What do I need to start selling safely 🤷🏼‍♀️

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleywh

Reaction score
Hi all I recently have been looking into making handmade soaps with my daughter to sell online. I heard that I need to have soap warning labels but I can’t seem to find any online that aren’t for wax melts ect instead of soap. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I need to follow any other quidelinrs to sell my products legally? For example is insurance ect compulsory? Thank you in advance! X

Welcome to the forum. You’re putting the cart before the horse. Have you even made soap yet? That’s a good place to start. You may not even like making it. Plus it’s going to take time and money to formulate, make, core and test it.

Selling in the UK requires a safety assessment. I can’t tell you much about that since I am in the US, but you can find out more by searching the forum. I don’t sell, but if I did I would definitely have insurance. Welcome!

I have been selling to family and close friends for over 18 months but wanted to start a page on social media.

Not good. You can ‘gift’ soap to friends and family, but you cannot sell to them without registration, recipe assessment (for each recipe), inspection and insurance.

If you are selling in any way your soap must be assessed by a cosmetic assessor. It is a legal requirement. You should have insurance but it would be invalid if you are breaking the law.

Assessment costs from £100-£500 depending on how many variants you get assessed. The warning labels you mention are for wax products and are in no way suitable for cosmetic products.

Please do more research before selling including the Distance Selling Regs, Food Imitations regs as well as the requirements for Cosmetic Safety assessments.

Last edited:
Take a look at the websites of Cosmetic Safety Assessments and Naturally Balmy and join their Facebook group, all the up to date information and help you need specific to selling in the UK and EU is there and they are friendly and helpful...Good Luck with your new adventure and don't be put off by all the red tape you have to follow!!

I have been selling to family and close friends for over 18 months but wanted to start a page on social media.
I’m sorry but your post said you’re looking to make soap with your daughter and selling. You didn’t say you had already been Making soap. Thank you for the clarification.

Hi Hayley,

Congratulation on your decision to sell soap! I noticed that Lily Jo said something about Cosmetic Safety Assessments. Does that apply to the US as well? Sorry I visit rather infrequently, but when I do, I truly enjoy this forum.

Best,
Dollyk8

Hi Hayley,

Congratulation on your decision to sell soap! I noticed that Lily Jo said something about Cosmetic Safety Assessments. Does that apply to the US as well? Sorry I visit rather infrequently, but when I do, I truly enjoy this forum.

Best,
Dollyk8

No, that does not apply to the US (different country/different laws), but it's very important to still do your own R&D testing to make sure that your soap formulas can stand the test of time without problems developing, among other things, such as what is spelled out in this thread here

Because of the nature of lye-based soap (potential problems usually do not rear their heads until months have gone by), it is recommended to give your formulas a good solid year of testing before stepping out into the market with them.

IrishLass :)

Back