What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 batches of @Zing world famous lotion bars completed tonight after work. Since I only get 47 hours of weekend instead of 48, I figured I had better take advantage of Friday night. I used equal parts Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Beeswax, Mango Butter. Batch 1 is vanilla shaped like hearts; batch 2 is oatmeal milk and honey in the BB bee mold; and batch 3 is plumeria in a round mold. First time using plumeria and it does indeed smell fantastic/intoxicating! 🌸

Eta - 47 hours because of daylight savings time 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
One of my deliveries over the past couple of weeks included a couple of extracts (New Directions), including Bakuchiol. This afternoon, I decided to make myself some more of the B3/B5 Hyaluronic Acid Serum from DIY Bath & Body. This time, I added Bakuchiol, Licorice, and Bamboo extracts. It's an easy recipe and very effective.

In light of my recent discovery of the Florida law change regarding selling lotions and moisturizers, I am going through the testing stage of various items that I can now sell.

So tonight I made a whipped body butter. I made too much for a test batch on purpose (because I have made it before and love my recipe thanks to a lovely lady here who sent me her recipe a while back)...my testing with this batch is how it holds up to shipping and/or being out at a market/vendor event in my climate.

I had off from work today so I spent most of my time researching how body butters hold up with shipping. I came up with various results, but I am starting at ground zero on this. I am going to ship it with my current recipe...freeze one, refrigerate one, and the last one is my control being shipped as-is. I might look into thermal bags. I dunno. See how it goes.

I know how I am when receiving packages in the mail...I don't get home till 5:00 on most days, so it sits outside, while my usps deliveries normally arrive at 1pm. If it all goes well, I will probably repeat the experiment by shipping to my daughter in Philly. That way it has a longer transit time.

I welcome any suggestions or experience with shipping body butter without it melting. I really don't want to send out a product that I have to give instructions or explanations for. I want it to arrive exactly how I shipped it out. Maybe its not possible, we shall see.

I did make one tweak to my current recipe though, I added meadowfoam seed oil instead of the other liquid oil.

Or you could ship to me in Upstate NY.... [bats eyelashes] I could reciprocate with a shea+cocoa butter, kokum and mango lotion bar nuggets :rolleyes:😂 Just kidding, though we do have the typical NY bi-polar weather going on right now, excellent for testing the durability of products (seriously 19° overnight, 55° during the day + snow, sleet & rain)

Would you share your whipped body butter recipe? [bats eyelashes again] I've got some meadowfoam oil that I swear I keep hearing whimper "use meeeee... use meeee!"

I made some Shampoo (syndet) and conditioner bars the other day. First time I had used mica for color in the Shampoo Bars and it worked well.

View attachment 70932View attachment 70931
I too just started making Syndet shampoo bars. I’ve been struggling with adding colorants. I have used water soluble dyes, Or I’ve just left them plain with no colorants at all leaving them a stark white. Does anyone have any suggestions on adding colorants to these products?

I too just started making Syndet shampoo bars. I’ve been struggling with adding colorants. I have used water soluble dyes, Or I’ve just left them plain with no colorants at all leaving them a stark white. Does anyone have any suggestions on adding colorants to these products?
I use micas to color my Syndet shampoo bars, the same micas I use for soap. Attaching picture . . .

Attachments

• Blackberry & Magnolia shampoo bars.jpg
    Blackberry & Magnolia shampoo bars.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi @Big J I use mica to color my syndet shampoo bars. My recipe ends up being doughlike before I divide it and put it in the press/mold. The last thing I do before dividing and pressing it is add a bit of mica to the dough and knead it just enough to give a marbled look. If I wanted a solid color, I could knead it longer. The pics give you an idea of what I mean.

