What did YOU do today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy day here. Currently I am preparing a Windows 10 Installation disc (DVD) for my son because something went haywire with his PC and none of the normal avenues are working for him. It is one of the several things ongoing today, getting ready for the roadtrip to CA, some of which has been packing the trunk full of stuff for him. The trunk is not even full yet, but so far I got a microwave oven, a really sturdy desk (dismantled), a suitcase with kitchen supplies, a dishpan with cleaning supplies and a few miscellaneous items. There's till room for the mops & the colander not yet packed. The bar stool will only fit in the cabin of the car, either in the passenger seat (that's where I put it when I brought it home) or the back seat. Since I will be on the road for 4 days before delivery, I will probably put it in the back seat and keep what I need every night within easy reach.

Also made traveling foods, cut soap, gathered soaps for mailing to other family, started laundry (2 loads is the goal today), picked out 6 clothing items for donation (an ongoing closet reduction project) and put away a few things, oh, and started dinner. But I made a rather bigger mess that I have yet to tidy up before the day is done. And I want to choose a project to bring along this time, something that doesn't require a lot of space in my car.

Typical morning chores, feed cats, Koi Fish, Chickens (and let them out to range).

Packed up the car for a FM, that sucked... see craft fairs and shows section.

Came home, changed, went to Mall with DD to eat a little something.
Forgot that I was meeting my guy for the eggs I sell. Made it to him (we meet somewhere in town) but I don't think he was too happy. **** dude, I sell you Local free range organically raised chicken eggs for $3 !!! shut up and wait a little bit for once . grr

Now I am fiddling on the Puter and will go out and watch some TV and snuggle with old deaf kitty

We be helped prepped the church for this week's Vacation Bible School. Lots of decorating and hanging things on the walls. Trying to remember which tapes we're strong enough to hold things up w/out pulling off the paint, etc.

Got home from 2 day show, did dishes, took daughter school shopping, made dinner, played basketball with hubby. and now chilling with daughter watching Netflix.

I woke up, made a latte via a K-Latte (Keurig haters be warned- I like this Keurig and I find it amazing for ME), trying to figure out if I'm going to make veggie chili or or scallion pancakes, and I'm stalking a truck to for a parking spot.

I used to have a Keurig, loved the Chia Latte yummm. It probably didn't even have any chia or tea in it, but it was good.

I did my free FM, did only $42 in sales but it was rainy :(
Trying to figure out when to go to Costco because of the rain. Wait a bit and see how it is or just go and get it over with. I NEED kitty dry food...

I'm working on rearranging my bedroom. I have almost finished the closet organizer shelf system. I'm also spraypainting some of my shelves. I am so tempted to paint while everything is cleaned off and packed up.

Some shopping with my son. We were going to go down to the next bigger town, too, but he changed his mind since we have to go there on Monday anyway. That's where the HUD office is and the Walmart and most stores for getting varieties of things. But it's hot and the week-end so he decided he didn't want to face the crowds in the heat. Gives me some time to make more soap, which I plan to do shortly. Then I'll watch the Fear the Walking Dead marathon on AMC. I really like staying in places that have AMC just so I can catch up on my Dead shows.

I am having my morning coffee without Sugar. I don't use anything but sugar normally, 1 small scoop. Today I put the slightest pinch of salt ( like 15 grains of salt) in my cup and tasted. MMM good enough to try no sugar. So far so good ........... unless this means I am losing my sense of taste hahahhahahaha

I am having my morning coffee without Sugar. I don't use anything but sugar normally, 1 small scoop. Today I put the slightest pinch of salt ( like 15 grains of salt) in my cup and tasted. MMM good enough to try no sugar. So far so good ........... unless this means I am losing my sense of taste hahahhahahaha

I always put a pinch of coffee into my coffee maker when I make coffee. It helps.

ETA: (oops... not quite awake yet; the coffee hadn't kicked in.... no wonder, huh?) That should read "a pinch of SALT".

Last edited:
LOL that must be some weak coffee hahahahah
I know you meant salt just couldn't resist.

