What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I finally got to restocking our solid shampoo and conditioner bars, both based on recipes from DIY B&B. I don't think I've ever made them the same twice, but I've loved them all. This batch is scented with Mysore Sandalwood from OT.

I also whipped up a small batch of lotion for a friend who cuts my hair. I do pay her, but since she does this as a favor to me, during time off from her FT day job, I like to sweeten the deal. This batch is scented with a mix of CC's Goat Milk & Honey, and Honey & Shea. Both of them behave terribly in CP soap, so they are relegated to lotions, bath bombs, etc.

Shampoo bars.jpg

Batch 4, @TheGecko? Wow, busy day! Expecting photos….. 😉
🌸😍🌸
It was a bit of soap since I hadn't made any soap in quite a few months. Hubby was out of soap, BIL was out of soap so I made them each a 5lb batch of their favorite. And since hubby wants more bubbles, I experimented with some Sorbitol which is supposed act like sugar/honey, but without the problems.

I also made two small 20oz batches for my cousin who did me a major solid; it's the first two of ten that I will be making from them. I sent them to BB and NS to pick out some scents and they must have spent hours since they sent me this huge list. LOL Five that were on their list I have in stock, so I had them pick out five more and ordered them. Two that I made yesterday was Coastal Rain and Jungle Waterfall from BB. They did not accelerate or rice...I don't know about discoloration until I go back into the garage. I hope they don't since I colored them with Caribbean Kiss from RS (discontinued) and Savage Garden from NS.

This morning I used one of my newly-made solid conditioner bars. By way of background, the recipe calls for dimethicone, which I don’t have. Per the recipe instructions, in the past, I have always subbed in glycerin, and I have loved the bars made that way.

However, last night I had a thought that cyclomethicone might just work instead of dimethicone, and I do have plenty of that on hand. After reading up on the two, and how they sometimes are interchanged, I decided to try it.

Oh my … the extra glide from the cyclomethicone is amazing! I’ll definitely be keeping this as part of my base recipe from now on.

Two that I made yesterday was Coastal Rain and Jungle Waterfall from BB. They did not accelerate or rice...I don't know about discoloration until I go back into the garage. I hope they don't since I colored them with Caribbean Kiss from RS (discontinued) and Savage Garden from NS.
Coastal Rain discolored for me - still came out nice, but not what I planned. Hoping it plays nice for you 🌸

Made three more batches of soap yesterday...Spiced Mahogany, Bali Breeze and Ocean Shores. I really like the Bali Breeze...it has a very unique scent. The Spiced Mahogany accelerated, but I was able to get it in the mold.

Today's bath & body thing was taking another lotion order - this stuff is pretty popular. I had given a sample to a friend, which she shared with a sister and cousin. They loved it so much that she wants to buy some for them. She will be stopping by next week to pick out the scents she wants for them. :)

My other B&B thing was to wrap and label the big batch of syndet shampoo bars and solid conditioner bars that I made about two weeks ago, I think? They smell great and are pretty popular with friends and family. Big batches are the way to go since I hate having to wear the dust mask during mixing (because, SCI and SLSa). Hopefully this one will last awhile!

Last edited:
Made a 100g lotion based on Marie Rayma's moisturizing repair cream formulation. Subbed the emulsifier for glycerol monostearate (GMS) because I have it, also subbed the shea for mango butter, the dimethicone for fractionated coconut oil, and her sepimax for regular xanthan gum. It turned out okay and use it for my very dry my legs.

I also tried making a sugar scrub which I forgot to whip! And so I think the sea buckthorn fruit oil is separating from the rest of the product. I'm not sure if it's the sea buckthorn fruit oil that's separating or it's the Mango Maui fragrance oil, or it's the sugar that's melting because of the hot weather... Anyway, I was too excited to package it that I forgot to whip it. Haha. I will make another batch -- whipped this time.

Photos - lotion is the white product and sugar scrub is the orange one.

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

Made my first batch of liquid soap! 100% tallow. First time using KOH. Will sequester it in my cooler untill tomorrow. I’ve seen some people sequester their soap paste, and some don’t. For my first go at it, decided to sequester for no other reason than I want to see what the paste loons like cooled after 24 hours.
39A9F4B1-BCE8-4CF4-81C1-2B32D2CB0378.jpeg

Tested the paste. Look at them bubbles!!
9F74CD0B-DEDE-439F-B82D-66EB7FB6B2A5.jpeg

I made a batch of lotion bars all before 7:00 a.m.! I am most definitely NOT a morning person so this was an accomplishment. We leave soon for a vacation with a group of good good friends and I want to take a few gifts with me. I hate the hectic days leading to vacation so I'm trying to focus on the fact that I soon will be sitting on a porch on a house on an island in Maine. :)

I’ve seen some people sequester their soap paste, and some don’t.
Actually, it's recommended to sequester the diluted soap for 2 weeks to allow time for any issues to show up which can then be addressed.

It is also recommended to allow the paste to rest for 24-48 hours before dilution to make sure it is ready to dilute, i.e., fully saponified. Performing the soap-in-water clarity test or testing with phenolphthalein drops can tell you if it's ready or not.

For a good explanation of how to test, read #12 and #13:

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/07/basic-beginner-liquid-soap-and.html
NOTE: Tallow LS is opaque but clears after about 6 months or so. YMMV

Actually, it's recommended to sequester the diluted soap for 2 weeks to allow time for any issues to show up which can then be addressed.

It is also recommended to allow the paste to rest for 24-48 hours before dilution to make sure it is ready to dilute, i.e., fully saponified. Performing the soap-in-water clarity test or testing with phenolphthalein drops can tell you if it's ready or not.