Attachments

• 20230320_135844.jpg
    20230320_135844.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_135654.jpg
    20230320_135654.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Hi @Big J I use mica to color my syndet shampoo bars. My recipe ends up being doughlike before I divide it and put it in the press/mold. The last thing I do before dividing and pressing it is add a bit of mica to the dough and knead it just enough to give a marbled look. If I wanted a solid color, I could knead it longer. The pics give you an idea of what I mean.
Ok, these are very cool to say the least. When you use your mica, is it in dry form, just sprinkle some on the dough, then slightly work in? Or is it in a wet form, sprinkled in the dough, slightly working it in? Thanks for any insight. I believe this is the ”thing” that I’m missing!! Well done.

Ok, these are very cool to say the least. When you use your mica, is it in dry form, just sprinkle some on the dough, then slightly work in? Or is it in a wet form, sprinkled in the dough, slightly working it in? Thanks for any insight. I believe this is the ”thing” that I’m missing!! Well done.
One batch of dough makes four of those bars. To that size batch I sprinkle on maybe 1/8 tsp (or less) dry mica and then knead it in, folding over the dough so that all parts of it get some color. I never thought of wetting the mica first.

One batch of dough makes four of those bars. To that size batch I sprinkle on maybe 1/8 tsp (or less) dry mica and then knead it in, folding over the dough so that all parts of it get some color. I never thought of wetting the mica first.
Good deal. I am going to attempt your method! I really like the appearance they present. I’m still very new at making these bars, so any advice on techniques is welcomed. Thanks for sharing your technique with me. Wish me luck.

Or you could ship to me in Upstate NY.... [bats eyelashes] I could reciprocate with a shea+cocoa butter, kokum and mango lotion bar nuggets :rolleyes:😂 Just kidding, though we do have the typical NY bi-polar weather going on right now, excellent for testing the durability of products (seriously 19° overnight, 55° during the day + snow, sleet & rain)

Would you share your whipped body butter recipe? [bats eyelashes again] I've got some meadowfoam oil that I swear I keep hearing whimper "use meeeee... use meeee!"
Sorry LOL. I am sworn to secrecy on the recipe as it was given to me.

I made test balm bars and face cream yesterday. The bar recipe was tallow plus beeswax and that’s it, so barely a recipe at all. At 68% tallow, it melts just enough on skin contact, isn’t draggy, feels good rather than greasy and smells like beeswax, not tallow. I guess I got lucky. The face cream recipe is one I’ve been making for a few years now.

ETA: The 68% bar is great on my hands, but it doesn’t have enough glide for direct application on my face.

Last edited:
I made a batch of lip scrub yesterday and am planning to make my first batch of lip serum today.
I made strawberry banana fruit smoothie and Tropical fruit smoothie for the scrubs - yum! Super cute in little .5oz jars.
@Misschief - I’m using the DIY recipes - love them! 🥰
I subbed sweet almond oil for the fractionated coconut oil, since I don’t have that. I’m curious if you’d suggest getting some for future batches? Is it worth it to add another item to my supplies? This would be my only use for it, so I’m questioning the purchase. Thoughts?
Now that I have you (lol), for the serum, I don’t have rosehip oil. Same issue, this would be my only use for it, so is it a game changer? I’m going to use avocado oil as my sub today.
I did get the jojoba and argan oils for these recipes, so getting one more thing isn’t the end of the world.
Thanks for any thoughts on this 🌸

ETA - photo now that everyone is all made and packaged up 🌸

IMG_1405.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like rosehip oil. It's up there with meadowfoam for me in terms of being non-replaceable. It is great for inflammation (acne, rosacea...), fine lines and dark patches. I believe some people are sensitive to it, but I love it. I use it in serums and cleansing oil, and lip balm.

Alkanet bark makes a great color just be sure it’s infused dark enough. Too light on Alkanet and you’ll have gray
Sea buckthorn oil or powder gives a gorgeous yellow.
Dried plantain leaves infused in oil offer a beautiful green.

I really like rosehip oil. It's up there with meadowfoam for me in terms of being non-replaceable. It is great for inflammation (acne, rosacea...), fine lines and dark patches. I believe some people are sensitive to it, but I love it. I use it in serums and cleansing oil, and lip balm.
Me too on the Rosehip oil. It’s my favorite.

Back