What did I put in my soap? It looks like brick ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elena 64

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for my English;

My recipe (cold process)

289g Olive oil
281g Lard
129g Coconut oil
50g Linseed oil
38g Castor oil
23g Shea butter
25g Green clay
35g Something (FO, maybe?)
108g NaOH
218g Water
Lye conc.: 33%
SF 8%

Yesterday afternoon I made a batch of soap and used a "product" to perfume it for the first time. I say "product" because I knew it wasn't EO (too expensive here) and I figured it was FO.
I prepared my oils while the lye solution cooled and started to work when everything was around 107 degrees F and brought the batter to a light trace.
At this moment I added the clay that was mixed with the "product" (FO, maybe?) And everything hardened immediately, it looked like a block of lard! Shock!
Not sure what to do, I put the batter in the mold and tried to squeeze it as best as I could while thinking about what happened and then the whole thing started to heat up, which made the molding easier but didn't give me a nice soap.
Today I decided to rebatch, adding some milk so that I could better disperse the clay that hardened in a corner of the batter and I think everything is fine now, wow! I can say that it is less ugly. lol.
I don't know what was in the scent, but I won't use it again even though it smells divine.
Thoughts???

[QUOTE = "Obsidian, post: 816617, membro: 10447"] O FO provavelmente não foi feito para sabão e isso causou a apreensão de massa. [/ CITAÇÕES]
Eu também penso assim, embora o site ou anuncie como sugestão para uso na fabricação de cosméticos e sabão!
@ Obsidian, se essa mistura contiver álcool, poderia ser uma causa? Eu achei um pouco oleoso.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Obsidian, post: 816617, membro: 10447"] O FO provavelmente não foi feito para sabão e isso causou a apreensão da massa. [/ QUOTE]
Eu também penso assim, embora o site o anuncie como sugestão para uso na fabricação de cosméticos e sabão!
@ Obsidian, se essa mistura contiver álcool, poderia ser a causa? Eu achei um pouco oleoso.

Sorry... Google translation...
I think so too, although the site or advertises as a suggestion for use in cosmetics and soap!
@ Obsidian, if this mixture contains alcohol, could it be a cause? I thought it was not too oily.

Yes, alcohol will cause this but FO isn't very oily.

What country are you in? Maybe a member here can help you find a company with good FO.

Some FO is only good for melt and pour soap, it will seize in lye soap. Make sure fragrance says safe for CP or lye soap.

Grateful for the clarification and offer.
I live in Brazil, third world.
As far as you know, there are few soap makers around here and the only one that helps when you can be Mr. Roberto Akira, japudo.com, and he uses only EO. The rest sell their courses / products.
All I learned was to surf the web and confirm with SMF.

Sorry for the delay in responding; I need to translate everything ...

Thank you, @moodymama; really buy out of the country, only if it is free shipping, otherwise it will be very expensive, because we still have to pay an import fee in addition to a wait of more than 40 working days. You would end up paying 3 for 1 in total.
I found some EO locally and continue to research, there are many counterfeit products around here, so I'm going very slowly with this; personally, I don't care about scents, but my sisters do.

Latest posts

Back