What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you settled on a recipe yet, @Zing ?
In terms of my lotion bars? I always use 1/3 beeswax and 1/3 mango butter, 1% vitamin E oil. I also add a liquid oil which varies depending on budget and availability. I love but at the moment cannot afford mmmmmeadowfoam seed oil. Supply chain issues messed up access to plain old sunflower oil. I have used apricot seed, fractionated coconut, jojoba, and sweet almond.

The essential oil at 1% also varies. I like to use single -- not blends -- essential oils. Lavender for Mrs. Zing, clove bud, sage, frankincense. And plumeria fragrance oil.

Ah, thanks for the Intel! I'm always interested in talking lotion bar tips! But I meant to ask if you settled on a recipe for shampoo bars 😉 I was just curious what recipe you are going to try - just bein' nosey! Lol!

I have a few in testing phases myself. I actually purchased a recipe from Etsy last year and wasn't happy with the results at all! It made SO many bars and they all turned up with orange spots and the stink of old crayons within a couple of months.

Ah, thanks for the Intel! I'm always interested in talking lotion bar tips! But I meant to ask if you settled on a recipe for shampoo bars 😉 I was just curious what recipe you are going to try - just bein' nosey! Lol!

I have a few in testing phases myself. I actually purchased a recipe from Etsy last year and wasn't happy with the results at all! It made SO many bars and they all turned up with orange spots and the stink of old crayons within a couple of months.
Wow, I haven't heard of anyone getting DOS on their syndet bars! But it makes sense that it could happen if any of the normal causes of DOS are present: the oils or EOs added to the bars are possibly old or starting to become rancid, the bars were made with non-distilled water, the bars were cured on metal or in sunlight, etc.

In other words, it wouldn't be the recipe itself that causes DOS, but some external factor. Were you able to track down the potential source or cause?

Those darn dos can be pretty tricky. I got them on my first ever batch years and years ago - I thought I could make soap using expired shortening - lol!

This time the cause is unknown. The recipe was for a "fluid" product. Fresh ingredients, known syndets, bars cured and stored right beside my cp soaps, all the good hygiene and ingredients... I used litsea eo to scent and they smelled divine!

I can't explain why the dos happened. Other than the fact that the recipe made 10 bars when I usually make 1 or 2 at a time, there was no major difference. It's entirely possible that my previous recipes would have developed dos after 10 months in storage as well!

Those darn dos can be pretty tricky. I got them on my first ever batch years and years ago - I thought I could make soap using expired shortening - lol!

This time the cause is unknown. The recipe was for a "fluid" product. Fresh ingredients, known syndets, bars cured and stored right beside my cp soaps, all the good hygiene and ingredients... I used litsea eo to scent and they smelled divine!

I can't explain why the dos happened. Other than the fact that the recipe made 10 bars when I usually make 1 or 2 at a time, there was no major difference. It's entirely possible that my previous recipes would have developed dos after 10 months in storage as well!
I’m so sorry to hear that - I would probably cry if that happened to me! I have made 5-bar batches of the pourable recipe with no DOS ever, and some sat on my shelf for quite almost a year. I do wrap mine after several weeks of curing. Maybe that makes a difference?

I’m guessing some fluke contaminant got in your batch; maybe the EO was actually a bit oxidized, for instance. I know from experience (super accelerated soap) that EOs can be oxidized and still smell good!

Anyway, maybe try making a small batch with oils and EOs from different bottles than the ones used

This just sounds so strange to me. Have you tried contacting the recipe's creator to let them know? Could I ask which vendor you purchased the recipe from?

I'm currently using a syndet shampoo bar, made with a pourable recipe, that was made well over a year ago and it's absolutely fine. Even the scent is unchanged (tea tree and mint).

Aw thanks guys, yeah, I'm well past trouble-shooting those bars :p. I can't remember the name of the vendor right now, maybe DIY something? Anyway, I don't really blame the recipe per se. I have used every single one of the same ingredients *except for one* (the SLSa powder I used up making it) in other products with no issues. I imagine there was something amiss about the hygiene of the batch perhaps. I was definitely sad to waste so MUCH product. Anyway, I'm on to making more liquid shampoos these days. I *LOVE* the Humblebee Silk & Shine shampoo right now. I had to sub out one of the surfactants, but with just one or two more tweaks, I think it's my "forever" shampoo!

I was excited to try out my hemp seed oil that fell into my lap as there was an active thread about it -- and made lotion bars. Mrs. Zing has chronic joint and muscle pain and I had high hopes for a miracle cure. However, I'm really not liking the scent! I added clove bud essential oil. I just poured it so will take a breath, let it set, and then smell later.
For chronic joint & muscle pain I use infused arnica oil. Any preferred skin oil and dried arnica. Sun infusion is my favorite as do not want to use heat. Even with finely ground arnica still need to filter the oil. Add a butter and teeny bit of beeswax. Also consider adding cannabis essential oil (it contains no THC and No CBD). It is simply terpines from the hemp plant. It really helps as does the arnica balm or salve.

@AliOop Excellent! Your product must be outstanding.

I placed an order for ingredients for...wait for it...shampoo bars. It's long been on my bucket list/New Year's resolutions. Now my friends and family can get off my back. 'Preciate all the tips from my peeps coming in to my private messages!

