What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this week I paid an absurd amount of money for a tiny tube of Lanolips Lemonaid, but it's the only thing that seems to keep my lips truly happy. I remember Lansinoh being a godsend during the baby nursing days, but I also remember how unpleasant the smell and texture were to me when I tried it on my lips.

Looking at the Lanolips ingredient list, it seems very dupe-able. I need to investigate the citrus components to see what their role actually is.

For the thing I actually DID: I took another crack at Marie's Shealoe Butter but left out the colloidal oats since I haven't sourced any yet after the oat flour eBay ripoff that contaminated my last batch. My skin really likes it, and the lavender hydrosol smells incredible, but that xanthan gum texture just freaks me out on a primordial level. It's a problem I have with some commercial cleansers and lotions and foods too, gums just give a stretchy slipperiness that I find offensive. I think I can get through this batch but have learned for future projects that I prefer emulsifiers that are more stable, and fatty thickeners rather than gums.

Earlier this week I paid an absurd amount of money for a tiny tube of Lanolips Lemonaid, but it's the only thing that seems to keep my lips truly happy. I remember Lansinoh being a godsend during the baby nursing days, but I also remember how unpleasant the smell and texture were to me when I tried it on my lips.

Looking at the Lanolips ingredient list, it seems very dupe-able. I need to investigate the citrus components to see what their role actually is.

For the thing I actually DID: I took another crack at Marie's Shealoe Butter but left out the colloidal oats since I haven't sourced any yet after the oat flour eBay ripoff that contaminated my last batch. My skin really likes it, and the lavender hydrosol smells incredible, but that xanthan gum texture just freaks me out on a primordial level. It's a problem I have with some commercial cleansers and lotions and foods too, gums just give a stretchy slipperiness that I find offensive. I think I can get through this batch but have learned for future projects that I prefer emulsifiers that are more stable, and fatty thickeners rather than gums.
That sounds pretty amazing!

I've been making this Humblebee & Me recipe and I love it on my lips. It's supposed to be an Overnight Lip Mask but I use it all the time.

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/moisturizing-overnight-lip-mask/

Thank you Zany, what a useful site! That's about a thousand times easier than the copy-paste web search I was doing. And I have all of the non-icky ingredients which is very convenient! :dance:

@Megan thank you for sharing that and the pictures. I like that the larger picture is the after picture, unlike those ads where the before picture is taken from up close and the after picture from a greater distance
Lol...I didn't pay much attention to that! I just tried to get them all in the same collage.

Update to the serum making:
I ran out of my first batch (I was really slathering it on...I mean it is pretty economical compared to some of the stuff I was buying so...)
I made another with all of the water replaced with the sea kelp bioferment.
I would not recommend this...I mentioned the other batch was sticky...this one is extra sticky and pills a little. Plus it's literally a jelly. I may end up making a batch with less bioferment to dilute this one.
Plan on testing other additives to the base as well, to see what I like best. Maybe in a couple of months.

I have an upcoming market at a local yarn store and today someone messaged me to ask if I would have my Knitters Hand Cream available at that market. It's the perfect place to have it, right? So I made a small batch. The only thing that makes it a knitters hand cream is the addition of lanolin oil. Lanolin comes from sheep; wool comes from sheep, so.............

I ran out of my first batch (I was really slathering it on...I mean it is pretty economical compared to some of the stuff I was buying so...)

Ah, the joys of DIY. When you make it yourself, you can use as much as you want! And, you know exactly what it costs and what's in it.

I made another with all of the water replaced with the sea kelp bioferment.
I would not recommend this...I mentioned the other batch was sticky...this one is extra sticky and pills a little. Plus it's literally a jelly. I may end up making a batch with less bioferment to dilute this one.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. It's an amazing ingredient but, yeah, jelly. I love that you're playing with the formula. That's one of my favourite things to do.

I made a gazillion, ok 50, lip balms. I guess my thing tonight is going to be labeling them. I had a cold last week and now that my nose is all good and sore from blowing it, it reminded me that I need to make some LOL.

