What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow @Misschief ! Is there anything you don't make?!
I am curious about one of the DIY B&B recipes I think you make. In the B3/B5 Serum recipe, are there instructions for adding ceramide complex? I've read so many good things about ceramides that it made me wonder. I won't be attempting serums any time in the near future as it says for advanced makers and I'm not there yet.

Wow @Misschief ! Is there anything you don't make?!
I am curious about one of the DIY B&B recipes I think you make. In the B3/B5 Serum recipe, are there instructions for adding ceramide complex? I've read so many good things about ceramides that it made me wonder. I won't be attempting serums any time in the near future as it says for advanced makers and I'm not there yet.
Humblebee & Me has a good cermamide complex recipe that's quite simple to make (I've made it and use it). I wouldn't add the Ceramide Complex to the DIY B&B B3/B5 Serum which, incidentally, is very easy to make. The directions are clearly written and very easy to follow. I make it regularly and it takes less than an hour to put it all together; then you let it sit overnight to thicken. It's a fun recipe to make. I think she grades it for advanced makers only because of the ingredients. Not everyone will have those ingredients on hand.

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/rose-ceramide-facial-gel/

Today I made a new batch of varicose vein lotion, using jojoba oil that had been infused since July 3 with ground herbs: yarrow, red clover, and arnica. The jojoba is a significant part of the homemade lotion concentrate base (using this recipe, except with grapeseed oil instead of coconut oil, and Olivem 1000 instead of E-Wax). I then mixed the base with horsetail extract, calendula extract, and helichrysum extract, all which were glycerin-based (not alcohol), and then made up the difference with hot distilled water.

Thankfully it turned out a light pinkish-tan, despite the horsetail extract being quite a dark brown. To cover the less-than-ideal smell of the herbs and extracts, it is lightly scented with lavender EO, peppermint EOs, and a vanilla FO. This smells fantastic and already feels so nice on the skin! That will keep me motivated to apply it 2-3x per day as needed for me to see the benefits of the herbs and extracts.

I'll be interested to how the results compare to my previous batch, which was my regular lotion, with horsetail extract stirred in, and which worked remarkably well for reducing the size, itchiness, throbbing, and appearance of my varicose veins.

Lotion Sept 25 2022.jpg

... and then I ordered a bunch more lotion and conditioner ingredients. LotionCrafter's prices + shipping were the best compared to a few other places.

Last edited:
I tested the lotion today, and it is lovely. Very pillowy, and easy to rub in.

This was my first time using Olivem 1000 instead of e-wax. It definitely has a lower soaping effect than e-wax, at least in this recipe. However, when I went to order some more Olivem 1000 last night, I found that it is double or triple the price of e-wax. 🥹

Needless to say, I will be sticking with e-wax unless prices change (or I can score more Olivem 1000 in a destash, which is how I acquired what I used yesterday).

I may also experiment with some additives that reduce the soaping effect. I notice that aloe vera powder tends to increase it. I’d be interested to hear what others have done in this regard.

I tested the lotion today, and it is lovely. Very pillowy, and easy to rub in.

This was my first time using Olivem 1000 instead of e-wax. It definitely has a lower soaping effect than e-wax, at least in this recipe. However, when I went to order some more Olivem 1000 last night, I found that it is double or triple the price of e-wax. 🥹

Needless to say, I will be sticking with e-wax unless prices change (or I can score more Olivem 1000 in a destash, which is how I acquired what I used yesterday).

I may also experiment with some additives that reduce the soaping effect. I notice that aloe vera powder tends to increase it. I’d be interested to hear what others have done in this regard.
You could always incorporate some dimethicone or IPM (Isopropyl Myristate). I use IPM in most of my lotion/cream recipes at 1-2%.. Check out this post from SCM:

https://www.swiftcraftymonkey.blog/...effect-or-those-white-streaks-from-emulsions/

Well, it doesn't actually clean the shower. It only prevents buildup of water spots and soap scum in between cleanings.

I clean the shower with a 50-50 blend of Dawn dish soap and plain white vinegar. Mix it well, then spray a heavy coat on all shower surfaces, including any glass. Then, the most important step: Let it set for at least 15 minutes. Don't skip that step; it doesn't work nearly as well unless it sits on the surface and begins breaking down the buildup of soap, dead skin cells, hard water deposits, etc.

When you return to clean it, you should be able to scrub lightly and then wash it all down. Of course, if you have a lot of buildup, especially hard water deposits, it can take a couple of rounds to get it all off. Scraping with a razor blade can help with really stubborn buildup.

