What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop @Misschief I thought I'd try my hand at bath bombs as something "simple" to do between soaps, shampoo and conditioners. Hah! Not so simple after all, and yes, are they ever finicky! Especially here in the PNW humidity!
Exactly. I'm a little north of you and our humidity this past week has been anywhere from 32% to 98%. Bath bombs? I don't think so!

A ziplock baggie sounds great. Unfortunately for me, these were ordered by a friend who wants to give them as gifts. I'll probably use something like these cupcake holders from Hobby Lobby. I wish they had straight sides, but those are more expensive, and not within the requestor's budget.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 11.09.23 AM.png

After two failed bath bomb batches (say that 10x fast), and two accelerated and chunky pine tar soaps, I finally made some pretty bath bombs using my mooncake press. I am going to press my luck and try another batch before calling it quits tonight.

View attachment 69999
After two failed bath bomb batches

Over the last week, I've used Dean Wilson's recipe from his YT channel, that recipe as modified by Emilie Leffler on her YT channel, a recipe from Creative Bath Lab, and the recipes from Judy Garcia and Lucy McCann from Mooncake Cult.

I think I'm happiest with Lucy's recipe with slight, ummmm, modifications. I mismeasured the CA (automatically assumed it was ½ as much as the bicarb when it should have been less), accidentally left out the cornstarch, and intentionally added some SLSa and guar gum. The mix felt pretty dry but molded perfectly, and released cleanly from the mooncake press. The tester spun and fizzed nicely with good foam. The Dean Wilson/Emilie Leffler recipe produced the bomb that lasted the longest, and it had fantastic foam, but it would not mold well - not in the spheres or in the mooncake presses. Granted, it was raining that day, which isn't ideal.

No matter whose recipe I use, I always mix in the CA last, after mixing all other dry ingredients with all other wet ingredients.

I'm going to heat up some coconut oil and add Dragon's Blood FO for my 16 year old granddaughter.

A ziplock baggie sounds great. Unfortunately for me, these were ordered by a friend who wants to give them as gifts. I'll probably use something like these cupcake holders from Hobby Lobby. I wish they had straight sides, but those are more expensive, and not within the requestor's budget.

View attachment 70003
I’m sure it’s too late, @AliOop, and I don’t know if these would work, but I love these cupcake holders that look like they have straighter sides like you were hoping for, and they are a lot more affordable than the sparkly Hobby Lobby ones. 🌸

50-Pack Paper Baking Cups, Medium Dessert Containers Paper Cups Muffin Cupcake Liners for Baking, Dessert Baking Pudding Containers for Wedding, Birthday, Party https://a.co/d/aSXo4Fg

I’m sure it’s too late, @AliOop, and I don’t know if these would work, but I love these cupcake holders that look like they have straighter sides like you were hoping for, and they are a lot more affordable than the sparkly Hobby Lobby ones. 🌸

50-Pack Paper Baking Cups, Medium Dessert Containers Paper Cups Muffin Cupcake Liners for Baking, Dessert Baking Pudding Containers for Wedding, Birthday, Party https://a.co/d/aSXo4Fg
Thank you, that is so sweet of you to share! The Hobby Lobby ones were $1.79 for a 24pk, so the price was good, and I could pick them up locally. But I sure appreciate your kindness to share. 🤗

Today was lotion bar day. The first batch was made for a very dear friend, so it was a luxe version with lavender EO, organic local beeswax, mango butter, kukui nut oil and raspberry seed oil.

The next batch was made for a friend who wanted something that "smelled like the lotion bar your friend sent last year" - referring to @Zing's lotion bar that she ended up taking over as her own. I couldn't remember exactly which bar she stole received from me, but she thought it smelled citrusy, so she got a blend of sweet orange and cedarwood. The soft oil was FCO since that's what I have on hand at the moment. They feel just a tad greasy to me, but every form of CO always feels greasy to me. I may end up remelting them and adding a titch of IPM.

Both sets went into some tins that I had on hand, and thankfully both of them said they don't need labels. Huzzah.

