What can be shea butter substitute in this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik09

Reaction score
I made this batch recently but it traced quite quick.I need a slow trace recipe. I think it is because of shea butter . Can anyone help as to the reason and any changes that i can make. Can temperature of soaping be the reason as well ? I soaped at 100°F oils.. Recipe is as follows:
OO 45%
CO 22%
Shea butter 20%
Sweet almond oil 8%
Castor oil 5%
Superfat @5% and 33% lye concentration
Please help. I need to start my business

Of course you can replace the Shea butter with something else. Just make sure you use a lye calculator when you make the substitution, because the amounts of lye will change with different oils.

Do you have access to Cocoa Butter? You could use 12% Shea and 8% Cocoa Butter and still get a hard-ish bar with a little more longevity. Are you sure your olive oil wasn't pomace olive oil? Pomace speeds trace quite a bit for me, so I don't even use a stick blender when I use it at 50% of the oils in a recipe.

Heat does matter of course, but at 100°F doesn't seem too warm for your recipe. Maybe you used the stick blender too much. If your OO is regular (EVOO or light OO or whatever else you have available in India) and NOT pomace OO, then I would use the stick blender very minimally. Short bursts, for only 3-5 seconds, followed by hand stirring, then once you get it to emulsion (no oil floating on top of the mixture), avoid stick blending altogether.

Once you get the hang of minimal use of the SB, then you can stat to consider swirls and whatnot.

It is TOO SOON to start your business, if your business plan is to sell soap. You need to learn to make a consistant product first AND you need to KNOW how your soap performs over the course of a year, and that it will be safe to use and will not go rancid over time. So keep making soap and watching and evaluating it for a year, then re-visit the idea of starting a business.

One other question: Did you use any fragrance in that batch? Some fragrances also contribute to speeding up trace, so that is an important component to your formula. If you did use one, please indicate which one and the manufacturer. A good source for Soapmaking Fragrances lists information about how each fragrance performs in soap (acceleration, ricing, discoloration, well-behaved, etc.), so always look that up for each fragrance you purchase.

Of course you can replace the Shea butter with something else. Just make sure you use a lye calculator when you make the substitution, because the amounts of lye will change with different oils.

Do you have access to Cocoa Butter? You could use 12% Shea and 8% Cocoa Butter and still get a hard-ish bar with a little more longevity. Are you sure your olive oil wasn't pomace olive oil? Pomace speeds trace quite a bit for me, so I don't even use a stick blender when I use it at 50% of the oils in a recipe.

Heat does matter of course, but at 100°F doesn't seem too warm for your recipe. Maybe you used the stick blender too much. If your OO is regular (EVOO or light OO or whatever else you have available in India) and NOT pomace OO, then I would use the stick blender very minimally. Short bursts, for only 3-5 seconds, followed by hand stirring, then once you get it to emulsion (no oil floating on top of the mixture), avoid stick blending altogether.

Once you get the hang of minimal use of the SB, then you can stat to consider swirls and whatnot.

It is TOO SOON to start your business, if your business plan is to sell soap. You need to learn to make a consistant product first AND you need to KNOW how your soap performs over the course of a year, and that it will be safe to use and will not go rancid over time. So keep making soap and watching and evaluating it for a year, then re-visit the idea of starting a business.

One other question: Did you use any fragrance in that batch? Some fragrances also contribute to speeding up trace, so that is an important component to your formula. If you did use one, please indicate which one and the manufacturer. A good source for Soapmaking Fragrances lists information about how each fragrance performs in soap (acceleration, ricing, discoloration, well-behaved, etc.), so always look that up for each fragrance you purchase.
Thank you for your help. Yes I did use fragrance. Rosemary. But before adding it my recipe traced. Yes i did SB quite much but jist after adding lye my mixture became quite thick. Is this recipe ok to move forward with.should I increase the temperature of lye and keep oils at 100 . Would this help

I use both Shea and Cocoa Butters at 10% each and have no issues with my batter thickening too fast...unless I use my Stick Blender too much. Unless I'm making a single color soap, I only blend to emulsion in quick bursts and then stir from there. I've made a 14 lb batch that I split among nine molds and split again for various colors and it didn't start to thicken until the end. I have a similar recipe...though more Hard Oils than yours and similar temp. Try using your stick blender less and see how it goes.

Also, you have no business starting a business until you know what you are doing. No only do you need to know your recipe inside and out, you also need to know how your soap cures out to a minimum of six months.

I use both Shea and Cocoa Butters at 10% each and have no issues with my batter thickening too fast...unless I use my Stick Blender too much. Unless I'm making a single color soap, I only blend to emulsion in quick bursts and then stir from there. I've made a 14 lb batch that I split among nine molds and split again for various colors and it didn't start to thicken until the end. I have a similar recipe...though more Hard Oils than yours and similar temp. Try using your stick blender less and see how it goes.

Also, you have no business starting a business until you know what you are doing. No only do you need to know your recipe inside and out, you also need to know how your soap cures out to a minimum of six months.
Ok.. thank you .. will try tweaking my recipe a bit and less of SB . Will surely tell how it goes.

Ok.. thank you .. will try tweaking my recipe a bit and less of SB . Will surely tell how it goes.

Before tweaking, start with less Stick Blending. Also, what is the temperature of your Lye Solution. As a new soap maker, until you get to know your recipe, it's best if your Oil and Lye Solution is around the same temperature...100F-110F.

Lisa at "I Dream of Soap" on You Tube has an excellent video on Emulsion.

Before tweaking, start with less Stick Blending. Also, what is the temperature of your Lye Solution. As a new soap maker, until you get to know your recipe, it's best if your Oil and Lye Solution is around the same temperature...100F-110F.

Lisa at "I Dream of Soap" on You Tube has an excellent video on Emulsion.
Yes my lye solution and oils were within 10degree of each other. Around 100°f

Latest posts

Back