I have found that it works a bit better in the cup then the grinds. But there is a fine line between too much and just right. Not thrilled with salty coffee

:lol:

Today after I unmolded the Salt bars I had a Donut .... and then licked my finger :( Warning, DON'T do that after you play with Salt bars. salty donut is not good and drinking OJ right after desn't help either

Less than I planned. I also forgot today is Friday and thought it was Saturday. Being retired does that to me, at least that's my excuse. So I was lamenting that I missed the Farmer's Market this morning, but I didn't. So that's one good thing so far.

I finally started chopping veggies for soup at 3 pm, probably way too late to get it done in time for dinner. Hubby gets home at 7:30 tonight he said as he was leaving. Maybe he will work late and give the soup a little longer to cook. I usually like to get it started in the morning. Oh well, I can always leave it on low and we can have it tomorrow. But if I keep it simple, maybe it'll be ready on time.

So a few days ago Hubby took me to a new-to-us international grocery store that he discovered quite by accident the day before. I love discovering new grocery stores where I can find unique or otherwise hard to find ingredients, and this was such a place. We now have at least 4 or 5 such spots where we can obtain hard-to-find things (hard to find in this area, anyway). And the good thing is that this store is just around the corner from a Goodwill store, and I always like going thrift store shopping, plus it's in the same state, so not as far to drive for some of these ingredients. The way the shelves are arranged is perfect for each ethnic type of cooking that a person might want to shop for, in that if you want to find the ingredients for a given ethnic-type food, you can find every related item in that one aisle (except for produce or frozen items), including the appropriate spices, dry goods, canned goods, pre-pared packets and even drinks and deserts.

Because one of our new members mentioned Tamarind recently, I decided to try a Tamarind canned drink. Although I have had tamarind before, I had never tasted it in a drink as far as I recall, so thought I'd give it a try. I should have pulled out my reading glasses and read the label first though. What a lot of sugar! And I really hate sugary drinks - well anything sugary for the most part. After one sip, I gave it to my husband. I simply cannot drink anything with 48 grams of sugar in it!

I also saw extremely large bottles of Mustard Oil and although I didn't buy any, I came back to re-read some threads here on SMF about mustard oil in soap making. I was surprised by the size of some of these bottles, since mustard oil is banned as a cooking oil in the US and of course, the bottles do say 'not for consumption' right on them. Well, my guess is that they are being used for more than a massage oil since they are sold in a grocery store, right? And there is not aisle anywhere in this store for personal care items. The only area of the store not devoted to food items (other than the American aisle, which has t.p., plastic baggies, and paper towels) is an area devoted to cookware. Everything else if strictly food. Anyway, next time I go there, I might buy a small bottle of mustard oil and try it in soap just for the fun of it. Some members here reported that they really did like it in soap. And it is in the Soapee lye calculator, so there wouldn't be any guesswork.

I think I know what I'm making for supper! I get so overwhelmed feeding six people (I shouldn't be, I grew up in a household of eleven and I was responsible for having dinner started when my mom came home from work) that a lot of nights I stall until everyone has the hangries.

Got my tent all set up for my weekend show. Also got together a large order to deliver on Monday. Feeling accomplished. Hoping the rain that’s called for this weekend stays away.

1. Met with a banker briefly to get some business done. It's not done, but it's in process.
2. Went to the Farmer's Market in spite of the rainy weather. Luckily it did not rain while I was there, so I managed to get quite a lot of fresh veggies, fruit and a loaf of bread. (It's supposed to rain for 8 days in a row, my husband told me last night.)
3. Ordered full size sheets for my son from Amazon and was surprised to see a guaranteed delivery of one of them for Monday, which is a national holiday, so I wonder if that's really going to happen. Anyway, he needs them & we were never able to find any while I was there, nor at any Thrift stores along my travels. Sheets are harder and harder to find in thrift stores, these days, it seems. I don't know where the sheets he used to have have gone, but he didn't have any sheets on his bed since he moved into his house. Well sheets do wear out and perhaps that's what happened. I didn't ask.

My TO DO list for today is extensive, but my goal is to only do a bit on each item on the list, as some of the projects require many hours and much lifting. As long as I do a bit on each, I will feel that I am making reasonable progress. Considering my back problems this week, I believe this is the wisest way to handle my first day back to doing actual house-hold work (other than cooking.)

Taking oodles of pictures of zillions of rubber stamps to sell on Etsy. Time to move most of my much-loved art and craft supplies along.
Saving and selling in hopes of moving in the not too distant future.
tantrum-smiley.gif

Back