Calendula infused sweet almond oil, mango butter, cocoa butter, beeswax. I just made it...literally just put the caps on, but I was dabbing up spillage the whole time and wiping it on my chapped face. My upper lip is almost normal now LOL.

Gonna put my logo on the labels and give them out at work next week...remind everybody to buy soap LOL.

I made a gazillion, ok 50, lip balms. I guess my thing tonight is going to be labeling them. I had a cold last week and now that my nose is all good and sore from blowing it, it reminded me that I need to make some LOL.

Calendula infused sweet almond oil, mango butter, cocoa butter, beeswax. I just made it...literally just put the caps on, but I was dabbing up spillage the whole time and wiping it on my chapped face. My upper lip is almost normal now LOL.

Gonna put my logo on the labels and give them out at work next week...remind everybody to buy soap LOL.
Lip balms are on my short list. I haven’t made any in over a year. What did you use to melt and pour?

I suddenly realized that next Saturday is our ladies' Bunco night... and I was asked to supply soaps and B&B products as the prizes. Soaps aplenty I have, so all is well there. Thankfully, I also still had some lotion concentrate and foaming bath butter concentrate, both made from the DIY Bath & Body recipes (sold on Etsy). That made it easy to whip up some little containers of emulsified foaming sugar scrub, as well as some Hemp Repair Cream (a lovely hand and foot cream made with hemp oil, colloidal oats, and a titch of liquid silk).

The texture and performance of both turned out great. And the Hemp Repair Cream smells wonderful (Peppermint EO blended with a vanilla FO). Unfortunately, despite using way less than the recommended amount, the Plumeria in the sugar scrub is just way too strong. I'm going to make another batch with no scent, and mix them together to tone it down a bit! 😅

I suddenly realized that next Saturday is our ladies' Bunco night... and I was asked to supply soaps and B&B products as the prizes. Soaps aplenty I have, so all is well there. Thankfully, I also still had some lotion concentrate and foaming bath butter concentrate, both made from the DIY Bath & Body recipes (sold on Etsy). That made it easy to whip up some little containers of emulsified foaming sugar scrub, as well as some Hemp Repair Cream (a lovely hand and foot cream made with hemp oil, colloidal oats, and a titch of liquid silk).

The texture and performance of both turned out great. And the Hemp Repair Cream smells wonderful (Peppermint EO blended with a vanilla FO). Unfortunately, despite using way less than the recommended amount, the Plumeria in the sugar scrub is just way too strong. I'm going to make another batch with no scent, and mix them together to tone it down a bit! 😅
I want to be part of your Bunco night. Fabulous items. :)

I’m about to make the lotion concentrate from DIY as soon as my ingredients arrive. I can’t wait! I may have to try the foaming concentrate too. Is the hemp repair using the lotion concentrate?

@bwtapestry It's a fun group, for sure! Great snacks and lots of laughing. We typically pay a $5 buy in and win cash prizes, but a few ladies requested hand-crafted items instead. It's a great excuse opportunity for me to make more products! :)

I’m about to make the lotion concentrate from DIY as soon as my ingredients arrive. I can’t wait! I may have to try the foaming concentrate too. Is the hemp repair using the lotion concentrate?
Yes! I love that base recipe since it is so customizable. The version I made tonight is a thicker cream (more base, less water), and uses hemp oil as the added oil. I also have a light cream version for face that uses argan and meadowfoam seed oils. It's just lovely!

Made pineapple bath bombs for an event on Sat (actually pineapple scented llamas...I'm on a llama kick) . Need to make mango tonight and I'll be all set with no time to spare!
A little nervous as I noticed warts on one of them last night but the rest seemed okay...so maybe it was just a mixing issue and I had a little activation. Hopefully It is just the one...I'll check on them after work.
Hopefully I'll get pics tonight as I have to load them to my site anyway.

Latest posts

Back