For a good explanation of how to test, read #12 and #13:

http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/07/basic-beginner-liquid-soap-and.html
NOTE: Tallow LS is opaque but clears after about 6 months or so. YMMV
I’m not concerned about the 100% tallow LS being opaque.

Ah, so sequestering is for the dilution. Not the paste. Got it.

Not today but I've been prepping for upcoming markets and a visit with some of my favourite people (grandkids).

Oil Free Moisturizer - a market fave and my daughter's fave; she says it makes a great primer in addition to being oil free. It's based on a Humblee & Me recipe and is one of my faves as well. Cute story - earlier today, I received a phone call from an elderly lady who had been given the Oil Free Moisturizer as part of a Christmas present from her nephew and his wife. She wanted to order more, as well as a bottle Hyaluronic Acid Serum (DIY Bath & Body recipe). (I'm in BC, she's in Newfoundland) We chatted for a bit and before she hung up, she asked me to say hello to her nephew... who happens to be my boss.

20230620_133849_HDR.jpg

Shark Sauce, from Holy Snails. My granddaughter swears by this one. She's fighting some cystic acne and she says it definitely helps her skin. She's all out so.... grandma to the rescue.

20230620_134144_HDR.jpg

Hand & Body lotion for my three granddaughters. The base recipe is from DIY Bath & Body's Lotion Concentrate recipe and the final lotion was inspired by one of the ladies on the DIY FB group. It has a TON of bio glitter in it and has a very fruity/floral fragrance. The lip gloss was made for my granddaughters and the market. This particular lip gloss tube sells out every time I have it on the table. It isn't quite as red as it is in the picture.

20230620_134402_HDR.jpg

And finally, the Vitamin C & Ferulic Acid Serum from Holy Snails. My daughter specifically asked for this serum. I gave her another Vitamin C serum but she likes this one better.

20230620_134254_HDR.jpg

I have one more special young lady to consider but I have absolutely no idea what she might like (my great granddaughter's mother, my grandson's partner).

@Misschief #goals

Very motivating post! I bet your grandkids think you’re a pretty resourceful woman. Rawr!!
lol.. it's gotten to the point where they're disappointed if I don't come bearing gifts like these!

That said, though, the body lotion came about because of my 9 y.o. step daughter. She needs something to help her feel special, and who doesn't love glitter; she's a sweet kid with a very high demand ADHD brother, and parents (her birth parents) who pay more attention to him than to her. My daughter has been trying to encourage Rachael to be more "girly" (she has two half brothers, one brother, and a mom who has no time for her at her mom's home) and has been helping her with hygiene and girl things, like hair care and age appropriate skin care and makeup.

The other products are things that my daughter and granddaughter have tried in the past and love. I've been making stuff like this for 20 years and my daughter has been my biggest supporter. There are a few more requests I still need to fill before we head over there next month.

Not today but I've been prepping for upcoming markets and a visit with some of my favourite people (grandkids).

Oil Free Moisturizer - a market fave and my daughter's fave; she says it makes a great primer in addition to being oil free. It's based on a Humblee & Me recipe and is one of my faves as well. Cute story - earlier today, I received a phone call from an elderly lady who had been given the Oil Free Moisturizer as part of a Christmas present from her nephew and his wife. She wanted to order more, as well as a bottle Hyaluronic Acid Serum (DIY Bath & Body recipe). (I'm in BC, she's in Newfoundland) We chatted for a bit and before she hung up, she asked me to say hello to her nephew... who happens to be my boss.

View attachment 73106

Shark Sauce, from Holy Snails. My granddaughter swears by this one. She's fighting some cystic acne and she says it definitely helps her skin. She's all out so.... grandma to the rescue.

View attachment 73107

Hand & Body lotion for my three granddaughters. The base recipe is from DIY Bath & Body's Lotion Concentrate recipe and the final lotion was inspired by one of the ladies on the DIY FB group. It has a TON of bio glitter in it and has a very fruity/floral fragrance. The lip gloss was made for my granddaughters and the market. This particular lip gloss tube sells out every time I have it on the table. It isn't quite as red as it is in the picture.

View attachment 73109

And finally, the Vitamin C & Ferulic Acid Serum from Holy Snails. My daughter specifically asked for this serum. I gave her another Vitamin C serum but she likes this one better.

View attachment 73108

I have one more special young lady to consider but I have absolutely no idea what she might like (my great granddaughter's mother, my grandson's partner).
You get Grandma of the Year award!
My sis-in-law lives in Newfoundland, took us awhile to pronounce it correctly.

LOL... yes, every time I hear anyone from there say it, I chuckle inside. They definitely have an accent.
I don't have an accent -- you have an accent! LOL. At my last workplace, my coworkers were always asking "Hey, 'Zing', say 'load your BAGS in your WAGON.'" This from Chicagoans who regularly said "Over by here," "Da Bearsss" and stretched their mouths as wide as possible for every single vowel....

Earlier this week, I discovered a tub of the DIY Meltaway Cleansing Balm in my soap room. This stuff is the best! Included in the recipe is a series of 4 Instant Facial recipes. I figured it was time to use up some of the balm (which I'd completely forgotten about) so I made a 200 gram batch of a Rose Pink Clay Instant Facial. I'll pass them on to my daughters when we head to the coast in a couple of weeks.

This stuff is seriously awesome. The balm starts out as just that, a balm. When you add a bit of water to it, it turns into a cleansing lotion. The facials are great, too. Very gently exfoliating and there are recipes for different skin types. This one is great for all skin types. I think I might make the one for breakout prone skin as well.... for my granddaughters.

Instant Facial_Rose Clay.png

Back