What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made lotion bars! My good good buddy from Hawai'i spent a few days here and brought me kukui nut oil and a boat load of plumeria fragrance oils. Normally I'm not into florals but plumeria just sends me. I used 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 mango butter, 1/9 kukui nut oil, 1/9 raspberry seed oil, 1/9 mmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, and plumeria fragrance oil.
This gave me an idea of what to finally do with some gorgeous monoi oil I've had kicking around for the longest time! Too bad I don't have meadowfoam seed oil. Or mmmmmeadowfoam seed oil. 😁

I'll share an update on last night's batch of lotion bars. Despite some initial concern, it is not staining Mrs. Zing's or my skin for a jaundiced look (I was worried about the raspberry seed oil being really yellow). It is the least greasy bar I've made so far. Mmmmmmmmmmeadowfoam seed oil is amazing. It's expensive but one of the few liquid oils I have right now -- haven't purchased many ingredients due to inflation.

I love the effect of kukui nut oil. In Hawaii, they use it to soothe sunburns. But it does have a distinct scent, not unpleasant but still. While I normally dislike floral scents, I find plumeria intoxicating and a little goes a long way.. So I added in a smaller amount, 3-4%. It was the perfect balance of plumeria and kukui, subtle and awesome. Mrs. Zing has endorsed as well, so there's that..

And just to repeat my earlier post, my recipe is
1/3 beeswax,
1/3 mango butter,
1/9 kukui nut oil,
1/9 raspberry seed oil,
1/9 mmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, and
plumeria fragrance oil.

I'm putting together what I need to make a loose version of the varicose vein recipe found here. Starting with a mixture of meadowfoam seed oil and jojoba, I began an infusion with dried and powdered yarrow, arnica, and red clover blossoms. The infused oil will be used for the oil portion of my favorite lotion recipe. The recipe also calls for both horse chestnut extract and glycerin, so I purchased a horse chestnut extract that is made with glycerin instead of alcohol - win-win! Another ingredient is helichrysum EO; since that is so expensive, I purchased a water-based helichrysum extract.

The back story is that my family has a history of chronic venous insufficiency. I don't have it as badly as some other family members, but it has been getting worse the past few years as I've become more sedentary (duh). I have used this recipe in the past and seen improvement, but didn't stick with it. Now that I know how to work the active ingredients into my lotion recipe, I'm confident that I can be more consistent and see further improvement... and maybe share it with a few family members to see if they have any relief, as well.

Last edited:
I'm putting together what I need to make a loose version of the varicose vein recipe found here. Starting with a mixture of meadowfoam seed oil and jojoba, I began an infusion with dried and powdered yarrow, arnica, and red clover blossoms. The infused oil will be used for the oil portion of my favorite lotion recipe. The recipe also calls for glycerin, so I purchased a horse chestnut extract that is made with glycerin instead of alcohol.

The back story is that my family has a history of chronic venous insufficiency. I don't have it as badly as some other family members, but it has been getting worse the past few years as I've become more sedentary (duh). I have used this recipe in the past and seen improvement, but didn't stick with it. Now that I know how to work the active ingredients into my lotion recipe, I'm confident that I can be more consistent and see further improvement... and maybe share it with a few family members to see if they have any relief, as well.
Ooo, yes! My varicose veins have really worsened over the last year. Thanks for the link! I plan to make this, too, now.

@JasmineTea let me know what you think when you have tried it. 😊

I had previously tried an OTC arnica gel after my third vein procedure (which is the last one; the condition never improves but always worsens despite using latest techniques). The gel was recommended by the nurses, and it sped up healing to a certain point for sure. Arnica is clinically proven effective for bruising, and many of my varicose veins are not the ropy kind; they are the result of very light bumps that create awful bruises, which turn into permanent marks bc the veins are so weak, they just never heal. That’s what made me decide to include arnica in the infusion, even though it isn’t part of her recipe.

The horse chestnut seems to be the star of the recipe, from what I’ve read. So, while I’m waiting for the infusion to be done, I am currently using up some alcohol-based horse chestnut extract that I mix into my lotion before applying. After just one week of applying it 1-2x per day, the most angry spots (where blood pools at my ankles) are definitely lighter.