Today was lotion bar day. The first batch was made for a very dear friend, so it was a luxe version with lavender EO, organic local beeswax, mango butter, kukui nut oil and raspberry seed oil.

The next batch was made for a friend who wanted something that "smelled like the lotion bar your friend sent last year" - referring to @Zing's lotion bar that she ended up taking over as her own. I couldn't remember exactly which bar she stole received from me, but she thought it smelled citrusy, so she got a blend of sweet orange and cedarwood. The soft oil was FCO since that's what I have on hand at the moment. They feel just a tad greasy to me, but every form of CO always feels greasy to me. I may end up remelting them and adding a titch of IPM.

Both sets went into some tins that I had on hand, and thankfully both of them said they don't need labels. Huzzah.
So apparently yesterday was National Lotion Bar Day and I should have waited for this post so I could just copy and paste into my post! Except I ran out of raspberry seed oil.
I do like fractionated coconut oil because it absorbs into my skin way faster than coconut oil.
And how cool is it that if you don't like your bars, just remelt and add something!

I am finding it hard to wrap my head around the fact that it is Christmas Eve. It may sink in when we get to church for the Christmas Eve service. While there, I'll be delivering bath bombs, lotion bars, and today's project: some foaming sugar scrubs that a friend asked for yesterday as a gift for her mom. The scrub recipe is from DIY Bath & Body. This batch is scented with a blend of Plumeria and Hardwood Musk, both from California Candle Supply. The blend recommendation is courtesy of @cmzaha. So many women who normally hate (or don't prefer) floral scents absolutely love this one, including me!

IMG_2037.jpeg

@AliOop - I bet it feels good to be getting special orders! I have that foaming sugar scrub recipe and need to give it a try. One of my New Year’s resolution is to delve into B&B.

My last minute making for friends included a few M&P soaps last night and then shampoo and conditioner bars (Stephenson’s m&p type), lip balms, skin balms and an eye serum with matcha tea-infused oil today. One of the skin balms is made with comfrey and plantain-infused oils. I usually include calendula-infused oil but discovered I was out, so I tried lemon balm and lavender-infused oils for a twist. Very Jan Berry-ish. I also made a few tins of DeeAnna’s recipe for an antiseptic balm with thyme and lavender essential oils. I can’t make whipped sugar scrub, but I sure can mix beeswax and oils together!

@AliOop , I love plumeria, it is intoxicating. I've mentioned before that I will use my plumeria lotion bars only at nighttime so that I don't go to work smelling like flowers. The whole manly man thang.

Mrs. Zing and I didn't exchange gifts this year because a couple house projects -- both planned and unexpected -- were our Christmas presents to each other. We're romantic that way. But today I did make her some more lavender foot balm. It's shea butter, beeswax, and golden jojoba (disportionately more shea), plus lavender essential oil.

Don't worry, @Zing your secret is safe here with the 15k members of SMF! 😁

PS: @Zing as recommended by @cmzaha I mix 10-20% Hardwood Musk with the plumeria to make a unisex blend. Even people who don’t like musk, don’t like plumeria, or don’t like either one, are attracted to this blend. It might be an option that would allow you to use your plumeria products during the day without anyone revoking your man card. 😉

Last edited:
I was excited to try out my hemp seed oil that fell into my lap as there was an active thread about it -- and made lotion bars. Mrs. Zing has chronic joint and muscle pain and I had high hopes for a miracle cure. However, I'm really not liking the scent! I added clove bud essential oil. I just poured it so will take a breath, let it set, and then smell later.

I placed an order for ingredients for...wait for it...shampoo bars. It's long been on my bucket list/New Year's resolutions. Now my friends and family can get off my back. 'Preciate all the tips from my peeps coming in to my private messages!

My son today is still completely tickled pink and impressed with his first batch of lotion bars. He used beeswax, shea butter, fractionated coconut oil, and scented with sage essential oil. I used one of my Avery.com label templates which just sent him over the edge.

I'm still not crazy with my first batch of lotion bars made with hemp seed oil. It's the scent. Both Mrs. Zing and Zing Jr say I'm crazy and that they think it helps with muscle and joint pain, so I guess hemp now will be in rotation.

Latest posts

Back