What Disliking an EO Says About You

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Source: EG Blog by Jenna Jones, Chief Marketing Officer of Edens Garden

What Does it Mean if You Dislike an Essential Oil?

Some people love the scent of Tea Tree EO. I am not one of them. That being said, I can confirm that after my last two batches I am starting to like it more than when I first used it. It's a good thing! :thumbs: :)

ETA: Follow the links in the article to learn more about essential oils.

I don't lose my head with smells I dislike. I keep in mind that EOs are produced by plants to interact with their predators and pollinators. Using them to spice up inedible stuff, to encode memories/emotions, or soothe skin irritations, is already misuse. I have no right to complain about a smell that I'm only using parasitically anyway.

Exciting article, though! A lot of rubbish is circulating about EOs in particular; this article doesn't condemn the anecdotal but stays factual. As factual as one can be, aware that we don't even know how much we don't know about EOs (and our olfactory senses in general).

What a great article! I love how she points out that disliking something can be a sign that your body DOESN'T need it. I'd even go further and state that it could be a sign that this substance is harmful to you, e.g., plants with poisonous berries or leaves that have severely bitter tastes to them.

"You associate it with something negative"
When I was a kid I ate a boatload of marzipan and threw up because of it. Now anything with a heavy almond smell makes me gag instantly.
I had a similar experience, but with gin...I did get over it about 40 years later though 😂

Well. We are certainly learning a lot about some of us....
*clutches pearls

When Mrs. Zing was pregnant, her sense of smell was heightened to a great degree. She would reject lettuce and other produce items because she could smell pesticides on them -- and I smelled nothing. Not sure if it was a real or perceived phenomenon for her -- but I thought it was her mama bear instinct coming out to protect our babies.

I can't access the article, I'll try later. Scent is wound tight with my memory.

*clutches pearls

When Mrs. Zing was pregnant, her sense of smell was heightened to a great degree. She would reject lettuce and other produce items because she could smell pesticides on them -- and I smelled nothing. Not sure if it was a real or perceived phenomenon for her -- but I thought it was her mama bear instinct coming out to protect our babies.
Pregnancy super-smelling is real, I tell ya. A previously innocuous substance to me, the smell of Doritos randomly become violently vomitous as soon as I conceived my DD. It took 20 years after giving birth before I could tolerate even being in the same room with them. Of course, they were her dad's favorite chips. 😆

*clutches pearls

I can't access the article, I'll try later. Scent is wound tight with my memory.
Oh, it was real! We don't all experience the same level of olfactory sensitivity and not to the same odors while pregnant, but it is a very real thing.

Not everyone "smells" the same way. I watch Katie and Keeley sniff bottles and wax poetically about 'notes' and whatnot and I'm sniff a bottle say, "That smells good". LOL

Without question, smells trigger responses. Like how the world can smell after a summer rain...makes me smile. Or how fresh skunk can immediately cause me to bend over a throw up.

I've always strongly disliked the smell of coca cola. The dislike grew to aversion when I was pregnant and washed glasses with remnant coke with hot water.

Source: EG Blog by Jenna Jones, Chief Marketing Officer of Edens Garden

What Does it Mean if You Dislike an Essential Oil?

Some people love the scent of Tea Tree EO. I am not one of them. That being said, I can confirm that after my last two batches I am starting to like it more than when I first used it. It's a good thing! :thumbs: :)

ETA: Follow the links in the article to learn more about essential oils.
I can’t remember in what thread I sent this last year, but my little plaque shows up again! You crack me up @Zany_in_CO !! YOU are the good thing! ❤️😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 19
Back