What did YOU do today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is my birthday! I am 65. No idea how I got that old. And what did I do today? Went to work as usual. My colleagues sang Happy Birthday, and one of them brought me something from a bakery.
Happy belated birthday! Sorry I'm a day late. I hope your birthday bakery treat was delicious

Happy Belated Birthday John--I have a couple more to go before I hit that mark and I am already wondering how I got so old so fast :)

Happy belated birthday, John! :)

I've been on a soft, homemade cookie kick lately ever since discovering online how to make soft-batch cookies with the addition of a small box of dry vanilla pudding mix, and so I made a nice batch of soft oatmeal cookies with chocolate and peanut butter chips......and they are wonderful!

IrishLass :)

I started to go to work today, but my vehicle had other ideas. I was just glad that I decided to wear my long winter coat as it was a 45 minute wait for the tow truck.

The news was not good, but not unexpected. I knew I was going to have to replace the engine, but wasn’t planning on having to do it before Christmas.

Hubby is not happy. I’m not either, but I’m not being a baby about it or unreasonable. He’ll cool down in a couple of days and apologize for being a jerk.

In the meantime, the soap business is going to have to be hold as all my extra funds will go to paying a large repair bill.

Driving a 12 y.o. vehicle, you have my sympathy. At least I have heat now.

A 12 yr old car is just a baby, mine is 32 yrs old. No air conditioning ( that's a window), you wind down the handle. The heater doesn't work either, no power steering. The mechanic fixed mine about 2 wks ago, approx., $1500. He said he wouldn't have fixed it if it was in poor condition, but it's not. I still have the original grease underneath the sliding seats, no marks on the roof inside, passenger seats hardly used. I'm not hard on equipment, I keep my things in good condition, I don't let others use anything of mine.

Driving a 12 y.o. vehicle, you have my sympathy. At least I have heat now.

He apologized later; he was frustrated over the bad luck I had been having with vehicles and the dent this will make in our savings. He said he would be happier if I spent the money on a new vehicle because he’s worried about something else going wrong and costing us a bunch more money.

So I checked the dealership for used vehicles and found a few with my budget (I haven’t add a car payment in over twenty years). I showed them to hubby and he said he was thinking about a NEW vehicle and a much lower down payment. Poor dear, it’s obvious he hasn’t looked at the price of NEW vehicle in many, many years. There wasn’t a lot of vehicles for less than $20k and my budget is $18k max because I don’t want more than a four year loan.

Normally, I'm at the market on Sundays but my season is over for this year so today was a kitchen kind of day. It's snowing out so it's a good day to stay inside and put together some freezer meals. I made three - Cabbage Roll Casserole (or Lazy Man's Cabbage Rolls), Broccoli Surprise (the surprise is that it tastes great!), and Potato Kale Mash with smoked farmer sausage. Now, we just have to decide which to have for dinner tonight. We're leaning towards the Potato Kale Mash (Boerenkool for those of you who understand Dutch).

Attachments

• 20191201_134655.jpg
    20191201_134655.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191201_141654.jpg
    20191201_141654.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 6
A 12 yr old car is just a baby, mine is 32 yrs old. No air conditioning ( that's a window), you wind down the handle. The heater doesn't work either, no power steering. The mechanic fixed mine about 2 wks ago, approx., $1500. He said he wouldn't have fixed it if it was in poor condition, but it's not. I still have the original grease underneath the sliding seats, no marks on the roof inside, passenger seats hardly used. I'm not hard on equipment, I keep my things in good condition, I don't let others use anything of mine.
That's amazing...what make/model?
I have a 15 y o Honda Civic that my mom bought new and kept in great condition before shipping it 3000 km to me. It spent its formative years where they use sand on the roads in winter, not salt, so the body's in great shape. I'm trying to keep it from rusting out here, but cars don't tend to last that long.
(Mine does have working HVAC, but yes, roll-down windows and just the basics)

I'm out of bed and already have coffee with a CAT on my lap :)
I think it was the Cat that woke me up... like today at 3 again.
They must like to get into things as they get super old ;)

Apart from unmolding my salt soap, I've done nothing soapy today. However, I did bake sourdough bread (2 loaves), made a batch of chocolate syrup (by special request), a double batch of my Seasoning Salt for Chicken, and two batches of cookies (Jan Hagel, a Dutch cookie, and chocolate chip).

I mixed up and made a hair conditioning bar. DD used it yesterday, wet, and found it to work as expected. I am working on a mix that will work on all hair types, with no weighing down due to the oils in the bar. I will try it out today.

It is now noon and I have been awake since 6 pm yesterday. You know, because college.

Today I have studied Thomas Aquina and St. Agustine for 4 hours for my Philosophy final, spent 2 hours procrastinating from studying (oops), then ran errands after the sun came up.

Errands consisted of going to my mom's house to get my boyfriend's Christmas gift (which I had mailed there to hide from him) and wrap it. After that I ran to walmart and the post office and I finally got my lovely new soap cutter.

I've been itching to soap all week and now I can finally make this pink peach soap I've been looking forward to... after Thursday once my Final Exams are over that is. Wish me luck. I can't wait to get them over with.

Apart from unmolding my salt soap, I've done nothing soapy today. However, I did bake sourdough bread (2 loaves), made a batch of chocolate syrup (by special request), a double batch of my Seasoning Salt for Chicken, and two batches of cookies (Jan Hagel, a Dutch cookie, and chocolate chip).

Mmm sounds like a very yummy, very busy day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today i offended someone on reddit because this person in post number 1 about her first batch says her and her friends are selling things and figured that soap would be one of the things they're offering (made this decision WITHOUT ever had made soap b4) after reading this first post describing everything they messed up i suggested that they make soap for a while b4 actually trying to sell. This is to get them familiar with the process and to possibly build up a stock, i ask everyone here was i wrong?

Latest posts

Back