What do y'all think?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A local restaurant has gone out of business and their assets are being sold through online auction. Besides bidding on a bread pan rack and metal storage rack, I'm thinking about the following lot of items shown in the picture below. The current bid is $8. My thought is that the little cream pitchers would make excellent pouring containers for small amounts of colored soap, as well as some of my shampoo bar ingredients that I melt in a water bath. Of course, that would be way too many for one person, and I don't think I'd use the gravy pitchers. So I'd either ship the extras to any SMF friends, or donate them to a local thrift store. What do you think?

Attachments

• SS cream pitchers.jpeg
    SS cream pitchers.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I love restaurant equipment. I was a cook in the army and my wife and I (mostly wife) opened one for a little over two years before getting side tracked. I have equipment in my pole building that I will never get around to selling and my wife has all that kind of stuff stored in boxes that when we die, our kids will have to deal with. I am not dumb enough to touch it though cause she knows it still has value though we will never get around to selling it.
She does know that I eventually get around to ruining things I get my hands on and so I am not complaining.

The pictures look neat though they do not look stackable and so storage can be an issue but for 8 bucks, how could you go wrong.
Good luck
Cheers
gww

Ahhh, storage, good point. I was more thinking about how the smaller containers would make it so much easier for me to limit the amount of batter that I pour off for swirls, etc. I am forever over-estimating the amount of batter needed for that. Of course, I could use a scale, right? But that would involve MATH. A smaller container would be much more likely to achieve the desired result for me. ;)

Right now I have a stainless steel coffee pot. I absolutely hate it for just one reason. I can not see what is in it with out taking the lid off. I think I would like plastic for what you want to do cause you could look at it from the side to judge how much batter was in it. Just a thought.
Cheers
gww
Ps but I do just love stainless things like you are looking at.

Right now I have a stainless steel coffee pot. I absolutely hate it for just one reason. I can not see what is in it with out taking the lid off. I think I would like plastic for what you want to do cause you could look at it from the side to judge how much batter was in it. Just a thought.
Cheers
gww
Ps but I do just love stainless things like you are looking at.
Good points! The ones I'm looking at are the small creamers in the box, which don't have lids (not the gravy boats next to them, although those might work, too). The creamers are also small enough that I'm pretty sure could discern the contents by looking down from the top.

But hey, I appreciate all thoughts like this - it's the kind of feedback I knew y'all could provide. Thanks!

PS - @gww Very cool that you had a restaurant - my hat is off to you and anyone who can put in that kind of grueling work. Not as bad as healthcare, apparently, but still pretty demanding. Because, you know, people.

@Ford love the bath bomb display idea. That's the kind of creativity that I lack. Watch out, you might end up becoming the SMF photo stager.

I was proud of what we put together on the restaurant but think we started it too late in life and it is hard work and one of the worst money decisions I ever made. I could have concentrated only on it had it been the only way I could make a living but I had another job also. I would like to have the money back but also live pretty darn good even closing it and so just barely did enough right in life to survive about anything I tried.

I have never really been around health care but believe myself to be a coward. I can dig a splinter out of myself and many other painful things but can not really be around others that hurt in any helpful manner. I am so glad that people are built different and have different talents. I look up to those that can do it and believe it to be hard cause I know it would be impossible for me.

I was sorta a lawyer for a bit with a different kind of training then you, IE; union official. I apparently liked that better then washing dishes.

Your stuff, it is only 8 bucks and you might find other uses for the stuff as well. I used a pan like the one the stuff is in to change my oil for years.
Cheers
gww

Looks useful, and if you have more than you'll use, you can certainly find a new home for it, either with other soapmakers, charity or via Facebook marketplace etc.

It is hard to pass on a good deal! Personally, I try to avoid metal containers because they cause a lot of clanking sounds for my videos (probably only annoys me more than anyone). However, if that was not a concern, I would bid on it. They have also an aesthetic value.

Thanks everyone, great feedback. I do prefer cleaning stainless over plastic, that's for sure. Current bid is up to $10, but I think I'd be willing to go up to $20. So far I've been outbid on the bread racks, but I'm going to wait till it's closer to the closing time before rebidding on those. No need to run the price up till the last minute. Will keep y'all posted. Thanks again!

Back