I also have a big tangled mess of large dark blue veins and angry red broken capillaries on the outside of my left calf. It’s about six inches long and three inches across at its widest. Because it is so large, it doesn’t even look like veins from a glance. I’ve even had folks ask me, “What happened to your leg?” Or, “How did you get that burn?”

For the most part, I’m over being self-conscious about it, which is one plus that comes with aging. 😀 But I am still thrilled to report that this spot is definitely much lighter after one week of faithfully applying the lotion, too. I am not expecting to miraculously eliminate all of these spots, but significant fading is a huge victory for me, one that conventional treatment was not able to accomplish.

To prevent varicose veins I started wearing L'eggs Sheer Energy panty hose at age 26. I haven't kept up with it until recently when I noticed some "briusing" at both ankles.

I had some helicrysum EO 5% in olive oil handy and started using that. It seems to be working. The marks are fading rather nicely.

I'm wearing my L'eggs daily now too. Better than compression sox, IMO, but I have worn those too. A little too hot for summer.

To prevent varicose veins I started wearing L'eggs Sheer Energy panty hose at age 26. I haven't kept up with it until recently when I noticed some "briusing" at both ankles.

I had some helicrysum EO 5% in olive oil handy and started using that. It seems to be working. The marks are fading rather nicely.

I'm wearing my L'eggs daily now too. Better than compression sox, IMO, but I have worn those too. A little too hot for summer.
Oh, my! That makes me hot just reading about wearing hose 🥵. I haven't worn them for years. I do understand their usefulness, though.

@JasmineTea let me know what you think when you have tried it. 😊

I had previously tried an OTC arnica gel after my third vein procedure (which is the last one; the condition never improves but always worsens despite using latest techniques). The gel was recommended by the nurses, and it sped up healing to a certain point for sure. Arnica is clinically proven effective for bruising, and many of my varicose veins are not the ropy kind; they are the result of very light bumps that create awful bruises, which turn into permanent marks bc the veins are so weak, they just never heal. That’s what made me decide to include arnica in the infusion, even though it isn’t part of her recipe.

The horse chestnut seems to be the star of the recipe, from what I’ve read. So, while I’m waiting for the infusion to be done, I am currently using up some alcohol-based horse chestnut extract that I mix into my lotion before applying. After just one week of applying it 1-2x per day, the most angry spots (where blood pools at my ankles) are definitely lighter.

I also have a big tangled mess of large dark blue veins and angry red broken capillaries on the outside of my left calf. It’s about six inches long and three inches across at its widest. Because it is so large, it doesn’t even look like veins from a glance. I’ve even had folks ask me, “What happened to your leg?” Or, “How did you get that burn?”

For the most part, I’m over being self-conscious about it, which is one plus that comes with aging. 😀 But I am still thrilled to report that this spot is definitely much lighter after one week of faithfully applying the lotion, too. I am not expecting to miraculously eliminate all of these spots, but significant fading is a huge victory for me, one that conventional treatment was not able to accomplish.
I ordered some herbs last night, including both arnica and horse chestnut. My current favorite lotion is Sugar Plum Facial Lotion - Humblebee & Me , so I'm thinking of infusing the herbs in oil (probably meadowfoam instead of the plum) and then making the lotion. I'm really looking forward to trying this. I have done precisely zero to treat/improve my veins. I already know I have problems with lymphatic flow and blood flow in my legs, because of my lipedema. It just never occurred to me to make and apply something 😊.

Aging definitely has its benefits! I used to never leave the house without makeup. Now? I rarely wear it. My shoes have most definitely graduated to the comfortable sort. It's a blessing to not be troubled about some of those externals any more. That's not to say that I'm eager to display my lumpy body any time soon 😁.

For me, the nicest part about the M&P syndet base would be not having to wear the dust mask and eye protection when weighing and initially mixing the SCI. But I admit to really enjoying the process of concocting my own blend. And since I just restocked with a 5lb bag of SCI, it will be awhile before I could justify buying some of the base to try. So I will live vicariously through the rest of you. :)
Was that 5lb powder SCI? If yes, may i ask where from?

