What best tools to buy for making soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharee

Reaction score
Im new and im wanting to make some mp. Id like to know whats best for example in putting the wax in. I see some of glass where others have plastic. I also see different tools for cutting the soap. Can i get advice on what is best to purchase. Maybe what tools to use. I want to make lengthwise bars too! If i need to go to michaels today or is it cheaper for amazon.. any advice is awesome. Thank you everyone!

For MP all you need is a good pot (s) to melt or container that can go in the microwave, something to pour with, molds, spoons, a good scale, molds, and a kitchen scraper or good knife to cut and alcohol to spray out the bubbles and to help adhere layers, spatulas. Then of course FO's, Colorants and a good MP base (not from Michaels).

I would totally want to melt it in a pot! Its more natural i think.. I always see everyone doing it in a microwave for 30 seconds. As going over I read it could sweat. Is it because a pot would more chance of overheating?

I would totally want to melt it in a pot! Its more natural i think.. I always see everyone doing it in a microwave for 30 seconds. As going over I read it could sweat. Is it because a pot would more chance of overheating?

No, people use a microwave because a microwave is faster.
If a M&P is going to sweat, the way it's melted isn't going to matter much. It'll sweat regardless. That's why most people wrap them as soon as they are unmolded.

Melt and pour will sweat after it is unmolded--m&p just gathers moisture from the air if left uncovered so wrap in saran wrap or shrink wrap asap. For melting I used a double boiler rather than the pan directly on the heat ..The plastic molds from Milky Way molds are great for melt and pour--might as well take advantage of all the cute molds..I believe WSP carries them now. Melt and pour isnt any where near the same as cold process soap..it is a premade soap that you melt, scent, color and pour in molds but you are not really making the soap yourself.

Ditto what jcandleattic said.....it doesn't matter how you heat MP- it will sweat regardless if there's any moisture in the air.

I don't have a microwave, so I use a pot directly on the stove to melt MP. It works perfectly fine. As with all things I cook on the stove, I just simply keep an eye on the heat to make sure it doesn't get overly hot.

IrishLass :)

Invest in a couple of funnel pitchers, a couple of stainless steel bowls of different sizes, and at least one 2lb loaf mold. The funnel pitchers are great for microwave melting and pouring. When doing a larger batch use the stainless over a pot of simmering water to melt the base. (this can be divided into funnel pichers) I have small glass mise en place bowls I use to mix the micas with alcohol for color, silicone spatulas. a scale, a silpat mat to cut up the base, and an infrared thermometer gun for checking temperatures.

The MP from Michael's is great for embeds. It has a higher melting point than quality bases so embeds are less likely to melt. I never use it for projects just embeds. Buy it with a coupon don't ever pay full price for that stuff.

To reduce sweat wrap your projects right away and store in a box away from light and heat. I use shrink wrap for the good ones and plastic wrap for the rejects the family uses.

Last edited:
Melt and pour will sweat after it is unmolded--m&p just gathers moisture from the air if left uncovered so wrap in saran wrap or shrink wrap asap. For melting I used a double boiler rather than the pan directly on the heat ..The plastic molds from Milky Way molds are great for melt and pour--might as well take advantage of all the cute molds..I believe WSP carries them now. Melt and pour isnt any where near the same as cold process soap..it is a premade soap that you melt, scent, color and pour in molds but you are not really making the soap yourself.
From what I see you can add natural colouring and at least a teaspoon of fragrance oil is to it.. I see a lot of beautiful mp designs on YouTube lately! ☺️

I have never successfully melted m&p in plastic pitchers, they always melt a hole. I prefer to use pyrex glass measuring cups for melting in the microwave. If not using the microwave, you can disregard my cautionary tale.

Invest in a couple of funnel pitchers, a couple of stainless steel bowls of different sizes, and at least one 2bl loaf mold. The funnel molds are great for microwave melting and pouring. When doing a larger batch use the stainless over a pot of simmering water to melt the base. (this can be divided into funnel pichers) I have small glass mise en place bowls I use to mix the micas with alcohol for color, silicone spatulas. a scale, a silpat mat to cut up the base, and an infrared thermometer gun for checking temperatures.

The MP from Michael's is great for embeds. It has a higher melting point than quality bases so embeds are less likely to melt. I never use it for projects just embeds. Buy it with a coupon don't ever pay full price for that stuff.

To reduce sweat wrap your projects right away and store in a box away from light and heat. I use shrink wrap for the good ones and plastic wrap for the rejects the family uses.
Thank you so much I was wondering about that funnel loaf so that’s what it’s called and yes I was looking for a place for inbeds as I want to make cupcakes and I want to make sure that I have the best moulds for the prettiest little designs!

I have never successfully melted m&p in plastic pitchers, they always melt a hole. I prefer to use pyrex glass measuring cups for melting in the microwave. If not using the microwave, you can disregard my cautionary tale.
Lol your funny thanx for the advice☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much I was wondering about that funnel loaf so that’s what it’s called and yes I was looking for a place for inbeds as I want to make cupcakes and I want to make sure that I have the best moulds for the prettiest little designs!

The thermometer is the most important tool. You need different temps for different things you want to do and MP can burn if overheated.

Those of you who melt M&P in a pot....is it directly in the pot or in a pyrex in water in a double boiler situation? I don't have a microwave in my soaping area, but will trudge up the stairs to the kitchen to melt in the microwave up there because anything else just takes too long ;-)

Those of you who melt M&P in a pot....is it directly in the pot or in a pyrex in water in a double boiler situation? I don't have a microwave in my soaping area, but will trudge up the stairs to the kitchen to melt in the microwave up there because anything else just takes too long ;-)

I usually use a stainless bowl over a pot of simmering water. It takes longer but for large amounts of base it is more reliable and easier to make sure it doesn't overheat. If you want to avoid up and down the stairs get one of those single burner units. I have a summer kitchen in the basement (do a lot of canning) so having a stove down there helps.

Oh I have a full stove & oven (and fridge and dishwasher---way better use of space for a soap/summer kitchen than for tenants :) ). The tenants killed the microwave though, and I really can't justify buying a new one just for M&P and warming up oils. Not when there's a perfectly good one 30 feet away :)
But I am interested in heating and holding M&P, as you would definitely have more control...but it might be slooowwww

It is a little slower but great for adding butters. I am in no hurry I am old and move slower anyway
What should the temperature be at if you were going to do it in a double broiler. And where would I buy a good Thermometer

I have no idea about temps, but thermometers are available at soap suppliers.

One little hint my daughter did with her m&p which she around a ton, literally, of each year. She would put her soaps, after demolding, on large baker's shelves and put a fan on they to dry for at least a week, then wrapped them in saran. It really cut down on sweating.

Latest posts

Back