing and adding the powders gives even brighter color.

I'm with _joy_ I used infused oils and love my colours so far. In saying that I am still new to the whole soaping business so can't comment too much on how the colours hold up.

Back