Once you have the shower back to a good place, regular squeegee-ing and application of the daily shower spray should help maintain it so that weekly cleaning is much less strenuous. The Dawn-vinegar spray also works well on hard water deposits under the rim of toilets, and soap scum buildup on sinks, too.
Thanks for this recipe! It's a game-changer and really powerful. I was so frustrated I couldn't keep our vinyl curtain clean and I just knew my peeps here would have a recipe.

While rooting around under the bathroom sink for another container of deodorant, I came across a batch I'd made awhile back that was too draggy - no gliding onto the skin as one expects from a deo stick. Not finding any other deo stash, I remelted this batch with a bit more babassu oil, FKO, and mag hydroxide.

After pouring it into a few containers, it has now cooled completely. and I've tested it. It's not perfect, but it's quite usable and will tide me over while I play with adding cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol to different batches in an attempt to achieve the elusive glide. I also posted a comment on HumbleBee & Me to suggest that she revisit deodorant formulation. She has a bunch of old recipes on the blog, but they all contain baking soda, which is a no-go for me (and which she no longer recommends, either).

I also made up another batch of citric acid daily shower spray, and a batch of my husband's post-shampoo ACV + EO hair rinse. After informing him that I'd once again used up all the distilled water in the house (which he also needs for his CPAP machine), he suggested that I buy a water distiller. My response: "As you wish." ❤️ So, I'm off to purchase that now (from my Amazon wish-list, of course). 😁

Soooooo. Today I made conditioner bars. Pulled out all the stops and used my pricey new baobab oil, which is supposed to be wonderful for dry curly hair. Even added dimethicone, which I usually skip, but I received some in a destash, so why not? And I even made a bigger batch than normal, because, why not?

I also incorporated an update to the DIY B&B conditioner bars, which calls for using Olivem 1000 instead of some of the glycerin. Only it was supposed to be Olivem 300.... which I didn't notice till I was cleaning up and reviewing the recipe notes. I sure hope that these still work as conditioner bars, or lotion bars, or something, because there are too many expensive ingredients in these to toss them.

PS - at least they smell really good: a blend of rosemary, tea tree, peppermint, and patchouli EOs, with some Bamboo Mint FO to cut down on the medicinal smell. Sounds weird but I really like it.

View attachment 68213
I've been on the fence about whether to buy this recipe or try Humblebee's Vanilla Spice bar because there are less ingredients. Have you tried them both, by chance? It'll be my first time making conditioner bars and I want them to be awesome enough to use and gift a couple to friends, too. I already bought DIY's hot pour shampoo bar recipe and can't wait for a couple of the ingredients to arrive so I can get started.

As for what I've made: I made a facial cleanser to try on my super sensitive skin and I'm crossing my fingers that my face doesn't revolt when I get up the nerve to try it. I'm waiting until after this weekend just in case because we're having pictures taken.

Well, it doesn't actually clean the shower. It only prevents buildup of water spots and soap scum in between cleanings.

I clean the shower with a 50-50 blend of Dawn dish soap and plain white vinegar. Mix it well, then spray a heavy coat on all shower surfaces, including any glass. Then, the most important step: Let it set for at least 15 minutes. Don't skip that step; it doesn't work nearly as well unless it sits on the surface and begins breaking down the buildup of soap, dead skin cells, hard water deposits, etc.

When you return to clean it, you should be able to scrub lightly and then wash it all down. Of course, if you have a lot of buildup, especially hard water deposits, it can take a couple of rounds to get it all off. Scraping with a razor blade can help with really stubborn buildup.

Once you have the shower back to a good place, regular squeegee-ing and application of the daily shower spray should help maintain it so that weekly cleaning is much less strenuous. The Dawn-vinegar spray also works well on hard water deposits under the rim of toilets, and soap scum buildup on sinks, too.
So, again, thank you for this recipe. I love how powerful it is. But I'm not crazy about the scent of vinegar. Do you think it's safe to add lemon essential oil? Would it affect tile and vinyl?

So, again, thank you for this recipe. I love how powerful it is. But I'm not crazy about the scent of vinegar. Do you think it's safe to add lemon essential oil? Would it affect tile and vinyl?
Yes the smell is strong, esp if you are spraying from inside the shower with the doors or curtains closed. 😵‍💫 😷

I have added d-limonene to mine, which is kinda like lemon EO on steroids, and is found in many commercial cleaners. So I’m sure lemon EO would be fine for your tile and glass at least.