I made lotion bars! My good good buddy from Hawai'i spent a few days here and brought me kukui nut oil and a boat load of plumeria fragrance oils. Normally I'm not into florals but plumeria just sends me. I used 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 mango butter, 1/9 kukui nut oil, 1/9 raspberry seed oil, 1/9 mmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, and plumeria fragrance oil.
I looooove jasmine plumeria fromNS!!

I made a trial batch of the pourable DIY Bath & Body shampoo bars. It took me soooo long to make them. What with measuring, melting, dissolving a bit in hot H2O, testing pH, remelting, adding citric acid solution (which, of course, I had to make since I didn't have any on hand), re-dissolving and testing, remelting to "pour" into the mold, it took hours for this very small batch. Someone please tell me that it's easier to work with a larger batch, or I will not want to make these again. My previous experience is with a more dough-like shampoo bar that I press. That seems like a walk in the park compared to the fiddly time I had with the pourable recipe. I really want to like making this recipe.

@JasmineTea ugh, sorry it was no fun for you! I do think it is easier with larger batches. Also, I use the microwave to melt everything together except fragrance, preservative, and- I think?- the silk proteins. Have to check my notes on that last one.

Anyway, microwaving it all in one container is so much easier and faster for me. Also, I tend to stick with the same additives so that I don’t have to pH test each time. I too find that part very time-consuming and not enjoyable.

Now that you have slogged through all that work, I do hope you love the bars when you use them! FWIW, my first try turned out inexplicably soft, and it took me a long time to try again - but I am glad I did.

@JasmineTea, I make five different varieties of shampoo bars; only one of them is the pourable shampoo bar because I too find it fiddly. I'll keep making that one pourable recipe as its the one my hair likes the best. And, yes, the procedure does become easier but it's still fiddly.

I can tell you that there are a lot of makers in the DIY Bath & Body FB group who prefer the pourable recipe over the pressed bar recipe; I'm not one of them.

I found a recipe for a lotion supposedly similar to Aveeno. I made one batch with shea butter, as called for in the recipe, and another with mango butter since I wanted to use it up. I didn't have any colloidal oatmeal so I put some oats in a food processor and tried to make my own. I did get a pretty fine powder, almost like flour, but it was still too coarse. I ended up straining the mixture before putting it into the jars. Haven't tried it yet.

I found a recipe for a lotion supposedly similar to Aveeno. I made one batch with shea butter, as called for in the recipe, and another with mango butter since I wanted to use it up. I didn't have any colloidal oatmeal so I put some oats in a food processor and tried to make my own. I did get a pretty fine powder, almost like flour, but it was still too coarse. I ended up straining the mixture before putting it into the jars. Haven't tried it yet.
Yeah, I'm not surprised it's gritty. Colloidal oatmeal isn't just finely ground oatmeal; it's even finer, and water soluble because it goes through a different process. You can find Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal in most drug stores. I find it in the baby section of my local drug store.

Here is an update to my vein repair lotion:

For now, I’m not using the full recipe, since I’m waiting a few weeks while some of the herbs infuse into the jojoba oil. In the meantime, I’ve been using my regular lotion with alcohol-based horse chestnut extract stirred in.

It’s been two weeks, and I’ve seen marked improvement. As of yesterday morning, all the hot spots were much less “angry” looking - definitely fainter in color and smaller in size.

Of course, after 3.5 hours in a plane, even with RX compression hose, the swelling and redness grew visibly worse. However, my problem areas were nowhere near as bad as they normally are after flying.

When I got in from the airport, I rubbed in the lotion and really massaged out some of the swelling. This morning, I applied more lotion and went for a 40-minute walk (walking helps a lot by pumping the blood back up the legs).

Then the grandkids and I swam for about 90 minutes, and I just now reapplied the lotion after rinsing off. The damaged veins are still not quite back to where they were before the flight; however, they are still visibly better than before I started this experiment, and much better than normal after flying.

Apparently horse chestnut extract is a winner for me. I look forward to making the full version of the vein lotion when I get home, to see if the results improve even further.

FWIW, The bruise marks on both ankles and one on my upper thigh have completely disappeared.
WooHoo.gif

@Gaisy59 I hope the recipe helps. I believe it does take time and consistency, but I'm still early in the process myself. Please let us know how it works for you if you do try it.

Back