What Do Big Bubbles Mean, If Anything?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
A couple of my bar soaps can be used to blow big bubbles. That is, in the shower I can make a "ring" with my hands and blow a 6" bubble that will hang around for several (10-15) seconds before popping. I can't always make it happen; I have to play around with how much water is in the lather and such, and they aren't "strong" enough to form spheres on their own. (That is, I can't blow and have them form bubbles and fly away. I have to close my hands to seal them.) But it's definitely more possible with some soaps than it is with others.

Does this mean anything? Just judging from the recipes I've seen for kids' bubbles, I'm guessing it means there is more glycerine, right? Is this just a curiosity, or could it be an indicator for other desirable/undesirable qualities of soaps?

I don't think anyone has ever asked that before. I do know that if you make homemade bubbles at home, glycerin is key for making "tougher" bubbles with a dishwashing detergent (usual no real soap in it). Without it the bubbles break almost immediately.

Does this mean anything? Just judging from the recipes I've seen for kids' bubbles, I'm guessing it means there is more glycerine, right? Is this just a curiosity, or could it be an indicator for other desirable/undesirable qualities of soaps?

My first thought as I was reading was also about glycerin. The concentration of glycerin in the soap should be pretty directly related to the overall SAP value of the recipe. Higher SAP, more glycerin. However, I haven't ever noticed this effect. Maybe I just haven't tried. Is there anything about the recipes involved that you think might explain it, or something that those bars have in common?

It happens more with my earliest bars than with my more-balanced, later bars. The first few batches (from September timeframe) were 30% Lard, 30% CO, 30% OO, and 5% each castor and avocado.

Back