what consistency should a lotion bar be?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npsmama

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new!

I made some for the first time using 1/4c olive oil, 1/4c shea, 1/4c cocoa butter, 4T coconut oil and 1/2c grated beeswax. I had to add about 2T of beeswax as it was so soft it wasn't solid at all.
It's now just hard enough to cut in shapes (which is what I have done) but as soon as I touch the shapes they disintegrate.

Should they be softer/harder?

Thank you :D

I do not make them yet, but I would think melting on contact consistancy would be okay for a roll/push up tube. Perhaps a bit harder if it gets hot where you live in the summer. You would not want it to melt in a purse or something like that.

I would think definately harder if they are to be handled first such as in cut shapes.

My understanding is that you can always remelt them and add beeswax or other hardener.

I am sure one of the experienced bar makers will be by soon to give you a better answer. :D

Digit

I put mine in a deoderant tube so that I don't have to pick it up. I have also seen them in the flat tins. They are made a bit smaller than the tin and kinda flip out of it into your hands.

Blessings

I make mine firm enough that they do not melt and prefer them in a push up stick. Easier and cleaner.

Back