Maybe test a bottom corner of your shower curtain to see how it reacts on vinyl? If you do decide to spray the whole thing, please videotape it in case it melts, because I know we’d all want to see that! I mean, so we could sympathize with you!

I've been on the fence about whether to buy this recipe or try Humblebee's Vanilla Spice bar because there are less ingredients. Have you tried them both, by chance? It'll be my first time making conditioner bars and I want them to be awesome enough to use and gift a couple to friends, too. I already bought DIY's hot pour shampoo bar recipe and can't wait for a couple of the ingredients to arrive so I can get started.
I haven't used that recipe, sorry. Just looking at the ingredients, for my own use, I'd have to sub out the cetrimonium chloride. In her online encyclopedia, Marie describes it as "an excellent conditioning agent for hair, with anti-static, anti-frizz, and detangling properties. It also functions as an emulsifier and surfactant, helping boost rinse-off and stabilize emulsions." However, she also notes the very low usage rate due to high possibility for skin irritation. I can almost guarantee that I'd be one of those people, so I've never ventured into trying it.

The DIY B&B recipe uses Honey Quat instead, but that can have a very strong and not-nice smell that has to be covered up with some kind of EO or FO. I use glycerine instead. Since the centrimonium chloride is only 4% of the Vanilla Spice bar recipe, glycerine could be an easy sub for you, too, if you have some around. If not, I'd up the BTMS 50 by that 4%.

I'd also have trouble with the EO blend in the Vanilla Spice bars, which Marie no longer recommends per the update on that page. My skin and blood pressure react violently to even small amounts of those EOs, even when well-diluted. Of course, it's easy enough to leave out the EOs, or use different ones.

Unlike shampoo bars, conditioner bars are quite forgiving when you play around with the recipe. Some folks make them with just BTMS, or only BTMS plus a butter... or BTMS, butter, cetyl, glycerine, and panthenol. The cool thing is that if you don't like the conditioner bar, like a lotion bar, you can remelt it to add more ingredients. :)

If you do try the recipe, or some version thereof, I'd love to hear back.

Last edited:
I haven't used that recipe, sorry. Just looking at the ingredients, for my own use, I'd have to sub out the cetrimonium chloride. In her online encyclopedia, Marie describes it as "an excellent conditioning agent for hair, with anti-static, anti-frizz, and detangling properties. It also functions as an emulsifier and surfactant, helping boost rinse-off and stabilize emulsions." However, she also notes the very low usage rate due to high possibility for skin irritation. I can almost guarantee that I'd be one of those people, so I've never ventured into trying it.

The DIY B&B recipe uses Honey Quat instead, but that can have a very strong and not-nice smell that has to be covered up with some kind of EO or FO. I use glycerine instead. Since the centrimonium chloride is only 4% of the Vanilla Spice bar recipe, glycerine could be an easy sub for you, too, if you have some around. If not, I'd up the BTMS 50 by that 4%.

I'd also have trouble with the EO blend in the Vanilla Spice bars, which Marie no longer recommends per the update on that page. My skin and blood pressure react violently to even small amounts of those EOs, even when well-diluted. Of course, it's easy enough to leave out the EOs, or use different ones.

Unlike shampoo bars, conditioner bars are quite forgiving when you play around with the recipe. Some folks make them with just BTMS, or only BTMS plus a butter... or BTMS, butter, cetyl, glycerine, and panthenol. The cool thing is that if you don't like the conditioner bar, like a lotion bar, you can remelt it to add more ingredients. :)

Thank you. I have very reactive skin and scalp and I read all that, too, which is why you are the one I thought to ask. I don't scent or color anything for myself and my family because of all the skin reactions. I purchased both DIY recipes (hot pour shampoo bars and conditioner bars). It just might be a little longer before I attempt the conditioner bars because anything worth doing is worth doing right. Lol.

I made a facial cleanser to try on my super sensitive skin and I'm crossing my fingers that my face doesn't revolt
I have mature, dry, sensitive skin. Years ago I was using DHC Deep Cleansing Oil I bought from a Japanese Mail Order Catalog. It is one of the first things I was able to duplicate.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/deep-cleansing-oil.69671/
DHC’s bestselling, cult-classic Deep Cleansing Oil is truly one of a kind. The original Japanese first step oil cleanser melts away makeup and dissolves impurities, leaving your skin clean, soft and radiant. :thumbs:

@Servant4Christ But but but :) ... if you have all the ingredients for the Vanilla Spice bars, it's super easy to sub out the centrimonium chloride for another liquid, like this (changes shown in bold):