My son today is still completely tickled pink and impressed with his first batch of lotion bars. He used beeswax, shea butter, fractionated coconut oil, and scented with sage essential oil. I used one of my Avery.com label templates which just sent him over the edge.

I'm still not crazy with my first batch of lotion bars made with hemp seed oil. It's the scent. Both Mrs. Zing and Zing Jr say I'm crazy and that they think it helps with muscle and joint pain, so I guess hemp now will be in rotation.
Hemp does help. Try adding hemp essential oil ( cannabis essential oil). There are no THC and no CBD. Edenbotanicals has a very nice one and one tiny drop goes a very long way. I use this in a balm for shoulder and arm aches.

Conditioner bars, three varieties.

View attachment 65181
These are so elegant. Are they rinse off?

Thank you. Yes, they're rinse off but can also be used as a leave-in if desired.
Thank you. My sister said that it may be possible to combine conditioner bar with shampoo bar by first making conditioner bar, grating the bar, and incorporating the gratings into a syndet shampoo bar and then molding. What do you think of this idea?

Thank you. My sister said that it may be possible to combine conditioner bar with shampoo bar by first making conditioner bar, grating the bar, and incorporating the gratings into a syndet shampoo bar and then molding. What do you think of this idea?
I haven't heard or read anything like that but I do know there are some makers who have one side as a shampoo bar and one side as the conditioner. For me, personally, it would be a waste. I use my shampoo bar and just a touch of leave in conditioner for the ends.

Hemp does help. Try adding hemp essential oil ( cannabis essential oil). There are no THC and no CBD. Edenbotanicals has a very nice one and one tiny drop goes a very long way. I use this in a balm for shoulder and arm aches.
I haven't used hemp oil in lotions myself; salad yes, body products no! The extract sounds really nice. I'm glad you have something that works! How does it smell?

I can vouch for arnica and cannabis infused oil. Arnica I buy as an extract, but I make the cannabinoid oil myself with leaves just to get the terpines. My 'hard-core' pain relief lotion uses oil heated with the whole bud for full effect. Easy for me to do as it's legal here. I don't love the smell of hemp oil or extracts at all, but the birch oil I add covers it up nicely. I pretty much smell of old-lady liniment, but it works!

I haven't used hemp oil in lotions myself; salad yes, body products no! The extract sounds really nice. I'm glad you have something that works! How does it smell?

I can vouch for arnica and cannabis infused oil. Arnica I buy as an extract, but I make the cannabinoid oil myself with leaves just to get the terpines. My 'hard-core' pain relief lotion uses oil heated with the whole bud for full effect. Easy for me to do as it's legal here. I don't love the smell of hemp oil or extracts at all, but the birch oil I add covers it up nicely. I pretty much smell of old-lady liniment, but it works!
The cannabis essential oil smells like cannabis. Any floral seems to match well. You are lucky you have legal. I do not. The terpines in the EO do some work.

I made lotion bars! That was super fun! I used @Zing recipe of thirds. Mango butter, beeswax and a lightweight oil, 1% vitamin E and 1% FO.
I did 2 batches of 12 oz and learned that the oat oil I bought is nice, but the cost is crazy for the output. I did batch 2 with sweet almond oil, which still feels lovely and is a lot more affordable.
The solid rounds are the oat oil and scented with oatmeal milk and honey. No added color, the oat oil made them yellow.
The hearts are the sweet almond oil scented with vanilla, I added a dab of rose gold mica to half of them. Can you say Valentine’s Day, or what? 💕
They are all packaged in super cute rose gold tins.
A fun benefit, clean up involves rubbing your hands all over the spatula and other items to not waste any lotion 🌸
Thanks again, @Zing - hope this pic was worth the wait! 😊
257478E0-E529-4F23-AB08-09731AF9F662.jpeg

I made lotion bars! That was super fun! I used @Zing recipe of thirds. Mango butter, beeswax and a lightweight oil, 1% vitamin E and 1% FO.
I did 2 batches of 12 oz and learned that the oat oil I bought is nice, but the cost is crazy for the output. I did batch 2 with sweet almond oil, which still feels lovely and is a lot more affordable.
The solid rounds are the oat oil and scented with oatmeal milk and honey. No added color, the oat oil made them yellow.
The hearts are the sweet almond oil scented with vanilla, I added a dab of rose gold mica to half of them. Can you say Valentine’s Day, or what? 💕
They are all packaged in super cute rose gold tins.
A fun benefit, clean up involves rubbing your hands all over the spatula and other items to not waste any lotion 🌸
Thanks again, @Zing - hope this pic was worth the wait! 😊
View attachment 70416
Well, it is about time!!
Those look great and I can imagine they feel great. LOL on your clean-up technique -- I do the same thing.

I've been making various body care items over the last several weeks to give as gifts. I've finally reached the stage of packing everything into boxes to ship. Tomorrow I weigh them and print labels. My daughter took the pics.

Attachments

• 20230117_164739.jpg
    20230117_164739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230117_163758.jpg
    20230117_163758.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230117_155854.jpg
    20230117_155854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230117_160758.jpg
    20230117_160758.jpg