What can I do with these ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allinalather

Reaction score
I am itching to make my first bath belts, but when I look up recipes, I seem to be one ingredient short. As I have not made them before, I am a bit wary of just switching ingredients because I don't know what may happen! Can you suggest some recipes for the following ingredient please?

Butters: Cocoa deodorised, Avocado, Shea unrefined, Mango, Apricot,
Oils: Sweet Almond, Olive Oil (in the kitchen), Palm
Polysorbate 80, glitters, petals and fragrances, Soda Bicarb and Citric Acid. And Epsom Salts.

I got some sweet little rose moulds that hold 10ml each, they arrived today and I just can't wait to fill them.

Can you help?

I'm assuming you mean bath melts and not bath belts? ;)

I have a couple of recipes that I've made off and on for over 10 years. If I'm not mistaken, both recipes came from Voyageur Soap and Candle shortly after they opened. I'll have to make some again. It's been a long time! I loved both, by the way.

========================

Mango Meltdown Bath Melties

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups Sodium Bicarb
1 cup Citric Acid

Oils:
50 gm shea butter
25 gm mango butter
5 gm apricot kernel oil
3 gm wheat germ oil
12 gm polysorbate 20 (or 80)
4 gm fragrance as desired (not more)

Blend dry ingredients in a bowl. In a microwave safe measuring cup, add oils except fragrance. Microwave on high until the oils melt. Mix well. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add fragrance. Press into molds. Place in freezer for about 15 minutes to facilitate unmolding. Unmold and let dry for about 24 hours.

(You can use any liquid oils you'd like as a sub for the apricot kernel oil and wheat germ oil.)

==========================

Cocoa Butter Bath Candies

Dry Ingredients:
275 gm baking soda
225 gm citric acid
40 gm cornstarch
20 gm whole milk powder

Wet Ingredients:
80 gm cocoa butter
20 gm oil of your choosing
10 gm polysorbate 20 (or 80)
7 gm fragrance oil

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Melt cocoa butter in the microwave. Add oil, polysorbate 20 (or 80) and fragrance to cocoa butter. Combine oil mixture with dry ingredients and stir until completely mixed. Spoon 1 tsp to 1 tbsp into candy molds. Put in the freezer for about 15 minutes. After freezing, pop out of molds onto wire cake rac to dry. Let dry overnight in a dry place.

Wrap in foil candy wrappers for an elegant touch.

If you are making bath melts for yourself enjoy them. If you are making to sell or giveaway please put a warning on the label for slippage. They will usually be quite oily in the tub. Sorry I am not a fan of oil when bathing. I prefer to use a balm or lotion after showering. Drains also do not appreciate all the oil. The polysorbate will definetly help but you still have oil running down the drains. Of course your plummer may love you...:):razz: I would not use glitters they like to stick in places you may not appreciate glitter. But then I do not like glitter and neither do my customers, they will always pass up the soap with glitter, so I quit using it.

Yes, melts not belts (it was New Years Eve):)
Thank you misschief, I can get baby formula from the corner shop, those look interesting to try.

cmzaha, yes, I know to put a warning about a slippy tub. These will be given away, I am too inexperienced to sell as yet. Thanks for the info on glitter, I had not thought about that. I have used it in soap and have not had a problem with finding it on my hands but I used very little and the effect was very subtle.

I have found another recipe I can manage:

4oz mango butter
2 oz coconut oil
2 oz shea butter
1 oz baking soda
1 oz sea salt
3-5 drops EO or FO

I will give them all a go over the coming few days.

Happy New Year

Latest posts

Back