20g | 0.71oz BTMS-50
10g | 0.35oz cetyl alcohol
15g | 0.53oz tucuma butter (or cocoa butter, kokum butter, or another hard butter)
2g | 0.07oz glycerin or favorite hair oil like meadowfoam, jojoba, argan, baobab, etc. (instead of centrimonium chloride)

1g | 0.03oz panthenol powder
1g | 0.03oz hydrolyzed silk (or another hydrolized protein like oat, baobab, etc., or glycerin)

No, those substitution ingredients don't serve the same function as centrimonium chloride, but they are of similar consistency, so the mix will come together correctly. I don't use any quats and have never had a problem subbing in any of these other ingredients. And I can say, any of the variations listed above would create a conditioner bar that I'd like for my dry, curly hair and sensitive skin.

So while I totally applaud your desire to "do it right," conditioner bars are really just super customizable lotion bars for hair. With a base of BTMS 50 and cetyl in the right ratios as shown here, everything else is based on what works for you.

If you are able to tolerate a wee bit of a gentle EO (lavender? patchouli?) that will make it smell nicer, that's something to consider. Some of the conditioner bar ingredients and some of the recommended hair oils don't smell that wonderful. They don't bother me, but I've heard of others gagging on the smell. I don't think it remains in the hair after using.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes once you get a chance to try your recipe of choice. :)

Last edited:
@Servant4Christ But but but :) ... if you have all the ingredients for the Vanilla Spice bars, it's super easy to sub out the centrimonium chloride for another liquid, like this (changes shown in bold):

20g | 0.71oz BTMS-50
10g | 0.35oz cetyl alcohol
15g | 0.53oz tucuma butter (or cocoa butter, kokum butter, or another hard butter)
2g | 0.07oz glycerin or favorite hair oil like meadowfoam, jojoba, argan, baobab, etc. (instead of centrimonium chloride)

1g | 0.03oz panthenol powder
1g | 0.03oz hydrolyzed silk (or another hydrolized protein like oat, baobab, etc., or glycerin)

No, those substitution ingredients don't serve the same function as centrimonium chloride, but they are of similar consistency, so the mix will come together correctly. I don't use any quats and have never had a problem subbing in any of these other ingredients. And I can say, any of the variations listed above would create a conditioner bar that I'd like for my dry, curly hair and sensitive skin.

So while I totally applaud your desire to "do it right," conditioner bars are really just super customizable lotion bars for hair. With a base of BTMS 50 and cetyl in the right ratios as shown here, everything else is based on what works for you.

If you are able to tolerate a wee bit of a gentle EO (lavender? patchouli?) that will make it smell nicer, that's something to consider. Some of the conditioner bar ingredients and some of the recommended hair oils don't smell that wonderful. They don't bother me, but I've heard of others gagging on the smell. I don't think it remains in the hair after using.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes once you get a chance to try your recipe of choice. :)
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how big my shampoo and conditioner bars are supposed to be as in weight (in grams) equals what size mold. I know how to do this but I think my brain went into overload in my excitement and is now mush.

I was considering researching to see if I can sub cationic guar gum (mixed in the glycerin) for the honeyquat. Would this make sense?

Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how big my shampoo and conditioner bars are supposed to be as in weight (in grams) equals what size mold. I know how to do this but I think my brain went into overload in my excitement and is now mush.
haha I totally get it! What I did was look in at all my cavity molds, and think about what shape I wanted to hold in my hand. I've experimented with a few different ones, and have learned a few things along the way:

1. Cubic or round shapes work best because they wear more evenly, something like this or like this or like this. I've also used soap molds shaped like dahlias and sunflowers which worked pretty well; they were just REALLY large so you will be using the same bar FOR-EVAH.

2. Rectangular shapes, or those with a thinner plane and a thicker plane (e.g., your standard bar soap shape) tend to wear unevenly and eventually break into pieces. That's not a big deal if you don't mind remelting them back together, or using them in a thin mesh bag, but I prefer to avoid the extra work myself.

To figure out size in terms of how much product, if you watch Marie's video for the recipe she made (the one I customized above), it fit into one cavity of what appeared to be a standard sized silicone muffin mold (another great option for a mold, btw).

I was considering researching to see if I can sub cationic guar gum (mixed in the glycerin) for the honeyquat. Would this make sense?
I don't think that's a good sub, honestly. Gums are used for thickening, which is not what you are after. Glycerin or an oil that's nice for hair will be your best bet here, especially if you want to use what you have on hand, or you want to buy something that can also be used in a lot of other products.

Last edited:
Back