What do I do with it now?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountNView

Reaction score
Last week you folks were kind enough to tell me that the probable cause of liquid and dark color of my goat's milk soap was that it got too hot and somewhat separated. I'm sure that was the cause as this batch was mixed at a higher temporate of 115 and I didn't know I should not wrap in towels when using goat's milk. I'm such a newbie!

My question now is, what can I do to fix this? The soap feels pretty oily. Or...it is what it is....and I will have to enjoy it as it is.

Tell me more...do I add any liquid or do you just let it cook? And for how long? I have not done this before. Will it become a liquid again?

I add about 1 TBSP milk ppo in mine because it helps fluidity with the soap, making it more smooth.
I heat the soap just until it reaches a lumpy mashed potato/oatmeal consistency.
If you don't have an extra crockpot, you can use a double boiler and it takes about 25-30 minutes for it to cook.

It won't become liquidy like regular CP.

Anne-Marie has a video on using a double boiler to do it [ame]http://vimeo.com/9468221[/ame]

...If you don't have an extra crockpot, you can use a double boiler and it takes about 25-30 minutes for it to cook.

It won't become liquidy like regular CP.

Anne-Marie has a video on using a double boiler to do it http://vimeo.com/9468221

People always talk about using an "extra"crock pot for soaping. Especially for rebatching, where it's already soap, why not just use your regular crock pot and just wash it out afterward?

People always talk about using an "extra"crock pot for soaping. Especially for rebatching, where it's already soap, why not just use your regular crock pot and just wash it out afterward?

I use mine for HP as well & sometimes just mix the lye & oils up in the crock pot, so I have extras because of that.

Also, if you're adding your fragrance oil into the soap when it's in the crock pot, you'd want to make sure that you're washing it really good.

The issue is that not all rebatches are lye-free. In fact, a LOT of people rebatch because those soaps are lye heavy. The only items I will use after touching lye is stainless steel and I don't even like doing that. Plus, I like having one crock pot that is designated for soaping so I don't go "Oh, I want to make soap but damnit I have a roast in it :("

My soap that got too hot was made a week ago and is still pretty oily. Do I really have to grate it before putting it in a crockpot? It was a 7 lb batch...which is a lot of hand grating. I don't have a food processor.

My soap that got too hot was made a week ago and is still pretty oily. Do I really have to grate it before putting it in a crockpot? It was a 7 lb batch...which is a lot of hand grating. I don't have a food processor.

If it's only a week old you should be able to just chop it up into small cubes (1 inch or so).

Oh...thank you...that sounds much better. Just so happens I retired my original crockpot this Christmas after 34 years and it still works just fine!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I just finished rebatching soap for the first time. It it not pretty that's for sure but as long as it isn't oily I will be happy. It is mighty dark and won't be gifts that's for sure. Maybe it will look interesting with the little lumpies in it.

Latest posts

Back