What do we need to know about the Thermal Transfer Method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100%Natural

Reaction score
I started a thread asking about temperatures that everyone uses and Genny mentioned she uses the Thermal Transfer Method. I thought it would be a good idea to keep this in a separate thread.

Does anyone use this method? And what are the no no's with this method?

Really excited to learn about this way of soaping!

So I thought thermal transfer was using lye to melt oils. I'm clueless and a bit doubtful about it. Any input is welcome, or, anyone have a video demonstrating how it's done?

Right. Is the lemon juice used to replace some of the water in the recipe, or how would one figure it into a recipe? I'm rather hooked now.

I answered this in your thread about lemon juice that just started. My thinking is it is a water sub, but I'm on a learning curve with this one so it is only a guess at this point. If you look at the lye vs water amount she used, I really do think she subbed. Otherwise you'd end up with a soggy wet mess on your hands wouldn't you?

Here's hoping the experts can pipe in on this one!

I LOVE THIS FORUM!

So I thought thermal transfer was using lye to melt oils. I'm clueless and a bit doubtful about it. Any input is welcome, or, anyone have a video demonstrating how it's done?

Thermal Transfer Method is using hot lye solution to melt your hard oils.

I'm not sure how the use of Lemon juice as a water sub fits in with that...:think:

I posted this as I had never seen or heard anything about this method before, and it spawned the juice discussion. I've done this method with my last two batches and I love it, I dumped my hard oils straight into the lye and then slowly add my olive oil. No lye waiting to cool or careful melting of oils needed yay. :clap:

I posted this as I had never seen or heard anything about this method before, and it spawned the juice discussion. I've done this method with my last two batches and I love it, I dumped my hard oils straight into the lye and then slowly add my olive oil. No lye waiting to cool or careful melting of oils needed yay. :clap:

I'd be careful while doing that so no hard oils splash the lye up at you.

Also, saw that in that video she says to make sure you have vinegar on hand just in case you spill lye on you. Once again, I have to say, DO NOT PUT VINEGAR ON A LYE BURN. USE WATER.

Actually you are supposed to pour your hot oil onto the hard oils to help prevent splashing....

Pour hot OIL into hard oils? Or hot lye water into oils?

I put all my oils together and mix/mash them together then pour the hot lye/water into the oils to melt the hard oils and SB to get everything mixed up. If am not careful I have a thick paste before I can do any swirling or anything. Depends on the oils and FO/EO that I use too. I've never heard a name for this method but it is my favorite unless I want to try swirls or something then I melt the oils and cool off the lye/water to give myself some playtime

I'd be careful while doing that so no hard oils splash the lye up at you.

Also, saw that in that video she says to make sure you have vinegar on hand just in case you spill lye on you. Once again, I have to say, DO NOT PUT VINEGAR ON A LYE BURN. USE WATER.

Right. Because vinegar burns like hell on a lye burn. But it's also a very low pH and closes down pores quickly. The sudden change in pH is part of the burn. Other then the ouch factor, is there any reason to avoid vinegar to help neutralize a lye burn?

Right. Because vinegar burns like hell on a lye burn. But it's also a very low pH and closes down pores quickly. The sudden change in pH is part of the burn. Other then the ouch factor, is there any reason to avoid vinegar to help neutralize a lye burn?

The sore doesn't heal as fast.

Actually you are supposed to pour your hot oil onto the hard oils to help prevent splashing....

Except we're talking about not heating our oils, just using the hot lye to melt the hard oils :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Genny yup... re-read my post hun.... ;) I'm saying the same thing.

Kansas Farm Girl - when I am referring to lye in this matter I am referring to the lye mixture (Lye/Water or whatever liquid you're using).... I like your idea of putting all the oils together and making a mash of them. Thank you.

I'm sorry for the confusion - I've been reading Kevin Dunn's 'Scientific Soap Making' and he refers to the lye mixture as lye. However I haven't made the full switch and call the dry lye as NaOH or KOH....

Before I learned the lesson about vinegar I ended up with a lye burn on my lip. I poured vinegar on a clean cloth and put it to my lip.... How do you say Holy Batman OWWWWWWW?

Hi I just wanted to clarify that I don't throw my hard oils in I do indeed put then in slowly enough not to splash, maybe I should not have used the word dumped.

I used this method for a batch yesterday, by slowly ;) adding the hot lye to the oils and butters and then gently mashing up the cocoa butter with a slatted spoon and I've got to say I love this method so much that I think I'm going to do all my soaping this way now. The whole process just seemed so much more laid back. Not a thermometer in sight, no heating or cooling equipment needed, just very straight forward pouring and blending :)

Feel free to use all the vinegar you want to clean up your soaping equipment, but use WATER to remove NaOH or KOH from your skin!!!!

Remember how NaOH heats up when you put it in water? Guess what? Lye also generates lots of heat when it reacts with vinegar. If you put vinegar on your skin to neutralize a lye splash, you are adding insult to injury. You will end up with a chemical burn AND a thermal burn.

Just use LOTS of COLD water. Lots. Thoroughly but gently wipe off any soap batter, and rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. You want to make sure you rinse off every bit of the chemical, so rinse far longer than you think is necessary -- the first aid rule-of-thumb is 15 minutes.

If the burn is large (say, more than a square inch or so), or deep (concentrated lye), or anywhere near the eyes or mucous membranes, get thee to an emergency room after first aid treatment is done. --DeeAnna

Back